Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:54 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:48 pm
remember how panicked we were the season before when Madine was injured in the run-in?
I remember being outside Vale Park when the line-up was posted online with his name in it!
You, me and about 4,000 others letting out a growing roar at 2pm as we all checked our Twitter and spread the news... :D

We'd have gone up that day but for Kyle Dempsey...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:05 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:00 pm
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:48 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm
I'm sure Parky would've preferred Madine over the four we loaned in that window (Charsley, Walker, Flanagan, Clough).
Well, quite. I saw the whole 55 minutes of Charsley's Bolton career, from the crumbling terrace at Griffin Park. Clearly Phil saw enough that day too.
I'm under the impression that we got paid to play him in that game. Something akin to having a player on loan to raise his value for the parent club.

We had Jem Karacan on the bench that day with Will Buckley also available for that role. There's no reason to think that Charsley would've been impressive enough to warrant an immediate starting berth ahead of either of those, and the rest of the season showed that.
Interesting theory.... he'd only signed the previous day and Parky was not a compulsive risk-taker, as anyone who saw our meek surrender at Burton would know... :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:14 pm

Charsley has quietly built himself a good career down in League Two. Fair play to him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:14 pm

Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:52 pm
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:12 pm
I’d say Dion is in the category where his value to us is greater than his value to others. Probably exact opposite of Madine who although he had great value to us at the time - 6M was of greater value to a club in financial strife.

As noted were he 23 then I suspect the ‘value to others’ would be large enough that his value here would be seriously tested.
All true, although poor old Parky hugely struggled with Madine ineffectively (or, rather, profoundly unsuitably) 'replaced' by the returning Zach Clough and underachieving Tyler Walker. Once The Machine had gone we didn't score more than one in a game until mid-April (rest of season scoring: 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 3).

I can't remember now when it became very obvious we were financially knackered but I assume Ken knew. And £6m for Madine was an astonishing bit of transfer business – from what I can see, easily the biggest fee paid by a non-PL club that window. The same day, Chelsea only spent £18m to buy Olivier Giroud from Arsenal, where he'd scored 105 goals in 253 games.
Sure we did get Ameobi back though. But financially the 6M would have offset the loss on relegation at the time and it wasn’t of course guaranteed we’d stay up anyway. And we did in the end stay up.

So forgetting the awfulness after that it ‘worked out’. At the time obviously selling Madine in the form he was in with the lack of a replacement was horrific. It made everyone angry. I guess had we known the financial hole we sat in then we’d have felt very differently.
The Clough deal just seemed like appeasement for the fans. Perhaps the Walker deal was Forrest's way of ensuring we had a target man up top. As pleased as we were at getting Clough back, the Madine hole was notable.

Great sale financially, but not really anything to help the club progress. We'd been in a good run of form prior to Madine's release, reaching around 19th in the league. Odds are we were going to stay up and we'd finish just above the drop. Selling Madine pretty much handicapped us for the season and was pretty much the death knell of anything progress related under Anderson.

I'm sure Parky would've preferred Madine over the four we loaned in that window (Charsley, Walker, Flanagan, Clough).
Unless I have something wrong, we were 22nd the day we sold Madine (although with a game in hand)...20th with a game in hand 4 days later on the back of beating Brizzle. We didn't reach 19th until 10th Feb on the back of a 1-1 draw v Fulham - which I think we maintained all through Feb and into the 17th March - we were 6 points clear of relegation at that point. Then we spent April getting dicked...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:14 pm
Charsley has quietly built himself a good career down in League Two. Fair play to him.
Nowt against the lad, and I'm not sured he deserved the early hoiking he got (for Will Buckley!) in his only Wanderers game.

I certainly don't recall wondering how he could possibly ever break into this Team Of All Talents.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I’d say Dion is in the category where his value to us is greater than his value to others. Probably exact opposite of Madine who although he had great value to us at the time - 6M was of greater value to a club in financial strife.

As noted were he 23 then I suspect the ‘value to others’ would be large enough that his value here would be seriously tested.
All true, although poor old Parky hugely struggled with Madine ineffectively (or, rather, profoundly unsuitably) 'replaced' by the returning Zach Clough and underachieving Tyler Walker. Once The Machine had gone we didn't score more than one in a game until mid-April (rest of season scoring: 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 0 3).

I can't remember now when it became very obvious we were financially knackered but I assume Ken knew. And £6m for Madine was an astonishing bit of transfer business – from what I can see, easily the biggest fee paid by a non-PL club that window. The same day, Chelsea only spent £18m to buy Olivier Giroud from Arsenal, where he'd scored 105 goals in 253 games.
Sure we did get Ameobi back though. But financially the 6M would have offset the loss on relegation at the time and it wasn’t of course guaranteed we’d stay up anyway. And we did in the end stay up.

So forgetting the awfulness after that it ‘worked out’. At the time obviously selling Madine in the form he was in with the lack of a replacement was horrific. It made everyone angry. I guess had we known the financial hole we sat in then we’d have felt very differently.
The Clough deal just seemed like appeasement for the fans. Perhaps the Walker deal was Forrest's way of ensuring we had a target man up top. As pleased as we were at getting Clough back, the Madine hole was notable.

Great sale financially, but not really anything to help the club progress. We'd been in a good run of form prior to Madine's release, reaching around 19th in the league. Odds are we were going to stay up and we'd finish just above the drop. Selling Madine pretty much handicapped us for the season and was pretty much the death knell of anything progress related under Anderson.

Unless I have something wrong, we were 22nd the day we sold Madine (although with a game in hand)...20th with a game in hand 4 days later on the back of beating Brizzle. We didn't reach 19th until 10th Feb on the back of a 1-1 draw v Fulham - which I think we maintained all through Feb and into the 17th March - we were 6 points clear of relegation at that point. Then we spent April getting dicked...
Yeah but we were dead and buried after ten games and it was Madines goals that got us on the run that got us off rock bottom and with a chance.

Ultimately selling him made staying up harder but obviously financially we had no choice.

I just hope there aren’t any similar black holes in the finances now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm

Local East Anglian press has us as one of several clubs having bid for Idris El Mizouni, with the bids being rejected.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:01 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm
Local East Anglian press has us as one of several clubs having bid for Idris El Mizouni, with the bids being rejected.
Per Whatsapp, that's come directly from Ipswich Town sources. So either it's true, or they're using our name to up some bids.

It's not been pulled out a backside, though.

Plays a very similar role on the pitch to Baccus, but is perhaps more progressive. Like I say, I've no clue if we really have bid past the press stuff; but on paper he makes sense given what we know we've chased in the last window.

I'm told (no clue myself) he's also played wingback in the past, but at the minute he's solidly a central midfield player.

Story can be found here: https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/24030431.i ... -rejected/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:06 pm

Nelson Khumbeni has been recalled from his loan at Fylde.

Anyone here know what's gone on there? He was due to stay until the end of the month.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:28 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mar wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah but we were dead and buried after ten games and it was Madines goals that got us on the run that got us off rock bottom and with a chance.

Ultimately selling him made staying up harder but obviously financially we had no choice.

I just hope there aren’t any similar black holes in the finances now.
You suggest selling him made it harder, but we got (marginally) more points per game without him, albeit not by much. Realistically we didn't notice he'd gone, other than the cheque received. Also the defence tightened a bit. He also did bugger all, the two years preceding. You wanna see his stats v Vic... 😀

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:06 pm

Anyone here know what's gone on there? He was due to stay until the end of the month.
Recalled suggests we instigated it? Someone bid a cheeky mill?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm
I read that as "Someone did a cheeky milf?" and was wondering what on earth I'd missed in terms of gossip. I clearly need a nap.

Suggestion from Fylde fans is that he was playing, doing well and all seemed rosy. So I dunno what the cause of the recall is, but yes we'll have triggered it.

He's not eligible for Luton, but will be for Accy. The fact we may have had a bid turned down for a midfielder before the recall may indicate we've had an injury come up? Otherwise not a clue.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:06 pm

Sounds like we either want to play him in one of the cup games, or more likely there’s a League Two club interested in taking him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:57 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:54 pm
more likely there’s a League Two club interested in taking him.
That's the most hopeful version, yes. If we can get him into League Two it'll do him the world of good. Reviews at Fylde seem to have been positive.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm

Would be good for Khumbeni to get a few minutes. Presumably Carty added to the numbers whilst he was here but he's gone on loan so if we are short on numbers it'll be even more telling in the cup games.

Being able to play him whilst we've got the FLT match may be our best bet. He seemed to be getting plenty of starts at Fylde, 8 in a row and then 0 for the last four games, so somethings gone on.

Presumably giving him a league two loan would be decent but I'd imagine largely unexpected.

I suspect he may end up on the bench in upcoming games.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm

Dec has gone back to Salford, never to return. It's a loan, but then his deal is up.

Had some great moments for us, but glad he's moved on.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 pm
Dec has gone back to Salford, never to return. It's a loan, but then his deal is up.

Had some great moments for us, but glad he's moved on.
It's strange, it feels like he's gone the way of Sarcevic and Delaney. Frustrated players with seeming a chip on their shoulder, some better at holding their mouth than others.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:18 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:51 pm
It's strange, it feels like he's gone the way of Sarcevic and Delaney. Frustrated players with seeming a chip on their shoulder, some better at holding their mouth than others.
Given his track record Evatt probably did well to keep him onside for as long as he did.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:18 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:51 pm
Given his track record Evatt probably did well to keep him onside for as long as he did.

You no doubt know more than I, but it's a telltale sign that he's never seemed to settle at any club he's signed for.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 pm

Reports from East Anglia that Ipswich Town have refused "low six-figure" offers for Idris El Mizouni and that we're one of the clubs understood to have an interest (though no indication as to whether our interest has materialised into a formal approach).

I'd have assumed we heve enough midfielders.