The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 pm

"Hey, Peter, you want to play for Bolton Wanderers?"

"Of course! What's the wage like?"

"Erm...how's a teabag per month, plus a biscuit every time we keep a clean sheet? ...Hello? Peter...?"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Maybe they didn't want to play for dougie?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
HMX wrote:Stab in the dark by Iles anyhow. They'd have come to us if we'd have had the money? Err, yeah.
To be fair he says he was told by Dougie himself. So that would be a bold claim to make if untrue!
interesting idea to go in for players WITHOUT any money!! are we trying to persuade them to play for free - just for the love of dougie??

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:01 pm

cmbfc_90 wrote:Maybe time Eddie sells up or looks for other investment
That's my thinking... when you look at it there's actually quite a lot of money in the Championship now, and with the new Premier League TV deals each season you'll get the relegated teams being able to spend to get back up alá QPR.

Either that or staying under Eddie's ownership (which I've always been thankful for, he's done great things for this club) we take the possible hit of relegation further down and complete change how the club is run. We have become one of those clubs that are stuck with poor players on large wages which leaves us unable to use the money more efficiently elsewhere.

The data analysis and player recruitment departments have gone through a much-advertised change and it is there we need to be looking for the future of the club. Finding value in players that no-one can see. Finding younger players that will develop at the club, with the flexibility to put them in if they are good enough (currently we have too many 'big' players who would kick up a fuss if they were dropped).

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Maybe where we went wrong was offering Knight and Mears to other football teams. Maybe we could have found a plumber or a call centre who would want to take them on as apprentices instead.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:03 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
HMX wrote:Stab in the dark by Iles anyhow. They'd have come to us if we'd have had the money? Err, yeah.
To be fair he says he was told by Dougie himself. So that would be a bold claim to make if untrue!
interesting idea to go in for players WITHOUT any money!! are we trying to persuade them to play for free - just for the love of dougie??
Good tactics for me. Bid late and close to the deadline, throw the paperwork at them without giving them time to read it, and hope they sign it without looking at the money bit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

If we genuinely couldn't match a deal for a player Barnsley have just signed, then that just sums up the situation.

I don't care what anyone says IF this is the case then the club is headed for a real tricky period. Sounds like Eddie really has had enough.

Batten down the hatches.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm

And if that's the case, I'd be surprised if Dougie were to stick it much longer.........

cmbfc_90
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cmbfc_90 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 pm

Also what was the breaking news that was supposed to be announced today? Or do the papers just make up the biggest load of crap ever! Sounds like the job for me

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 pm

jimbo wrote:And if that's the case, I'd be surprised if Dougie were to stick it much longer.........
Iles has tweeted 'Dougie on his way home, I wonder what he's thinking?'

But yeah he's not likely to walk, not enough experience yet to do that.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm

Load of horseshit that were paying less than Barnsley. Our wage budget is higher, but full. If Dougie really is Allardyce MKII then time to earn his corn like Allardyce did.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:17 pm

cmbfc_90 wrote:Also what was the breaking news that was supposed to be announced today? Or do the papers just make up the biggest load of crap ever! Sounds like the job for me
Well, this is what Neil Bonnar claimed;

'Big changes planned at #bwfc . End of the road for some players. No punches pulled. All in tomorrow's paper'

Did anyone pick a copy up?
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
jimbo wrote:And if that's the case, I'd be surprised if Dougie were to stick it much longer.........
Iles has tweeted 'Dougie on his way home, I wonder what he's thinking?'

But yeah he's not likely to walk, not enough experience yet to do that.
No, but should the right job come up........ He must be looking at Palace and regretting the move a bit. At the time we genuinely were the more attractive option but things have changed a fair bit since then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Load of horseshit that were paying less than Barnsley. Our wage budget is higher, but full. If Dougie really is Allardyce MKII then time to earn his corn like Allardyce did.
Can't compare the squad Allardyce was left with to this one. Gudjohnsen, Fish, Elliot, Warhurst, Jensen etc

Ok some of those were sold. But he was then allowed to bring in a lot of players.

Still has quality to work with.

This squad is not that and you know it!

And Allardyce is a very good manager. But could even he repeat that? I doubt it. At West Ham more recently he promoted them (via the playoffs) by spending loads on the likes of Nolan, Vaz Te, Maynard etc. In fact he described that investment as vital to reinvigorate West Ham from their relegation. Certainly didn't say he could do it on the cheap!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Load of horseshit that were paying less than Barnsley. Our wage budget is higher, but full. If Dougie really is Allardyce MKII then time to earn his corn like Allardyce did.
Whilst not fundamentally disagreeing, the starting situation is rather different. Allardyce started off with a team that cost bugger all to run and built up steadily, generally doing "try before you buy" schemes and the like in the earlier Prem Years. People who were on longer Contracts when we got promoted was ok, because we could almost afford to ignore it, as the new TV money more than paid for shunting out who we wanted...

Freedman has the problem of getting the high earners off the books to make some room.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Its such a shame we couldn't bring any defenders in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Lord Kangana wrote: If Dougie really is Allardyce MKII then time to earn his corn like Allardyce did.
Who is the Ian Marshall of today? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Nearly 200 pages and this thread is truly beginning to live up to its name.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Whilst not fundamentally disagreeing, the starting situation is rather different. Allardyce started off with a team that cost bugger all to run and built up steadily, generally doing "try before you buy" schemes and the like in the earlier Prem Years. People who were on longer Contracts when we got promoted was ok, because we could almost afford to ignore it, as the new TV money more than paid for shunting out who we wanted...

Freedman has the problem of getting the high earners off the books to make some room.
I'm comparing Allardyce's first full season. If you recall, the club was in a parlous financial state. I'm not having that the quality of that squad was significantly different to this. We effectively got promoted with the previous season's reserves, plus some flotsam and jetsam picked up for nowt or on loan (Michael Ricketts being an excellent example). Indeed, whilst the two situations are not identical, they bear a great deal of similarity to each other.

Young promising goalie? Check! Some youth players playing fringe roles, one or two proving themselves? Check! Free and cheap signings, along with some of the old Prem players who got relegated? Check!

We had Ian Marshall, Franck Passi, Jon O'Kane, Gareth Farrelly etc etc etc in that side. It was in no way a side that Allardyce would have wanted - just check out the interviews he gave where he waxes lyrical about wishing he could have hung on to Fish, Gudjohnsson, Jensen (and all the others). He was forced to sell them, the money was not reinvested.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I'm comparing Allardyce's first full season. If you recall, the club was in a parlous financial state. I'm not having that the quality of that squad was significantly different to this. We effectively got promoted with the previous season's reserves, plus some flotsam and jetsam picked up for nowt or on loan (Michael Ricketts being an excellent example). Indeed, whilst the two situations are not identical, they bear a great deal of similarity to each other.

Young promising goalie? Check! Some youth players playing fringe roles, one or two proving themselves? Check! Free and cheap signings, along with some of the old Prem players who got relegated? Check!

We had Ian Marshall, Franck Passi, Jon O'Kane, Gareth Farrelly etc etc etc in that side. It was in no way a side that Allardyce would have wanted - just check out the interviews he gave where he waxes lyrical about wishing he could have hung on to Fish, Gudjohnsson, Jensen (and all the others). He was forced to sell them, the money was not reinvested.
Fair points LK, and I agree that we need something like what Allardyce did...

But if the contention is, that we can't move on anyone without someone going out (to free up some wages), then it simply might not be possible, if we couldn't afford to rip up some Contracts, because we'd have to pay Compo or whatever, and no bugger's interested in buying any of our players (or when they are, they can't afford what we're currently paying them either), then we're in a bit of limbo.