Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 pm

thebish wrote:I think you should use Lennon'sTwelve - as now we are all behind the manager (except fatshaft) - the crowd is that twelth man! ;-)
Can't imagine Neil welcoming a fatshaft behind him in any way shape or form.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Dougie'sEleven wrote:
thebish wrote:I think you should use Lennon'sTwelve - as now we are all behind the manager (except fatshaft) - the crowd is that twelth man! ;-)
Maybe, maybe. Though I like consistency. And let's face it, we'll be reaching for the pitchforks and bed sheets in a week or two...
Please don't go with "Twelve" . . . living in Seattle I'm so damned tired of the "12th Man" thing.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Jugs wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We all dream of a DevelopmentteamfullofAndraniks... :D Interesting how hard it is to fit all those Next Big Things into yer imperfect 11s...
Thought I'd responded to this, but can't find my response, so mustn't have hit submit.

There's the nub of it. If Vela is 6th/7th/8th pick, then sitting on a bench with two other midfielders that the manager would put on in front of him isn't much use, unless we're thinking of 3 MF changes. It probably puts him out of contention for the Monday night Dev Squad/Ressie games when the first team are playing on a Tuesday. So if that was the case (he might be Lennon's 5th choice MF for all I know), would it be better to keep him warming the bench of to try and break into a League 1 team's midfield?

He's a couple of years older than Nolan was, when Nolan scored 8 in his first Prem season. And three years older than when Nolan made his first team debut. Hall is a couple of years older.

At what point do you say, "Look son, this might not quite happen" - 21 isn't "first flush of youth".
Just depends what Lennon makes of him. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of MF's in front of him by sending out Pratley on loan because he offers absolutely nothing to us, and I'd maybe send Garvan back to Palace because he's been pretty woeful and useless so far.

I was a bit perplexed when Coyle swiftly moved Danny Ward on (for a decent fee albeit, but he was one of our most promising youngsters). As Simon Charlton put it a few weeks ago, there has to come a time when you give these players a chance. Otherwise we can continue flooding our team with 'experienced' players who are actually not that good, cost a heck of a lot in wages, and are turning us into an uninspired team that even the fans can't be bothered watching.

Say what we want, but fans love it when youth is given a chance. For whatever reason, it excites them.
Would be happy to see some youngsters coming through, but it's not a major requirement for me. Flooding out team with any players irregardless of age, who are actually not that good won't make them any more watchable. Don't disagree with moving Pratley on, sending Garvan back and for me, Trotter too.

I don't care what age our team is, as long as it's winning, but hopefully not full of 40 year olds. I don't get more excited with one of our yoof coming through as any other signing being given a shot. They get judged by the same criteria - they're in our First Team. They should only be given a chance if they merit it, and are better than the actually not that good players they're replacing (or will become better with a little nudge in the right direction).
we'd have to wait until january at the earliest to move trotter and/or pratley on, surely... until then - let's see what Lennon makes of what we have...

more importantly - what do we call Neil Lennon for short?? Lenny is too close the the previous regime, "Neil" sounds a bit, well, underwhelming...

we need a proper nickname!!! what was he known as at Celtic (by his friends)?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah, Jesus, this exitement doesn't bind us to not turn on the f*cker as soon as he starts doing weird shit does it :D?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:05 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Dougie'sEleven wrote:
Maybe, maybe. Though I like consistency. And let's face it, we'll be reaching for the pitchforks and bed sheets in a week or two...
Please don't go with "Twelve" . . . living in Seattle I'm so damned tired of the "12th Man" thing.
so are we - hence the wink - I was being sarcastic! (you must have something similar in America? ;-))

oops - there I go again! :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Jugs wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We all dream of a DevelopmentteamfullofAndraniks... :D Interesting how hard it is to fit all those Next Big Things into yer imperfect 11s...
Thought I'd responded to this, but can't find my response, so mustn't have hit submit.

There's the nub of it. If Vela is 6th/7th/8th pick, then sitting on a bench with two other midfielders that the manager would put on in front of him isn't much use, unless we're thinking of 3 MF changes. It probably puts him out of contention for the Monday night Dev Squad/Ressie games when the first team are playing on a Tuesday. So if that was the case (he might be Lennon's 5th choice MF for all I know), would it be better to keep him warming the bench of to try and break into a League 1 team's midfield?

He's a couple of years older than Nolan was, when Nolan scored 8 in his first Prem season. And three years older than when Nolan made his first team debut. Hall is a couple of years older.

At what point do you say, "Look son, this might not quite happen" - 21 isn't "first flush of youth".
Just depends what Lennon makes of him. Personally, I'd reduce the amount of MF's in front of him by sending out Pratley on loan because he offers absolutely nothing to us, and I'd maybe send Garvan back to Palace because he's been pretty woeful and useless so far.

I was a bit perplexed when Coyle swiftly moved Danny Ward on (for a decent fee albeit, but he was one of our most promising youngsters). As Simon Charlton put it a few weeks ago, there has to come a time when you give these players a chance. Otherwise we can continue flooding our team with 'experienced' players who are actually not that good, cost a heck of a lot in wages, and are turning us into an uninspired team that even the fans can't be bothered watching.

Say what we want, but fans love it when youth is given a chance. For whatever reason, it excites them.
Would be happy to see some youngsters coming through, but it's not a major requirement for me. Flooding out team with any players irregardless of age, who are actually not that good won't make them any more watchable. Don't disagree with moving Pratley on, sending Garvan back and for me, Trotter too.

I don't care what age our team is, as long as it's winning, but hopefully not full of 40 year olds. I don't get more excited with one of our yoof coming through as any other signing being given a shot. They get judged by the same criteria - they're in our First Team. They should only be given a chance if they merit it, and are better than the actually not that good players they're replacing (or will become better with a little nudge in the right direction).
we'd have to wait until january at the earliest to move trotter and/or pratley on, surely... until then - let's see what Lennon makes of what we have...

more importantly - what do we call Neil Lennon for short?? Lenny is too close the the previous regime, "Neil" sounds a bit, well, underwhelming...

we need a proper nickname!!! what was he known as at Celtic (by his friends)?
Popcorn teeth I think. Not sure that was by his friends though. Neilo would show the requisite level of imagination for us I think. I bet there's only one of him too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Neilo it is then! it's batter than Navies! ;-)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Nellon?

The honeymoon will soon be over if the Celtic fans are right and he makes changes to the team/formation every game!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:50 pm

I think Celtic fans called him Lenny.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Anyway, I like this appointment. Of the available candidates I think his resume was the most impressive and his results in the Champions League show he can put together teams that punch above their weight. That said, he's used to being a big fish in a very, very small pond. Winning titles after your only rival has been relegated to the 4th division is not a tremendous achievement. It remains to be seen what he can do when he can't just buy better players than his league rivals. Doing it once against Barcelona is impressive, but doing it week after week is something everyone following Big Sam has failed to accomplish.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:09 pm

I wonder if NL has an thoughts on one of Dougie's ex-minions being our chief scout? Is he likely to be moved on also?

David Sclanders
Pfffft.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 pm

TKIZ! wrote:I wonder if NL has an thoughts on one of Dougie's ex-minions being our chief scout? Is he likely to be moved on also?

David Sclanders
We have a Chief Scout? Does he live in East Dulwich?
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:29 pm

aye, he is part time for us, millwall and palace

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:I wonder if NL has an thoughts on one of Dougie's ex-minions being our chief scout? Is he likely to be moved on also?

David Sclanders
We have a Chief Scout? Does he live in East Dulwich?
I think so :lol:
Pfffft.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:51 am

Worthy4England wrote: Would be happy to see some youngsters coming through, but it's not a major requirement for me. Flooding out team with any players irregardless of age, who are actually not that good won't make them any more watchable. Don't disagree with moving Pratley on, sending Garvan back and for me, Trotter too.

I agree.

bean
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by bean » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:27 am

thebish wrote: Dean’s job involves providing a wide range of massage routines to ensure that everyone at the club remains in peak physical condition. The massages are not just for players who have picked up a niggle. On the eve of any away matches for example, Dean will travel with the squad and offer massages to players that helps them sleep, which is all part of the team’s preparation. He also has to make sure all the stock of medical equipment we may need is readily available, help set up the treatment room and perform any last minute massages that are needed.
So this guys job is just to massage anyone and anything in sight. Outstanding.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 am

bean wrote:
thebish wrote: Dean’s job involves providing a wide range of massage routines to ensure that everyone at the club remains in peak physical condition. The massages are not just for players who have picked up a niggle. On the eve of any away matches for example, Dean will travel with the squad and offer massages to players that helps them sleep, which is all part of the team’s preparation. He also has to make sure all the stock of medical equipment we may need is readily available, help set up the treatment room and perform any last minute massages that are needed.
So this guys job is just to massage anyone and anything in sight. Outstanding.
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be a "Happy Ending" to this blokes job.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:56 am

Jugs wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: Would be happy to see some youngsters coming through, but it's not a major requirement for me. Flooding out team with any players irregardless of age, who are actually not that good won't make them any more watchable. Don't disagree with moving Pratley on, sending Garvan back and for me, Trotter too.

I agree.
So do I. Yay, party time.

(... & Worthy, I just wish we could send Trotter back but he has a 3 year contract i fear).
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Jugs wrote:

I agree.
So do I. Yay, party time.

(... & Worthy, I just wish we could send Trotter back but he has a 3 year contract i fear).
Didn't NL say he tried to sign rotter or enquired about him when he was at Celtic? If that is the case then he must rate him as a player. I doubt he will be going anywhere soon.

In fact, Trotter might be one of the players who flourishes under a new manager. We were told he was a goal threat when he signed so his game may change playing in a more positive team. We may have to change out opinion about some players if things go well in a similar way to Ream (who is still not great but better than under Coyle when he looked abject).
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:32 am

Working on the "clean sheet" basis I'd agree. But you have watched the useless lump I guess ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".