Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:38 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:28 am
brommers95 wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:50 pm
Took me long enough to write 😄

Whilst it’d be great to get a decent fee for Santos, it did really hit home while writing this that if we do lose him this summer, it’ll be almost impossible to replace his unique skillset of pace, height, strength and passing ability.
Fantastic work as ever, Brommers.

On the FGR lad, I remember you wrote about him last summer when he would have been available on a free. Does the fact that we didn't go in for him then perhaps indicate that Evatt/Markham are not interested?
Thanks TG.

It was announced in June last year that Godwin-Malife had signed a new two dear deal with FGR. So maybe that had been in the works for a while and he was never likely to leave on a free 🤷🏼‍♂️

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:59 am

Noticed a couple of interesting names in the L1 awards - Paddy Lane for Fleetwood as young player of the season (winger so not necessarily where we need to strengthen) and Cooper of Plymouth was the goalkeeper in the team of the season (not the Portsmouth chap on load from city). Either realistic signings? Cole Stockton will get a move as well surely…again not somewhere we need a player.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:18 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:59 am
Noticed a couple of interesting names in the L1 awards - Paddy Lane for Fleetwood as young player of the season (winger so not necessarily where we need to strengthen) and Cooper of Plymouth was the goalkeeper in the team of the season (not the Portsmouth chap on load from city). Either realistic signings? Cole Stockton will get a move as well surely…again not somewhere we need a player.
If Dapo leaves then we'd need another winger/forward, so Paddy Lane could be a good shout. Looks to have another year to run on his contract, but if Fleetwood get relegated, which looks reasonably likely, then I'm sure he'd be open to moving.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:34 am

Isn't Paddy Lane the dude who gave it the large one to the away end for their second and third goals? If so, I sort of like that... if we ban signing people who have previously enjoyed scoring against us, we get no John McGinlay...

(Also: "Paddy Lane is in my ears and in my eyes...")

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:34 am
Isn't Paddy Lane the dude who gave it the large one to the away end for their second and third goals? If so, I sort of like that... if we ban signing people who have previously enjoyed scoring against us, we get no John McGinlay...

For years I worked on the theory that we'd always eventually sign players who've scored a hat-trick against us (Taylor, McGinlay, Davies etc.) This train of thought lead me to believe that we'd one day land Messrs Fowler and Rooney too :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:01 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:18 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:59 am
If Dapo leaves then we'd need another winger/forward, so Paddy Lane could be a good shout. Looks to have another year to run on his contract, but if Fleetwood get relegated, which looks reasonably likely, then I'm sure he'd be open to moving.
According to the stats sites he’s played almost entirely as a conventional central midfield player. But they can be wrong sometimes.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:02 pm

Stop it! :spank: I still get the Kaiser Chiefs in my head everytime I hear Dapo mentioned because of you Sir! :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:06 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:02 pm
Stop it! :spank: I still get the Kaiser Chiefs in my head everytime I hear Dapo mentioned because of you Sir! :shock:
:mrgreen:
Still think it's a better song, although at least his is actually good and scans.

I now also, when thinking of Dapo, get the Hokey-Cokey as an earworm.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:17 pm

My Mrs thought he was called Dapple Appleyan. Not sure if that's anything.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am

For years I worked on the theory that we'd always eventually sign players who've scored a hat-trick against us (Taylor, McGinlay, Davies etc.) This train of thought lead me to believe that we'd one day land Messrs Fowler and Rooney too :?
They're no Tom Eaves. That was a hat trick in a friendly ffs!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:18 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:59 am

Might be available on a free this summer...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:18 pm

When I first saw Bodvarsson, I thought 'Oh feck me, it's the second coming of Tom Eaves'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:48 pm

Eaves: dropped.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pm

In terms of the players contracted beyond summer, which ones to do people think Evatt will definitely want to keep and which are in danger of being asked to ask to move on? We know there's speculation around Dapo and Santos, but that's in terms of other clubs wanting to buy. Which of the lads do you guys think might not fit our ambitions for next season?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm

I don't think Darcy or Thomason will be in the first team squad next year.

Otherwise I'd say Izzy and Kachunga are the two most likely. With Baka and Lee also possibles. Perhaps MJ at a push. And maybe Dixon (though I suspect he'll stick with him as second choice).

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:02 pm
I don't think Darcy or Thomason will be in the first team squad next year.

Otherwise I'd say Izzy and Kachunga are the two most likely. With Baka and Lee also possibles. Perhaps MJ at a push. And maybe Dixon (though I suspect he'll stick with him as second choice).
Aye, Darcy and Thomason clearly aren't in Evatt's plans. I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't both sent on loans or told to find new permanent clubs this summer.

I'm already on record stating that I think both Izzy and Kachunga are expendable. Although Izzy is definitely fine as a back-up, I'd like us to have better/younger options in the squad, and I don't think he'd struggle to find a new club as long as he can demonstrate his fitness. Kachunga I don't even really like as a back-up, and he's probably on decent wages, so I'd certainly be looking to get rid in the summer.

Baka, MJ and Lee I think would all be safe unless other clubs offered us cash for the first two mentioned, but that seems unlikely.

I don't think Evatt would have an issue keeping Dixon on as back-up keeper, but would the player be happy with that? He'd probably get a starting gig at League Two level, so maybe he will push for a move. Not a big deal either way.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:51 pm

Here's a selection of second-tier centre-backs, neither ancient nor greenhorn, who might be available in summer. It's v difficult to judge in that division who's on how much money, who might drop a division, who might get kept on. But here's some names.

NABY SARR (Huddersfield)
6ft 6in but a ball player, left-sided Sarr is out of contract this summer. He has been nosed out of the Terriers team this season by Tom Lees and Matty Pearson. Has played 98 tier-two and 54 tier-three games since joining Charlton in 2015, shifting to Huddersfield in summer 2020, whence Carlos Corberan said ““He has good physical attributes that fit the demands of Championship football, and at the same time, he feels comfortable on the ball.”
A Charlton podcaster said “a fantastic passer of the ball and has great vision... his ability to drive the ball forward and start attacks is one of his stand out strengths... he will have supporters on the edge of their seats. He has a fantastic ability to carry the ball forward, he can take on his man and is a great finisher as well. He can leave you with your heart in your mouth when he takes on opposition players in his own half but I think people underestimated his ability as 9 times out of 10 he would pull it off.” Lee Bowyer said he was one of the best finishers at Charlton. Even scored a free-kick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PX_LLRyTnE
Indeed, he's scored two in his last three, and it's not beyond belief that he could earn another contract. But with Huddersfield eyeing promotion, he may choose to move on – he's 29 in August so it's no time to be kicking his heels. Whether he'd drop a division (and whether we could afford him) are two other questions.

PETER KIOSO (Luton)
Out of contract in summer, turns 23 in August. Was loaned to MK Dons for the season and played 18 games out of 21 but was recalled in January as Luton had injuries. Has made 12 Champo appearances since – sometimes at right centre-back, sometimes in the middle of the three, sometimes RWB - with the local newspaper praising him in player ratings from various games: "aggressive and athletic... powerhouse performance, particularly aerially... got forward well... got stuck in... increasingly at ease in his Championship surroundings."
Luton boss Nathan Jones seems a harder man to please: "Defensively yes, he can step up and be a good defender for us. He has to improve as he’s got competition from very good people, athletic ones that can defend and want to defend and then do the other side as well. So he has to grow, he has to develop, he has to improve certain attributes, but he wants to do that as he’s a real good pro and we like him in terms of that.”
We know him, he knows us, he would add flexibility and physicality. But again, will he drop down?

CHARLIE GOODE (Brentford)
Pops ups in this list as he was on loan at Sheffield United to get some game time, but only managed two before suspension and knee-knack. Brentford signed the 6ft5in Goode, who started as a forward before drifting back through midfield to right-back and then (after a growth spurt) centre-back, from Northampton in summer 2020 on a four-year contract; since then he's played just 16 league games.
He says "“I’m aggressive, I like to be involved but also try and bring the ball out from the back.” Former boss Keith Curle called him a "great decision-maker" with a "wand of a right foot" - an unusual case on a non-left-footed wand there - and also noted that he has a useful long throw <twirls wax moustache>.
Would be something of a surprise if he came to us - he'll probably want a Champo loan, and as he turns 27 in August there may be no resale potential.

BAMBO DIABY (Preston)
Signed short-term contract with PNE in January when his two-year doping ban ended. He's 24 and 6ft 2, Senegal-born but Spain-raised. Preston fan site made him MOTM in his first two games, praising his "great covering ability," "huge frame" and "ability to pass through the lines" – Santos, anyone?.
Ryan Lowe said “He can play in a few different positions around the back and probably right wing-back, so we’ve offered him a short-term deal until the end of the season to go and showcase what he’s got to potentially earn a longer contract." Lowe hasn't changed much yet at Deepdale, so it depends whether he saw this fella as a short-term option. Also depends how much money they have with Trevor Hemmings.

JOE RAFFERTY (Preston)
Mentioned this 6ft scouser before - the former Rochdale Player of the Year is predominantly a right-back but has also played centre-back (he's over 6ft), left-back and def-mid. Out of contract. 28.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:28 pm

Interesting stuff, DSB.

Kioso I think most Bolton fans would love to see back here. I’d certainly be in favour of taking him over Fossey if both were available. My guess is that McDons might be his most likely destination, especially if they get promotion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:56 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:28 pm
Kioso I think most Bolton fans would love to see back here. I’d certainly be in favour of taking him over Fossey if both were available. My guess is that McDons might be his most likely destination, especially if they get promotion.
It's a fair shout. I didn't realise until today that he was brought up in MK (born in Dublin).

Kioso > Fossey is a bold shout. I guess he covers more options, if indeed he has grown into a decent centre-back too. I'd happily have both.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:09 pm

I'd be pissed off if we lost Baka, MJ or Lee in the summer.