Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Abdoulaye's going t'Souk transfer thread

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 pm

And Blackpool.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:An experienced manager like Sean Dyche, sacked by Watford after one midtable season?
With respect the job at Burnley is totally different to the one here.

I suspect we are right now, the most difficult club to manage in this division. Possibly alongside Blackburn.
You forgot Leeds.

And Blackpool
Well Blackpool you pretty much can't lose as a manager as everyone's anger and attention is directed at Oyston!

As for Leeds, they did at least have an asset they could flog for £11M!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:An experienced manager like Sean Dyche, sacked by Watford after one midtable season?
Dyche had to sell his best striker because the club was losing money.
Sean Dyche said rather than wrote:There’s only so many resources that the club can call upon in terms of backing from the board. That was a reality that came into the club last year, and I felt it was hugely important in our journey. The supporters came out last summer when we sold Charlie Austin but we told them the reasons. We said that we couldn’t keep losing money and that the club needed to be protected. That calmed everybody down.
I don't doubt that the Bolton job ain't easy at the moment, although I think your pudding may be somewhat over-egged, your lily too gilded. However, difficult jobs have been done by young men. Having been around for years isn't always a guarantee of quality, while fresh vision can be a boon - see Karl Robinson vs Louis van Gaal last night. It would seem stupid to cut down our options.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dyche had to sell his best striker because the club was losing money.
Sean Dyche said rather than wrote:There’s only so many resources that the club can call upon in terms of backing from the board. That was a reality that came into the club last year, and I felt it was hugely important in our journey. The supporters came out last summer when we sold Charlie Austin but we told them the reasons. We said that we couldn’t keep losing money and that the club needed to be protected. That calmed everybody down.
I don't doubt that the Bolton job ain't easy at the moment, although I think your pudding may be somewhat over-egged, your lily too gilded. However, difficult jobs have been done by young men. Having been around for years isn't always a guarantee of quality, while fresh vision can be a boon - see Karl Robinson vs Louis van Gaal last night. It would seem stupid to cut down our options.
But the expectations at Burnley are entirely different - they were favourites for relegation last season. Dyche inherited a situation where he could sell a good striker, had Burnley finished 18th he'd not have been under pressure.

Bolton is a different job. And your example is a fine one, Van Gaal is clearly a talented manager, but he's not going to fix Man Utd in a few weeks. The failings run deeper and it will take time. And in many ways it might be a harder job managing Man Utd right now, than say, Everton. It isn't always the obvious things. Organisations have lots of things going on and it seems at Bolton we're barely keeping our heads above water in so many ways.

I entirely take your point about younger managers, but it is once again taking a risk. Nobody knows how a Karl Robinson might do at this level under this pressure. But it is a safer bet that an experienced manager would be able to deal with the competing priorties and pressures and come out the other side. Someone who has worked under different scenarios and with different sorts of players.

Dougie clearly had some talented youngsters at Palace who respected him (club legend I guess) and listened to him. Here that doesn't seem to be the case and he's probably still learning the man management side of things as he goes along. That isn't any good for us. We need someone who will come in and maximise every individual here, irrespective of what they are like. I'd have more faith in an experience (and balanced) older head doing that personally.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm

I think you're overestimating people's expectations, or perhaps underestimating Burnley's. Dyche himself says there how "the supporters came out" [in anger], and it's not like it's that long since they'd been in the top flight.

Experience is very far from a guarantee. Last year, the vastly experienced Gary Johnson took Yeovil down from this division. The vastly experienced Dave Jones got sacked by Wednesday. The relative newbie Uwe Rosler took Wigan from 14th to 5th. And, as I say, the relative newbie Sean Dyche took Burnley up.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think you're overestimating people's expectations, or perhaps underestimating Burnley's. Dyche himself says there how "the supporters came out" [in anger], and it's not like it's that long since they'd been in the top flight.

Experience is very far from a guarantee. Last year, the vastly experienced Gary Johnson took Yeovil down from this division. The vastly experienced Dave Jones got sacked by Wednesday. The relative newbie Uwe Rosler took Wigan from 14th to 5th. And, as I say, the relative newbie Sean Dyche took Burnley up.
Think your right DSB. The one thing freedman has done is re-set expectations. I don't get a sense of expectation for the PL. Its getting to the stage of just putting on the park a team that looks like it knows whats its doing, is competitive and people can have a bit of pride in

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think you're overestimating people's expectations, or perhaps underestimating Burnley's. Dyche himself says there how "the supporters came out" [in anger], and it's not like it's that long since they'd been in the top flight.

I don't think Burnley had the mess of a hugely inflated wage bill with players on it far from living up to their cost.

That sort of legacy issue will last years. We will still be suffering from it now and in future years. Burnley were different in how they were run and managed. They essentially went up and spent very little. And look like they'll do the same again.

Their fans might have been unhappy selling Austin but they weren't directing that at the manager.

Expectations don't just come from fans either. They are from the media, the local journalists, radio etc etc.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

I take it Hall is going the way of Eagles & Mears btw ? Not even on the bench last night. If he turns down a loan this week we'll not see him for the rest of the year other than in KFC before a match.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:16 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I take it Hall is going the way of Eagles & Mears btw ? Not even on the bench last night. If he turns down a loan this week we'll not see him for the rest of the year other than in KFC before a match.
I realise that any manager will have players who do and don't like him, but I can't help thinking that there is likely to be quite a few who dougie has dealt with at our club, who will be feeling at bit of schadenfreude

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Lester instead of hall aye...forgot about him.

We paid for hall as well.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Lester instead of hall aye...forgot about him.

We paid for hall as well.
Strange I thought. Lester looked lost, poor lad. Bit of experience though. Fans weren't too bad, excepting the odd dickhead. Bobo was more entertained by the daft comments than the football I think.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:02 am

In the BN:

Freedman gives up on Ibe & Clayton
Jordon (Ibe) looks like he is going to Derby. It looks like we have missed out on that one once again. The contribution that we would have had to make financially was too difficult for us to meet.
He (Max Clayton) is a good player and we liked him – he’s the kind of player we should be bringing to the club. But the fee that Crewe wanted (put) it out of our reach.
One in, two out - of the treatment room: Trotter's out for up to three weeks, but Moxey & Mavies should be back at Leeds
Liam (Trotter) looks to have hurt his hamstring. He’ll have a scan but to be honest it doesn’t look good when you have to come off after 45 minutes. That’s unfortunately what has been happening at the football club since I’ve been here. I have to make sure the players who are fit understand what they have to do this Saturday and make sure we hold a lead.
Dean (Moxey) should have been fit for Saturday (against Brighton) but got a knock in training. I didn’t want to risk him against Crewe but I’m hoping he will be back alongside Mark Davies against Leeds United.
And Freedman defends Beckford:
It sometimes really baffles me when you get certain sections of the crowd doubting Jermaine’s ability. He’s an out and out goal-scorer. Jermaine has got 90 minutes to score a goal. He has got a manager who believes in him – he has his right moments and his right games and he spreads that infectious attitude around the place that keeps everyone going.
Plus interview with Feeney and Baptiste wants to stay at Blackburn when his season-long loan ends.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:14 am

^^ On one hand he SHOULD be defending his players & good for doing so. But it's a fine line between dong that and attacking the fans. I think he just about did that.

However, Jermaine, it's 'Catch 22' for you lad. Score and look like you give a shit and the fans won't be on your back. Oh, & stop dropping like a sprayed fly when someone comes near you.

There's something sort of depressive about the man's overall manner though. Not surprising I suppose.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:28 am

bobo the clown wrote:
However, Jermaine, it's 'Catch 22' for you lad. Score and look like you give a shit and the fans won't be on your back. Oh, & stop dropping like a sprayed fly when someone comes near you.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that - he could score 30 goals a season, and there'd still be the usual collection of half-wits claiming he's lazy because he doesn't spend the match running around like a headless chicken...

We can compare them to those folk who would tell you that David Reeves was better than Tony Philliskirk. Same thought process...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:37 am

I'm still puzzled by DF's assertion post-Brighton that
there are a couple of players who maybe don’t give us what we need – so we do need two or three attacking players.
I thought he might have meant Beckford, who has been somewhat marginalised in 2014 - he's only started five league games since mid-January - but this suggests otherwise...

Or maybe he's publicly defending (understandably) someone he might rather swap... who knows?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:43 am

Dougie wrote:It sometimes really baffles me when you get certain sections of the crowd doubting Jermaine’s ability. He’s an out and out goal-scorer. Jermaine has got 90 minutes to score a goal.
Dougie rarely gives Beckford "90 minutes to score a goal" these days... or does he mean 90mins per month, perhaps?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:49 am

Two or three attacking players is like 30% of the team - or pretty much all of the attacking force if we have two DM's and four defenders.

How bizarre.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am

Bish: J-Beck hasn't played 90 minutes for us in the league since Charlton, 18 April

Worthy: I think he means in the squad so he can ignore them. Which reminds me, maybe it's Hall he means who doesn't offer what we need

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:23 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'm still puzzled by DF's assertion post-Brighton that
there are a couple of players who maybe don’t give us what we need – so we do need two or three attacking players.
I thought he might have meant Beckford, who has been somewhat marginalised in 2014 - he's only started five league games since mid-January - but this suggests otherwise...

Or maybe he's publicly defending (understandably) someone he might rather swap... who knows?
I found that strange particularly as he has brought in most of our first team squad so presumably he got the signings wrong. Or is he hinting that the players he didn't bring are not what we need but Trotter, Beckford et al are?. :conf:
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:30 am

Puskas wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that - he could score 30 goals a season, and there'd still be the usual collection of half-wits claiming he's lazy because he doesn't spend the match running around like a headless chicken...

We can compare them to those folk who would tell you that David Reeves was better than Tony Philliskirk. Same thought process...
Very few people would have any issue if he scored 20 goals a season. The trouble is he blatantly isn't scoring or looking like scoring nearly enough to justify his total lack of workrate or any other contribution to the team.

He actually misses more clear chances than he scores. His finishing looks good seeing his goals. But he is incredibly wasteful in front of goal.