Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 am

I do get Ameobi is a massive loss, but we should be able to coax a goal out of a team against that hull side. They had one fit centre half and an academy lad making his debut, plus they are utter dogshit bottom of the league fodder managed by a cretin!

Faults on the training ground, if Parky, Parkin et al can’t coach goals they should have brought somebody in who can this summer. There is goals in that side (more so than last season) without Ameobi. He just can’t find them.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:45 am
I do get Ameobi is a massive loss, but we should be able to coax a goal out of a team against that hull side. They had one fit centre half and an academy lad making his debut, plus they are utter dogshit bottom of the league fodder managed by a cretin!

Faults on the training ground, if Parky, Parkin et al can’t coach goals they should have brought somebody in who can this summer. There is goals in that side (more so than last season) without Ameobi. He just can’t find them.
I don't disagree with that at all, and clearly the team is going through an identity crisis which Parkinson is largely responsible for. However, I don't think we've reached the stage where the situation is irreparable and demands a change of manager. Let's hope we can stabilise a bit before Christmas and then address some of our issues in Jan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 am

officer_dibble wrote:

Are there goals? Last season Madine’s goals were the difference. Second half we struggled without them but had ALF off the bench or Ameobi to chip in.

Where are the championship goals here? You’d hope the three strikers would chip in but can you see any getting to 10? Maybe Magennis. But midfield still looks unable to score nearly enough.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:03 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Are there goals? Last season Madine’s goals were the difference. Second half we struggled without them but had ALF off the bench or Ameobi to chip in.

Where are the championship goals here? You’d hope the three strikers would chip in but can you see any getting to 10? Maybe Magennis. But midfield still looks unable to score nearly enough.
Mate, I said it at the time. People underestimated how tough it is to score in the Championship (I had some guy on twitter telling me Otz was gonna get 10+. while Magennis would be a superstar). We've replaced Madine and ALF - two players who know how to score in this league - with League One and League Two strikers. It's a gamble that, at the moment at least, isn't working.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:06 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 pm
No. Deserves the full season for what he's done. It's been bad before and he's turned it around before. Parky's time here has seen the only good memories of bwfc in years, some bad times too but it can't be pitch invasions every week.
I agree Parky deserves some loyalty. He's done a remarkable job.

If we haven't scored or picked up a win by Xmas though, would you still want him to have the full season?

Sacking managers is an expensive business and timing is crucial. Get it right (Neal, Lee, Freedman) you're laughing. Hang on too long (Coyle) & you live to regret it
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

They are his signings. Hence why we see 5 changes a game I guess.

I know he has a crap budget but it’s no worse than qpr, Hull for example. Two teams that we lost to nil at home against.

I’ll say it again, if we can’t score against that hull side we won’t score.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am
I know he has a crap budget but it’s no worse than qpr, Hull for example. Two teams that we lost to nil at home against.
We didn't lose to nil against QPR. We lost 2-1, with Magennis halving the deficit.

Trouble is, after scoring in his first two games, that's his only goal in 14 appearances since - most of them starts. In fact, since those first two games, Maggie has played 1083 minutes for one goal, no assists and a fluffed penalty.

Now don't get me wrong; I like Magennis. But it's hard to name another player, or another time, when such an allergy to goalscoring would be forgiven, by manager or fans.

Obviously at such times the release of ALF will seem folly; with bitter irony, the 3-5-2 we played yesterday would have suited him. We were probably playing that partly because Doidge isn't (perhaps yet, perhaps ever) up to scratch as the 1 in a second-tier 4231. But then again, ALF didn't score in 20 appearances between that opening loss to Leeds and his firecracker against Fulham. Truth is, we just don't score much...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Oh will you put this Madine worship shite to bed. If you look back, actually look back, you'll notice that when he fxcked of to some Welsh club somewhere (where he's never been heard of since), we were in the bottom three. Relegation material, after two thirds of a season. We got shut, we stayed up... He's not the messiah. He never was. He never ever will be.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm

And to answer DSB's question: YES. YES, YES YES YES. He's a decent bloke, man of the people sort, not like panic fanny Freedman or Complete Nutter but Local Hero Coyle.
But, like Freedman and Coyle (and Lennon the cxnt) he's a shxt manager who grasps at straws - straws he's been sent by some secret internet football manager's forum.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm
And to answer DSB's question: YES. YES, YES YES YES.
Fair enough. But you only get one vote :D

Did you vote, LLS? Or were you already a yes? Only, curiously, since I reposted this last night the vote has gone from 40% yes to 35%. As the raw numbers haven't gone up (25v37 to 22v40), it seems like three forummers have changed their mind in Parky's favour. (I'm not asking anyone to drop their ballot-box anonymity, unless they want to.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:42 pm
We didn't lose to nil against QPR. We lost 2-1, with Magennis halving the deficit.

Trouble is, after scoring in his first two games, that's his only goal in 14 appearances since - most of them starts. In fact, since those first two games, Maggie has played 1083 minutes for one goal, no assists and a fluffed penalty.

Now don't get me wrong; I like Magennis. But it's hard to name another player, or another time, when such an allergy to goalscoring would be forgiven, by manager or fans.
Apologies to our Ulsterman - he was also credited a fortnight after the fact with the winner against Birmingham, but not all media outlets have updated from Buckley (the two players jointly bundled home a cross from Ameobi, to whom the stadium announcer gave the goal).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:42 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am

Obviously at such times the release of ALF will seem folly; with bitter irony, the 3-5-2 we played yesterday would have suited him. We were probably playing that partly because Doidge isn't (perhaps yet, perhaps ever) up to scratch as the 1 in a second-tier 4231. But then again, ALF didn't score in 20 appearances between that opening loss to Leeds and his firecracker against Fulham. Truth is, we just don't score much...
Duuuh I had forgotten that Magennis goal!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:12 pm

I watched that on a stream and belly laughed when they announced it as Ameobi, joint with Alnwick as the one player in the pitch who definitely didn't score that goal
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:57 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:44 pm
And to answer DSB's question: YES. YES, YES YES YES.
Fair enough. But you only get one vote :D

Did you vote, LLS? Or were you already a yes? Only, curiously, since I reposted this last night the vote has gone from 40% yes to 35%. As the raw numbers haven't gone up (25v37 to 22v40), it seems like three forummers have changed their mind in Parky's favour. (I'm not asking anyone to drop their ballot-box anonymity, unless they want to.)

As mentioned elsewhere, Kenneth has made it clear today that he's backing PP, so he is probably one of the three.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

I am not a PP 'outer' but I think that day is getting closer. Once the majority of crowd turn on him that will be it.

My problem with Phil is he has no idea what is our best team or formation. It's as though he draws them out of the hat each week. He swaps his players and formation trying to stumble on a winning system and it really isn't good enough.

Bolton fans can take defeat as long as we have a go and give 100%. It seemed a bit better yesterday but the negative play and lack of creativity is a real worry. As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm
As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
We surely can't be, or afford to be a one man team. As soon as Sammi appears he'll be marked c loser than xxxxx without an ankle tag. If Parky uses this and plays around it we might ease him back in quietly and effectively. If he comes back with us having expectations of his being a one man wonder boy it just won't happen. We need to get the rest playing to see the best of Sammi.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:20 am

malcd1 wrote:
I am not a PP 'outer' but I think that day is getting closer. Once the majority of crowd turn on him that will be it.

My problem with Phil is he has no idea what is our best team or formation. It's as though he draws them out of the hat each week. He swaps his players and formation trying to stumble on a winning system and it really isn't good enough.

Bolton fans can take defeat as long as we have a go and give 100%. It seemed a bit better yesterday but the negative play and lack of creativity is a real worry. As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
And if he just played the same system and players week in and week out, you'd be saying "no plan B - really isn't good enough".

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm
malcd1 wrote:
As others have said, we are really missing Sammy. When is he due back as it can't come quick enough?
We surely can't be, or afford to be a one man team. As soon as Sammi appears he'll be marked c loser than xxxxx without an ankle tag. If Parky uses this and plays around it we might ease him back in quietly and effectively. If he comes back with us having expectations of his being a one man wonder boy it just won't happen. We need to get the rest playing to see the best of Sammi.
If Sammy is marked really closely it creates space for other players, so that's not necessarily a negative. I don't think anyone's suggesting we're a one man team, but he's clearly our best attacking player so it's not massively surprising that we've struggled going forward without him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:17 pm
malcd1 wrote:
He's one the few who can hold the ball in tight situations. You look at the team we're playing now and you ask "who will add the telling piece of quality" and its a struggle. Oztumer has a nice touch but is league one quality when it counts. Our wide players cannot beat a man - nor can our wingbacks. Our strikers seems to all be better with balls down the channel than holding off centre backs - so its not easy to play off a target like we did with Madine. Our midfield is competent but not incisive. All round we're a stronger side than last season (there are fewer weak spots in team and squad) but we're missing quality around the box. I don't think Sammy is the complete answer but he helps.

Right now our attacking players -
Wildschutt - been dreadful. Abysmal.
Noone - Absolute garbage.
Buckley - Good for 10 minutes then rubbish, then good, then injured.
Oztumer - can't hit a barn door, and his final ball is awful
Doidge - looks lively but chances aren't falling to him - and he needs a partner
Magennis - Big battering ram with a touch of pace - hard to see him bagging more than 10
Donaldson - Looks the part up until the finish. Is 34
Vela - Can't score, won't score. Can't pass, won't pass.
Williams - I like him, but he's a traditional all action midfield player - won't score or create many.

You can throw Olkowski (who is never a wing back) or Dyer (what the hell is he?) into the mix.

The bottom line is there is precious little invention in there nor goals.

Wildschutt was a good idea but it hasn't worked. You can see if he was confident and in the right frame of mind he'd be a threat. But he's neither of those things and I'm guessing is least suited to a side struggling as we are. Noone is a major disappointment. As well as being poor he's lazy.

We needed one of the wingers to come off - and they haven't. We needed one of the strikers to somehow step into Madine's shoes and whilst Magennis has partially done that he's a different type and it goes a long way to showing why we're a better away side than home side. Magennis is a battler and a chaser. He's not a hold up man. At home Madine let you play off him, with our strikers now they all want the same channel service but then we're not a team that naturally plays from there at home.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:20 am
malcd1 wrote:

And if he just played the same system and players week in and week out, you'd be saying "no plan B - really isn't good enough".
What I m saying is he has no Plan A never mind Plan B.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.