The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: The Only way is Up? - The Gooners match thread

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 pm

hi there, i'm chris wrote:
chaddy_bwfc wrote:
hi there, i'm chris wrote:Wheater was excellent in the first half, and the red was very soft. Was always going to go once Walcott went down. Feel for the lad as this was his chance.

I wasn't really paying much attention when we went 2-0 down, but Boyata seemed to be decent enough at center back too.

Robinson needs to be dropped though. I like him, and he doesn't do an awful lot wrong, but every goal seem to come from the left, and he doesn't have the pace to stop crosses from coming in. Give Ricky a chance at left back when fit I say.
He doesn't do a lot wrong, apart from defending crosses....isn't that his job?
And that's why he should be dropped.
Where's simon charlton when you need him!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:56 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Mark Clattenburg can f*ck off. Just not a foul, ever. Ran alongside Wheater and fell over, the diving little shit. Hope his hamstring is fecked, coz without pace he's shite.

That out of the way, there were a lot more positives from that than the last few weeks. We were comfortable first half, Knight, Robinson and Steinsson were good, Wheater excellent. Muamba and Reo Coker did very well too. Nice to see that dropping Davies when he isn't playing well is now a thing. We played well first half, but N'Gog's injury meant Davies was the only option (Kakuta, up front on his own? Feck off back to FIFA). Davo was shit on the ground, and won everything in the air, mainly coz Koscielny is wank. Very impotent once N'Gog went off though. Eagles is never a premiership player. Oh well, at least Torres can't score against us. Just the old boys. Gulp.

Get pea-head back for Wigan, we'll be reet. Though he'll probably do his knee on their shit pitch.
I don't dispute that the first half was ok, apart from putting Davies on when N'gog was injured. Two things happened to us - we lost N'gogs movement and then Wheater was sent off. Unfortunately, it wasn't just about us. I believe Arsenal were given a kick up the arse at half time and stepped up a gear in the second. We should have countered that by putting on some attacking pace. Putting on Davies was tantamount to saying "we give up". I don't agree that Robinson had a good game and Jussi's positioning again was suspect.

As to your comment about Kakuta and Tuncay, get out of here, it ain't been tried by us and you have no idea whether it would be better than the "only option" who provide the square root of nothing.
I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. Tuncay is never in a million years a lone striker, no matter who might be playing in midfield; and Kakuta's about half the size of your average adult grasshopper, so how you think he'd be alright playing up front on his own I'll never know. When Ngog was coming off, Davies was THE ONLY OPTION for us, and certainly wasn't "tantamount to saying "we give up"".

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Mark Clattenburg can f*ck off. Just not a foul, ever. Ran alongside Wheater and fell over, the diving little shit. Hope his hamstring is fecked, coz without pace he's shite.

That out of the way, there were a lot more positives from that than the last few weeks. We were comfortable first half, Knight, Robinson and Steinsson were good, Wheater excellent. Muamba and Reo Coker did very well too. Nice to see that dropping Davies when he isn't playing well is now a thing. We played well first half, but N'Gog's injury meant Davies was the only option (Kakuta, up front on his own? Feck off back to FIFA). Davo was shit on the ground, and won everything in the air, mainly coz Koscielny is wank. Very impotent once N'Gog went off though. Eagles is never a premiership player. Oh well, at least Torres can't score against us. Just the old boys. Gulp.

Get pea-head back for Wigan, we'll be reet. Though he'll probably do his knee on their shit pitch.
I don't dispute that the first half was ok, apart from putting Davies on when N'gog was injured. Two things happened to us - we lost N'gogs movement and then Wheater was sent off. Unfortunately, it wasn't just about us. I believe Arsenal were given a kick up the arse at half time and stepped up a gear in the second. We should have countered that by putting on some attacking pace. Putting on Davies was tantamount to saying "we give up". I don't agree that Robinson had a good game and Jussi's positioning again was suspect.

As to your comment about Kakuta and Tuncay, get out of here, it ain't been tried by us and you have no idea whether it would be better than the "only option" who provide the square root of nothing.
There's probably a reason it hasn't been tried by us (including in the reserve matches). It's probably the same reason we haven't tried Reo Coker on the wing or Petrov as defensive mid.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:59 pm

chaddy_bwfc wrote:
chaddy_bwfc wrote:
hi there, i'm chris wrote:Wheater was excellent in the first half, and the red was very soft. Was always going to go once Walcott went down. Feel for the lad as this was his chance.

I wasn't really paying much attention when we went 2-0 down, but Boyata seemed to be decent enough at center back too.

Robinson needs to be dropped though. I like him, and he doesn't do an awful lot wrong, but every goal seem to come from the left, and he doesn't have the pace to stop crosses from coming in. Give Ricky a chance at left back when fit I say.
He doesn't do a lot wrong, apart from defending crosses....isn't that his job?
And that's why he should be dropped.
Where's simon charlton when you need him!
Still leaking information to the media last I heard!
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:01 pm

As far as I'm concerned that call was shit. Not a single person in the bar saw it as a foul either.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:05 pm

chaddy_bwfc wrote: He doesn't do a lot wrong, apart from defending crosses....isn't that his job?
not really.

i'd be asking why the midfield lets these wingers get these crosses in in the first place.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:06 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's bullshit. Tuncay is never in a million years a lone striker, no matter who might be playing in midfield; and Kakuta's about half the size of your average adult grasshopper, so how you think he'd be alright playing up front on his own I'll never know. When Ngog was coming off, Davies was THE ONLY OPTION for us, and certainly wasn't "tantamount to saying "we give up"".
Who said Tuncay as lone striker? I said linking attacking midfielder playing in "the hole" behind a quick striker. Grasshopper, as in Defoe?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:08 pm

We just never seem 'up' for games like this anymore.

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm

a1 wrote:
chaddy_bwfc wrote: He doesn't do a lot wrong, apart from defending crosses....isn't that his job?
not really.

i'd be asking why the midfield lets these wingers get these crosses in in the first place.
What is his job then? to let the midfielders to the defending? 8)

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:18 pm

chaddy_bwfc wrote:
they must be ghosting past the left winger.

but he'll not drop him , he's his elmander.

doesnt get the stick elmander got though.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:22 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:

Jesus Christ? Are you advocating that we don't try until someone easy comes along? It ain't going to happen lad. None of them are easy and you may realise at some point that you must shake things up to get out of a hole. Your attitude sounds complacent and I don't like that.
Don't be ridiculous. You sound like you expected us to be in a decent position. Reality check, we were always going to struggle. Until we play matches that we are expected to get results then nothing needs 'shaking'.

If we had the same start against teams like Swansea, West Brom, Blackburn, Wigan then yeah, I would be much more worried. But as it stands, we would have been expected to have had a win against Norwich and perhaps a draw at a difficult opening game fixture at QPR. We tonked them, but put in a poor performance against Norwich.

I'm disappointed that we didn't show more against Liverpool and Man Utd, but Man Utd are in a whole different class to anyone else at the moment, and we never do anything at Anfield. Even today, up until the soft sending off we were very much in the game and given a bit of luck we could have walked away with a point.

If we're in the same position after we've had our run of Wigan, Sunderland, Swansea, Stoke and West Brom, then I'll be worried. At the moment, I'm cursing the bad run of fixtures we've been given.
Tell you what, just go on thinking that the sunny uplands can be reached by playing the same selections and tactics after Chelsea. Yes, it all makes sense now that I have started back on the old Peruvian marching powder.

chaddy_bwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by chaddy_bwfc » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:29 pm

a1 wrote:
chaddy_bwfc wrote:
they must be ghosting past the left winger.

but he'll not drop him , he's his elmander.

doesnt get the stick elmander got though.
yeah i'm really hoping that coyle dropping SKD is a step in the right direction and that he doesn't stop there when someone's having a horrible time, like robinson. I hope he puts Gardner at left back for the next game because there can't possibly be any more crosses coming in from that side than what's been getting put in so far.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:37 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

Jesus Christ? Are you advocating that we don't try until someone easy comes along? It ain't going to happen lad. None of them are easy and you may realise at some point that you must shake things up to get out of a hole. Your attitude sounds complacent and I don't like that.
Don't be ridiculous. You sound like you expected us to be in a decent position. Reality check, we were always going to struggle. Until we play matches that we are expected to get results then nothing needs 'shaking'.

If we had the same start against teams like Swansea, West Brom, Blackburn, Wigan then yeah, I would be much more worried. But as it stands, we would have been expected to have had a win against Norwich and perhaps a draw at a difficult opening game fixture at QPR. We tonked them, but put in a poor performance against Norwich.

I'm disappointed that we didn't show more against Liverpool and Man Utd, but Man Utd are in a whole different class to anyone else at the moment, and we never do anything at Anfield. Even today, up until the soft sending off we were very much in the game and given a bit of luck we could have walked away with a point.

If we're in the same position after we've had our run of Wigan, Sunderland, Swansea, Stoke and West Brom, then I'll be worried. At the moment, I'm cursing the bad run of fixtures we've been given.
Tell you what, just go on thinking that the sunny uplands can be reached by playing the same selections and tactics after Chelsea. Yes, it all makes sense now that I have started back on the old Peruvian marching powder.
We played the same selection and tactics against QPR and beat them 4-0, and also scored two against City.

He then shuffled the pack and beat Villa.

Like it's been covered, things looked promosing against Arsenal until we went a man down. Couple of things might need changing, but to suggest we need a complete overhaul because we've been losing to who you would assume will be the top 5 come the end of the season is a massive over reaction.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Personally,I thought (as i think a lot of fans did) that we'd be bottom after the first 7 games, but i expected 4 points. I was hoping for a point at QPR which i thought would of been tougher than it was and a win against Norwich. So i was pleased that we got 3 on the opening day, and thought we'd get something last week, which was really disappointing,as the firts half was dire.

I fear that after the Chelsea game if we get cut a drift so early on we could end up playing catch up for sometime.

For me our saving grace could be the run in as our last 11 games are all really winnable.

I was listening briefly today and Gowling stated that our season starts after the Chelsea game, it sounded a bit defeatest, and I hope we throw evertything at them and try and get something from the game.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:52 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

We played the same selection and tactics against QPR and beat them 4-0, and also scored two against City.

Like it's been covered, things looked promosing against Arsenal until we went a man down. Couple of things might need changing, but to suggest we need a complete overhaul because we've been losing to who you would assume will be the top 5 come the end of the season is a massive over reaction.
It's cool, man. Massive over reaction eh? What are, in your opinion, the couple of things which might need changing Mr Complacent?
And of couse you are right. I didn't think that we would beat Scum, Citeh, Scousers or possibly Arsenal at home. However, it is the manner of the defeats and what that has done to morale. If I am correct, there will be more than a loss against Chelsea before we start to perform again. I can see at least a loss to Wigan and probably Sunderland as well. By then we could be so marooned at the foot of the table that such a massive handicap will be all but impossible to overcome.
Do you understand what I am saying or do you still think it will just be a matter of flicking a switch after Chelsea and everything clicks back into place.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:55 pm

yeah i'm really hoping that coyle dropping SKD is a step in the right direction and that he doesn't stop there when someone's having a horrible time, like robinson. I hope he puts Gardner at left back for the next game because there can't possibly be any more crosses coming in from that side than what's been getting put in so far.
i was being highly repetative in blaming petrov for not doing enough work.

that he didnt play midweek and they won were a big "this might be the problem" alarm .

that and muamba getting subbed all the time, then losing by more goals once he's not on.

its pop idol football we arent good enough for.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Excellent defensive display in the first half. Thought Wheater, Knight and Robbo were very good and we didn't seem to miss Cahill. Once again we have complaints about Robbo and Knight seemingly without acknowledgement that we had 10 men for most of the second half. It's hard enough away at Arsenal but when you're a man down you're going to get tired and pulled out of position all over the pitch and it should be no surprise an eleven man Arsenal can get the ball behind the back four to a player of Walcott's pace.

Team was weaker with the forced change for NGog - KD can win balls in the air but more often than not returns possession and his footwork is so poor. This was highlighted by a wonderful pass from Robbo in the first half to put him free and he completely missed the ball. I'm approaching the "anyone but" stage with KD.(Knee Jerk alert)

Dreadful from Jussi for that first goal, once again beaten at the near post. That changed the game. He made some other good saves but frankly nothing I wouldn't expect from a premier league keeper.

Soft red for me - probably a freekick and a booking at most but Clattenberg at Arsenal and the outcome is certain. We were still in it up to then and perhaps could have managed a point.

None of us really expected much from our opening fixtures but it's going to be tough to keep spirits up nonetheless.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Soft red card, Clattenburg gave us nothing, Jussi beaten at his near post (again). This could be a story of bad luck or it could be one of poor decisions and tactics. I'm still not sure which but I suspect the latter.

3 from us, Wigan, Swansea and Jackburn to drop. It's not looking good, even at this stage of the season if we can't get our best team out as a consistent 11.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:14 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

It's cool, man. Massive over reaction eh? What are, in your opinion, the couple of things which might need changing Mr Complacent?
And of couse you are right. I didn't think that we would beat Scum, Citeh, Scousers or possibly Arsenal at home. However, it is the manner of the defeats and what that has done to morale. If I am correct, there will be more than a loss against Chelsea before we start to perform again. I can see at least a loss to Wigan and probably Sunderland as well. By then we could be so marooned at the foot of the table that such a massive handicap will be all but impossible to overcome.
Do you understand what I am saying or do you still think it will just be a matter of flicking a switch after Chelsea and everything clicks back into place.
Didn't you read the bit where I said that confidence will be low due to us losing to the top teams? That's actually my main worry when we go into the 'easier' games. It's a direct result of us having such a difficult start.

I agree that the manner of the defeats has been disappointing, and we could have done much more to stop Man Utd in particular. But the fact is that we shouldn't be judged until we have a better run of games. If you're saying we need a overhaul as a result of what the damage of losing to the top teams has done to us, then you might be right, time will tell. But todays first half, and the Villa match doesn't suggest that.

Stuart Holden coming back will make a massive difference.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Its' Sammy Lee time if you ask me, we are facing the same problems, on paper we look good but on the field we are utter shite, big time shite!
Coyle does not look like a man for this type of situation don't forget Burnley were on their way out when we poached Coyle and that hardly bodes well given our current problems THIS IS MORE OR LESS COYLES SQUAD AND HIS TINKERING ABOUT AIN'T WORKING!
Couple more results like this and it must be time for Coyle out! and that ain't no knee jerk either its evidence of own eyes.