Wanderers v Man U

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers v Man U

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

Can't really believe this conversation is still going on.

Its quite clear that it was a red card. The way Evans dived in could have been a leg breaker had Holden been on his feet and not hurdled it.

It was a red. Its not the worst challenge ever, and a red and 3 game ban is appropriate IMO. As for "not judging the tackle by the injury" I think thats right. But without knowing the rules word for word I'd be surprised if there isn't something in there about tackles that "potentially could cause injury" so I think taking the injury out completely would be wrong too. If a player has a massive gash in their knee and the other player has jumped in studs showing and not got the ball, I'm not really sure what conclusion anyone could come to other than red card.

Its not a deliberately violent tackle, but it doesn't have to be for a red card.

My problem with Bish's argument is, if you're not showing red for diving in studs showing like that you're going to let an awful lot else go. And in the modern game that is not the way of things.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Can't really believe this conversation is still going on.
the conversation is still carrying on - because people - like you and me and pru, for instance, keep it going on.

that's why. :conf:
BWFC_Insane wrote:My problem with Bish's argument is, if you're not showing red for diving in studs showing like that you're going to let an awful lot else go. And in the modern game that is not the way of things.
which is precisely what happens - these kinds of tackle are "let go" week in, week out - often the perpetrators are our own players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 am

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Can't really believe this conversation is still going on.
the conversation is still carrying on - because people - like you and me and pru, for instance, keep it going on.

that's why. :conf:
BWFC_Insane wrote:My problem with Bish's argument is, if you're not showing red for diving in studs showing like that you're going to let an awful lot else go. And in the modern game that is not the way of things.
which is precisely what happens - these kinds of tackle are "let go" week in, week out - often the perpetrators are our own players.
Bish they're let go when the players get the ball. But when they don't then they are punished. I can't see much of an argument for it not being a sending off offence. I really can't. He's gone in over the top and his studs have come down. Its not a legal challenge and it is dangerous (clearly that is indisputable) and it can cause serious injury. Of course we'll see those tackles where people aren't red carded but that doesn't make it right. Ultimately if Paul Robinson did that to Rooney or Nani, I'd find it very hard to argue against a red card for him.

I don't think Evans went in to "hurt" Holden but again that doesn't mean it wasn't a challenge worthy of a red card.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Rooney praises the Whites shocker:

" I think Bolton have been brilliant this season. " A lot has been said over the last few years about them being a long-ball team, but I think they mix it up well and like to pass the ball around. " They're a physical side who work hard as a unit and they've got themselves into a great position in the league" (today's Bolton News).
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?