Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 29, 2018 4:30 pm

If we HAVE offered him a deal, that he's turned down, we will be due some form of compensayion from whoever takes him on. If it's Dog & Duck FC, I imagine it'll be % of future sell-on
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue May 29, 2018 6:50 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm
I've got a mate who is an fc-utd fan - where King was sent on loan - going from what he said - King was a cut above anyone else they had on their books

I don't get it - we spend loads on developing players like Jeff King - and then never get a bean for them - just let their contracts run down and never try to sell them

Oscar Threlkeld being a good example
Oscar seems to be doing well. Signed for a Belgian First Division A side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Threlkeld

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am

The BN links us with some fella at Walsall. "Creative midfielder". Allegedly.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ht_for_Oz/
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 am
He's looked a good player at Wallsall. But he's 27 and hasn't played above league one level in this country.

It worries me really, how many 27 year olds move up and are key players in championship sides?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 am

I like Oztumer and I'd like us to sign him, not least to show that our intended gameplan has more intricacy than RunHardAndHitItToTheBigMan, but there doesn't seem a lot of fire below that smoke. All Mike Glendinning says is "could", "might", "potentially".

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am

He looks good and I think he would offer something different. He has scored 15 goals from attacking midfield in each of the last two seasons. Vela could barely score or assist at all last season. Here are his 2016/17 goals and assists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2knloSF6a0

A lot of those goals/assists translate to a higher level I feel. The downside would be he probably wouldn't offer much defensive protection for the two deeper midfielders, but really we shouldn't be playing an attacking midfielder based on his defensive capabilities. On a free transfer, there is absolutely nothing to lose.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 am
He looks good and I think he would offer something different. He has scored 15 goals from attacking midfield in each of the last two seasons. Vela could barely score or assist at all last season. Here are his 2016/17 goals and assists:

A lot of those goals/assists translate to a higher level I feel. The downside would be he probably wouldn't offer much defensive protection for the two deeper midfielders, but really we shouldn't be playing an attacking midfielder based on his defensive capabilities. On a free transfer, there is absolutely nothing to lose.
Yet he banged 10 in league one...

Be very careful signing players who are already in their "prime" yet haven't played above league one level. I think its a huge risk. No doubt he'd be expensive as a few are interested.

I'm not convinced to be honest. That sort of player, who hasn't tested himself at a higher level is a big risk. Bigger than a physical sort, who relies on their strength. Because that often translates well, but the smaller players with good technique often look more and more average the higher up the ladder they go, and become luxuries.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Be very careful signing players who are already in their "prime" yet haven't played above league one level. I think its a huge risk. No doubt he'd be expensive as a few are interested.

I'm not convinced to be honest. That sort of player, who hasn't tested himself at a higher level is a big risk. Bigger than a physical sort, who relies on their strength. Because that often translates well, but the smaller players with good technique often look more and more average the higher up the ladder they go, and become luxuries.
Yep he might not come off. But he has something we don't have. We don't have skill, awareness or the ability to score from outside the box in a no. 10 role. When you are fishing in the upper L1, rock bottom Championship free transfer market like we appear to be, then we have to gamble to some extent...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

Yes, famously technical ability becomes less and less important the further up the leagues you go.

He sounds like the diametric opposite to Darren and, for that reason alone, I am in. He's my #1 transfer target. Haven't seen him play mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
He's looked a good player at Wallsall. But he's 27 and hasn't played above league one level in this country.

It worries me really, how many 27 year olds move up and are key players in championship sides?
That's literally Gary Madine!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:03 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Yep he might not come off. But he has something we don't have. We don't have skill, awareness or the ability to score from outside the box in a no. 10 role. When you are fishing in the upper L1, rock bottom Championship free transfer market like we appear to be, then we have to gamble to some extent...
He's the sort you have to build your team around, and if he doesn't come off in the championship then its a problem....

I'd rather we scoured the market for younger players with energy, look lower league, look abroad....I can see a player like him coming in, being knocked off the ball for a few games, then disappearing for months save for the odd cameo off the bench. And costing a fair chunk of wages in the process. I'm unconvinced he's going to be what we need in the cut and thrust of the bottom end of the championship.

I look at teams that did well on lower budgets, like Millwall and Sheffield United and they weren't built around players like that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

Madine had played championship football before though....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 10:14 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am
Yes, famously technical ability becomes less and less important the further up the leagues you go.

He sounds like the diametric opposite to Darren and, for that reason alone, I am in. He's my #1 transfer target. Haven't seen him play mind.
Cullen had all the technical ability in the world.......

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

Madine had played championship football before though....
Absolutely appallingly. It's not a different sport with different rules. He wasn't good enough when he was 23, he was when he was 26.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 30, 2018 10:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:14 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

Cullen had all the technical ability in the world.......
I mean, he didn't.

And no-one is suggesting we play this whatshisface in front of the back 4. Certain positions I don't necessarily disagree with your 6'2 athlete fetish, but a tricky attacking player is one I do.

Also, no way Parky plays this guy and ALF together so him signing basically guarantees you a lump up top at all times. Happy days!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He's the sort you have to build your team around, and if he doesn't come off in the championship then its a problem....

I'd rather we scoured the market for younger players with energy, look lower league, look abroad....I can see a player like him coming in, being knocked off the ball for a few games, then disappearing for months save for the odd cameo off the bench. And costing a fair chunk of wages in the process. I'm unconvinced he's going to be what we need in the cut and thrust of the bottom end of the championship.

I look at teams that did well on lower budgets, like Millwall and Sheffield United and they weren't built around players like that.
I don't see us needing to build our team around him. We play 4-2-3-1 as it is. Morais played in the centre of the attacking three when Vela was injured. To me, Oztumer would fit nicely into that role. Even if he doesn't come off he would be an attacking option off the bench. On a free transfer, and he would have to fit into our wage structure for us to sign him, I don't see a lot of downside, and potentially tons of upside....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 30, 2018 10:30 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:18 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:09 pm
Shrewsbury, despite an outstanding season where they came third with 87 points, one more point than we achieved last season in coming 2nd, lost to Rotherham in the L1 play off final, meaning all three clubs relegated from the Championship last year have been promoted back into it. Perhaps this shows just how wide the gulf between these two leagues has become. Manager Paul Hurst is expected to move on to bigger things, and a number of their players might be of interest to us. Aristote Nsiala is a 6ft 4in athletic no-nonsense CB, Ben Godfrey is an athletic 20 year old defensive midfielder currently on loan from Norwich, Jon Nolan looks a good attacking midfielder with 9 goals from 40 games in a relatively low scoring side, and Stefan Payne with 10 goals from 17 starts and 19 sub appearances and Carlton Morris (on loan from Norwich) 6 goals from 27 starts are both strong, athletic target men.
I don't know much about them and I know there'll be some who say they're not worth the risk, but (again, per Transfermarkt) they have a lot of freebies this summer: captain Abu Ogogo (CM, 28), Junior Brown (LB, 28), Lenell John-Lewis (CF, 29), Alex Rodman (LW, 31), AJ Leitch-Smith (CF, 28), Joe Riley (RB, ex-BWFC, 26), Craig MacGillivray (GK, 25), Dominic Smith (CB, 22), Arthur Gnahoua (CF, 25), Shaun Rowley (GK, 21).

Of the Shrews players you mention, Aristote Nsiala has one year left, as does Stefan Payne. Nolan's contracted to 2020 so would be a bit dearer. Carlton Morris has a Norwich contract for two years but he's 22 now so they might be hoping he can cut it in our division; a loan to us would make sense for him and them, if not necessarily for us (6 from 27 isn't stunning). Ben Godfrey is only 20 and contracted to 2021 but again if we wanted him I'm sure they'd be happy to let us take the risk.
Hurst has gone already, to Ipswich. This will surely unsettle some of the players mentioned, who might be of interest to us.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:33 am

Yes DSB, I can see a few of those players going to Ipswich now...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't see us needing to build our team around him. We play 4-2-3-1 as it is. Morais played in the centre of the attacking three when Vela was injured. To me, Oztumer would fit nicely into that role. Even if he doesn't come off he would be an attacking option off the bench. On a free transfer, and he would have to fit into our wage structure for us to sign him, I don't see a lot of downside, and potentially tons of upside....
We played 4-2-3-1 a lot. But that is just numbers of a page. Whoever played in that role did a hell of a lot of work. And lets be honest, for all his failings technically we still play that system best when Vela is in that role with a target ahead of him.

If you're buying Oztumer you aren't sticking him behind a target man and telling him to run about. So we'd have to significantly alter how we played, which would be building a team that suits a technical number 10....I'm doubting we can do that in one summer.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We played 4-2-3-1 a lot. But that is just numbers of a page. Whoever played in that role did a hell of a lot of work. And lets be honest, for all his failings technically we still play that system best when Vela is in that role with a target ahead of him.

If you're buying Oztumer you aren't sticking him behind a target man and telling him to run about. So we'd have to significantly alter how we played, which would be building a team that suits a technical number 10....I'm doubting we can do that in one summer.
I mean we have problems all over the pitch. Wheavers are too vulnerable to any kind of attacking play so the midfield has to play deeper. Then the midfield can't support our target man up front, so Vela has to cover a lot of ground to compensate. At it's best it just about worked when Madine was playing well. We were just about solid enough at home, we nicked a goal and clung on. Away we were always hopeless. But over a full season it won't work with the personnel we currently have assuming our current squad is retained. We are finishing 24th by a distance trying to play this way with the core squad from last season. We need to somehow magic up a vastly improved squad with what is increasingly looking like a small budget. For that reason I see this Oztumer as a gamble worth taking. If it works, he scores 10-15 and creates chances, and that alone would give us a chance of staying up. We might sign more mobile players behind him. Even if he just can't cover enough ground, and we become too open, he would be an option for a 20-30 minute cameo off the bench when we need a goal and are chasing the game. We just don't have anything like that kind of option now.