Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Seeing as no-one else has. HULL.

Post by Athers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am

Thing is with Pratley, I imagine a lot of us are eyeing up a team without him in it if you think about accomodating people like Holden, Kamara and Mark Davies and/or two forwards.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 am

Athers wrote:Thing is with Pratley, I imagine a lot of us are eyeing up a team without him in it if you think about accomodating people like Holden, Kamara and Mark Davies and/or two forwards.
I think we have to be looking to next season.

Holden hasn't started a game yet. Is he going to even get a new contract? Is he fit really or still struggling? I have my suspicions.

Will NGog leave? Wouldn't surprise me. Will SKD go?

I can easily see us playing Pratley behind a striker next season, with say MD and Kamara in midfield.

Who knows. Lot of water to flow under the bridge before then.

Right now I'd say it'd be hard to shift Pratley out the side assuming we essentially play 3 CM's irrespective of the 1 or two up front.

IF we went to a conventional 4-4-2 (and I don't think we ever should) but if we did, that might be different.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 am

Athers wrote:Thing is with Pratley, I imagine a lot of us are eyeing up a team without him in it if you think about accomodating people like Holden, Kamara and Mark Davies and/or two forwards.
A good point and one to be honest had slipped my mind.

Still if in the long-run Spearing goes and Holden gets back to full fitness you'd have a midfield trio of Holden and Kamara, with an Advanced Davies. Leaving Pratley and, presumably, a fit-again Andrews on the bench.

I think that's fine. The two CMs will have to work unbelievably hard, so having someone of Pratley's athleticism is an asset to have on the bench in such a demanding role.

Though as the crazy fella says, Having that midfield trio as a starting one seems a distant prospect so far.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm

That first goal was excellent.. Genuine class that, whether you like it or not, this group of players is capable of consistently producing.

But I enjoyed the 4th more. A real desire to keep the ball alive and a smart finish.. Reminded me of the sort of goal we'd have score 6 years ago, just out of pure grit and power.

The performance was there this time and if we keep up that level and that kind of ruthlessness and desire in and around the oppo's box, we've a lot to look forward to.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:That first goal was excellent.. Genuine class that, whether you like it or not, this group of players is capable of consistently producing.

But I enjoyed the 4th more. A real desire to keep the ball alive and a smart finish.. Reminded me of the sort of goal we'd have score 6 years ago, just out of pure grit and power.

The performance was there this time and if we keep up that level and that kind of ruthlessness and desire in and around the oppo's box, we've a lot to look forward to.
Do you not think it wasn't that much different to most of our performances since Freedman arrived, only we scored with our first three chances?

Be interesting to see what would have happened say if we'd only scored one or two of them.

Taking chances was the main difference IMO.

I think we've been pretty consistent since Freedman came in, pretty solid, with a plan in place. Our downfall has been that we haven't taken a high enough percentage of chances to kill games off. Until Saturday at least.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Surely having a bit of dependable depth is also a consideration? Injury, loss of form and the competitive desire to get in the team will be a real motivation to play well. Sean Davies, Mears,(permanent) Holden, Mills, Wheater, Mark Davies and Chungy have all been victims and omissions. If we want to move on then the likes of Pratley on current form are a must have in a strong squad? A lack of money to buy new quality is also a major consideration.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:That first goal was excellent.. Genuine class that, whether you like it or not, this group of players is capable of consistently producing.

Do you not think it wasn't that much different to most of our performances since Freedman arrived, only we scored with our first three chances?

Be interesting to see what would have happened say if we'd only scored one or two of them.

I think we've been pretty consistent since Freedman came in, pretty solid, with a plan in place. Our downfall has been that we haven't taken a high enough percentage of chances to kill games off. Until Saturday at least.
No.. I think we attacked with more pace and purpose. Having the extra man in an attacking position helped that. The ball was sticking up front for longer periods than normal... I know you don't like 4-4-2 when we play it.. But when your midfielders are doing their jobs and you have a defender playing as well as Dawson is, then the system we played on Saturday is the way to go. Interchangeable and flowing.

When Ngog is on it, he really is such a difference in advanced areas and I think the manager is coming round this fact, too. I'm happy for him not to score goals as long as we win games with him setting them up and stretching the opposition. People can point to his goal record.. But there's more to his (and our) game than him providing the finishing touch. At times he reduced the number of their midfielders just by taking up positions. That's priceless.

Sordell wasn't as isolated as he has been when he's played previously, although I don't think he had his best game, he still showed some glimpses of quality and having somebody remotely close to him helped.

We really, really don't miss KD when he doersn't play.. Quite the opposite in fact

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Definitely..

If you named your preferred XI in any formation with everybody available, I reckon the overwhelming majority (including me) wouldn't have him in there

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No.. I think we attacked with more pace and purpose. Having the extra man in an attacking position helped that. The ball was sticking up front for longer periods than normal... I know you don't like 4-4-2 when we play it.. But when your midfielders are doing their jobs and you have a defender playing as well as Dawson is, then the system we played on Saturday is the way to go. Interchangeable and flowing.

When Ngog is on it, he really is such a difference in advanced areas and I think the manager is coming round this fact, too. I'm happy for him not to score goals as long as we win games with him setting them up and stretching the opposition. People can point to his goal record.. But there's more to his (and our) game than him providing the finishing touch. At times he reduced the number of their midfielders just by taking up positions. That's priceless.

Sordell wasn't as isolated as he has been when he's played previously, although I don't think he had his best game, he still showed some glimpses of quality and having somebody remotely close to him helped.

We really, really don't miss KD when he doersn't play.. Quite the opposite in fact
I don't think the system we played was bad. I don't think we can play 2 wingers in a 4 in fact I'm certain we can't. But we played a narrower, diamond like 4-4-2. Which worked, because we got early goals.

Should Peterborough sit back in numbers and we don't score early, I expect people will be clamouring for width to break them down.

But I liked the system played on Saturday. I think it was pretty much the team I suggested. NGog plays well behind the front man especially when Mark Davies and Chungy have a licence to get involved.

I thought Sordell was pretty shite though. And actually didn't hold the ball up at all well. Which is why he went off. His touch is also absolutely shocking. Ridiculously bad. Clearly he's instinctive around the box, but for me, we carry him elsewhere.

I still think for large periods we had to defend well, and we did. But the last 25 minutes of the first half could have "felt" very different if we'd missed a couple of those early chances. And I suspect you'd have been back on here saying "we sit too deep and are too negative". Or words to that effect.

I don't think personally that this system will work all the time but lets see what happens. I hope we beat Peterborough, because that will get the consecutive wins monkey off our backs. I think it'll be a harder game than Saturday was though.......

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't think the system we played was bad. I don't think we can play 2 wingers in a 4 in fact I'm certain we can't. But we played a narrower, diamond like 4-4-2. Which worked, because we got early goals.

Should Peterborough sit back in numbers and we don't score early, I expect people will be clamouring for width to break them down.

But I liked the system played on Saturday. I think it was pretty much the team I suggested. NGog plays well behind the front man especially when Mark Davies and Chungy have a licence to get involved.

I thought Sordell was pretty shite though. And actually didn't hold the ball up at all well. Which is why he went off. His touch is also absolutely shocking. Ridiculously bad. Clearly he's instinctive around the box, but for me, we carry him elsewhere.

I still think for large periods we had to defend well, and we did. But the last 25 minutes of the first half could have "felt" very different if we'd missed a couple of those early chances. And I suspect you'd have been back on here saying "we sit too deep and are too negative". Or words to that effect.

I don't think personally that this system will work all the time but lets see what happens. I hope we beat Peterborough, because that will get the consecutive wins monkey off our backs. I think it'll be a harder game than Saturday was though.......
I would have if it was 0-0.. But it wasn't.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there. :conf:

At 3-0, you'd expect the opposition to come onto you and you have to deal with that.. Which we did.

But the fact is we started positively, aggressively and with an extra striker.. And we reaped the rewards. Which is what I've been getting at for a while now.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

A flat 4-4-2 or slightly variations of it are the best formation for us. There is no doubting this anymore, and if we play a line striker for a single game of the rest of the season, I'll be shocked. Even SKD can be accommodated into a partnership up front, so I wouldn't write him off yet.

Speaking of Pratley, he isn't and never will be Premier League quality. He's good for this league though but if we went up, I wouldn't be calling for to start against better sides. He'd be fine as a rotational player but he's too technically limited against good opposition, and his excellent workate in the Championship leaves him out of position and exposed in the Premier League.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:06 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:A flat 4-4-2 or slightly variations of it are the best formation for us. There is no doubting this anymore, and if we play a line striker for a single game of the rest of the season, I'll be shocked. Even SKD can be accommodated into a partnership up front, so I wouldn't write him off yet.

Speaking of Pratley, he isn't and never will be Premier League quality. He's good for this league though but if we went up, I wouldn't be calling for to start against better sides. He'd be fine as a rotational player but he's too technically limited against good opposition, and his excellent workate in the Championship leaves him out of position and exposed in the Premier League.
1) We played a narrow diamond 4-4-2 with NGog behind Sordell and no real right winger.

2) We played 4-4-2 against Sheff Weds lost, then 4-5-1 the following game against Brum and won. People at the time said (and I think it was Bruce Rioja but I could be wrong) thats our best team and system stick with it. We need to be adaptable. We need to be able to play different systems otherwise a) we're predictable and b) we are stuffed if someone gets injured.

It would be nice to think that the system change was the magical formula to success, but sadly I don't think it is. Dawson (a defender who can actually defend rather than act like a fecking pretty boy) has helped massively. And Mark Davies coming back has also made a big difference.

Taking our chances also significantly helped.

I hope it continues.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

AN ODE TO A POSTCODE...

Be glad that Bolton’s had a win
We made sure Hull left in a spin
But even better than all that
We’ve lost a stinging little gnat

Of his questions we grow weary
On and on his endless query
Frustration peaks, don’t tell me he’s gone
Answers to our questions: none!

Going on and on with his point of view
we’ve heard before. There’s nothing new.
Postcode praising Burnley’s Sean Dyche
Or Mick McCarthy the Yorkshire tyke

Where the feckinell is he?
We’ve had a win. He’s all at sea.
Saturday, Sunday, Monday came
Soon be time for another game

Be glad he is not in your face
He’s posting on another place
So in our win we can celebrate
We’ve put off this week our gloomy fate

Enoch now can rest awhile
hid safe away from venomous bile
and recuperate from being struck dumb
It’s not much fun to be called a plum
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

:lol:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:AN ODE TO A POSTCODE...

Does nothing rhyme with knobwelly?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:18 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Pwllheli?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:AN ODE TO A POSTCODE...

Maybe BL3 was busy
And is now in a total tizzy
Highlights are on the telly
so turn it on you knobwelly
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Nothing rhymes with orange!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Nothing rhymes with orange!
Do not tempt me to rhyme orange
I'll weld you to a large steel flange
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:1) We played a narrow diamond 4-4-2 with NGog behind Sordell and no real right winger.
As long as you still have width at times, which we did, that's not an issue. The key for us is stability in midfield and having options up front. Whether it's a flat 4 or a narrow diamond, it doesn't really matter. This is working for us at the moment.
BWFC_Insane wrote:2) We played 4-4-2 against Sheff Weds lost, then 4-5-1 the following game against Brum and won. People at the time said (and I think it was Bruce Rioja but I could be wrong) thats our best team and system stick with it. We need to be adaptable. We need to be able to play different systems otherwise a) we're predictable and b) we are stuffed if someone gets injured.
The games Wednesday and Birmingham were months ago, so I'm not sure how relevant they are. We hear every day from Freedman about how we're "getting there" and becoming the team he wants, so our performances months ago are less relevant than recent games.

In recent games, going two up front has worked. The midfield may lack one extra man but, as I said to you a couple of weeks ago, we'd be more structured there, which has been proven right. We are also more threatening going forward.

Predictability isn't really an issue if you're better than everyone else. Barcelona play one style of football and have been the best team in the world for years. They don't change their style and their formation is always the same, even if it means players like Ibra are left out, or players like Fabregas have to switch positions to suit the system. Unpredictability doesn't just work against your opposition, it can work against you, so we'd be much better off finding a system and sticking with it.