The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The "Nothing to see here"Transfer thread

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Then lets all just get on with it, shall we?

And drop Zat f*cking Knight!!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm

talking of big sam and transfer windows... he's not currently East Lahhndan's favourite son...
I am distraught West Ham have made no signings. We lack depth, have plenty of injuries and only one recognised forward fit, Modibo Maiga.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:17 pm

thebish wrote:talking of big sam and transfer windows... he's not currently East Lahhndan's favourite son...
I am distraught West Ham have made no signings. We lack depth, have plenty of injuries and only one recognised forward fit, Modibo Maiga.
They have a recognised forward fit (which suggest they have other recognised forwards too)...Happy to swap.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:talking of big sam and transfer windows... he's not currently East Lahhndan's favourite son...
They have a recognised forward fit (which suggest they have other recognised forwards too)...Happy to swap.
would you recognise him? I wouldn't!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Talking of Lahndan, SSN has just had the obligatory biannual 'Arry car window interview. Bedtime.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Load of horseshit that were paying less than Barnsley. Our wage budget is higher, but full. If Dougie really is Allardyce MKII then time to earn his corn like Allardyce did.
Whilst not fundamentally disagreeing, the starting situation is rather different. Allardyce started off with a team that cost bugger all to run and built up steadily, generally doing "try before you buy" schemes and the like in the earlier Prem Years. People who were on longer Contracts when we got promoted was ok, because we could almost afford to ignore it, as the new TV money more than paid for shunting out who we wanted...

Freedman has the problem of getting the high earners off the books to make some room.
I'm comparing Allardyce's first full season. If you recall, the club was in a parlous financial state. I'm not having that the quality of that squad was significantly different to this. We effectively got promoted with the previous season's reserves, plus some flotsam and jetsam picked up for nowt or on loan (Michael Ricketts being an excellent example). Indeed, whilst the two situations are not identical, they bear a great deal of similarity to each other.

Young promising goalie? Check! Some youth players playing fringe roles, one or two proving themselves? Check! Free and cheap signings, along with some of the old Prem players who got relegated? Check!

We had Ian Marshall, Franck Passi, Jon O'Kane, Gareth Farrelly etc etc etc in that side. It was in no way a side that Allardyce would have wanted - just check out the interviews he gave where he waxes lyrical about wishing he could have hung on to Fish, Gudjohnsson, Jensen (and all the others). He was forced to sell them, the money was not reinvested.
Are you really trying to tell us that Knight and Wheater are as good as Bergsson and Whitlow?

And that we've got anyone as good as Robbie Elliot or Paul Warhurst or Frandsen in this squad?

I think that would be a tough argument to make.

I don't think we've got anyone as good as Holdsworth.

Allardyce was allowed to bring in premiership loans in Hendry and Farrelly. Where are our premiership loans now?

I don't think you can at all compare that squad with this one. And seemingly the ability to bring in players now is reduced too!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:27 pm

^ I thought you said you didn't care what anyone said! (just an exception for the lucky LK?) ;-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:28 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
would you recognise him? I wouldn't!!
No, I'd want the injured ones too! (including Carroll :-) )

They can have ours...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Its the usual weasel words to say "premiership loans". Most of this squad has quite extensive premiership experience. Farrelly was bog standard at best. And Mike Whitlow was never a centre half whilst I've got a hole in my arse, that is until Sam got hold of him, and played him in a very rigid system where every player knew their role. And therein lies the rub. Mills, Wheater, Knight and Baptiste have the requisite quality to be up near the top. does this make them great? No. but a decent manager would tease it out of them.

I personally would drop Knight right now, put Baptiste in the centre, kiss and make up with Mears, and play the Ream, Medo and Spearing combo in front. I'd leave Beckford on the bench, and I'd be starting Hall for his energy.

I'm afraid you can argue all you like, theres enough here for a decent manager to shape a promotion side out of. After the idiotic jumping the gun last night, I fear the dressing room may do for him if he doesn't get a grip very soon anyway. No use making threats and not backing them up. He's young, and his inexperience may just cost us and him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its the usual weasel words to say "premiership loans". Most of this squad has quite extensive premiership experience. Farrelly was bog standard at best. And Mike Whitlow was never a centre half whilst I've got a hole in my arse, that is until Sam got hold of him, and played him in a very rigid system where every player knew their role. And therein lies the rub. Mills, Wheater, Knight and Baptiste have the requisite quality to be up near the top. does this make them great? No. but a decent manager would tease it out of them.

I personally would drop Knight right now, put Baptiste in the centre, kiss and make up with Mears, and play the Ream, Medo and Spearing combo in front. I'd leave Beckford on the bench, and I'd be starting Hall for his energy.

I'm afraid you can argue all you like, theres enough here for a decent manager to shape a promotion side out of. After the idiotic jumping the gun last night, I fear the dressing room may do for him if he doesn't get a grip very soon anyway. No use making threats and not backing them up. He's young, and his inexperience may just cost us and him.
Think I'm in broad agreement with a lot of this. This is largely the same side that went on a decent run Feb/Mar-May, just last season.

Yes we lost Dawson, but we've added a couple of defenders (both with experience), two midfielders that allegedly "can create a bit", and a further striker that "has to be an improvement on SKD"....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:41 pm

He's made it difficult for himself coming out with all that stuff and not being able to back it up. No doubt he wanted rid of people but he must've realised it would be tough if not nigh on impossible to achieve. He now has a tough motivational job on bis hands. Having said that the players should realise how badly they let him down and knuckle down. Then again....

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:48 pm

The thing is, the fact nobody was interested in the players Dougie wanted to get rid of might hit home to those players in question, that their efforts have been so poor they can't even get moved on despite the club offering them out.

Whoever they are (we all have a pretty good idea), they need dropping from the team and having a brush up on the merits of merit.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Its the usual weasel words to say "premiership loans". Most of this squad has quite extensive premiership experience. Farrelly was bog standard at best. And Mike Whitlow was never a centre half whilst I've got a hole in my arse, that is until Sam got hold of him, and played him in a very rigid system where every player knew their role. And therein lies the rub. Mills, Wheater, Knight and Baptiste have the requisite quality to be up near the top. does this make them great? No. but a decent manager would tease it out of them.
This is spot on.

Some of our fans want to criticise the talent we have but they're not nearly as bad as some are making out. The way people talk, you'd think they were some of the worst defenders in the league. They've all played in the Premier League, they have around 1000 games between them and we've seen them all play good games in the past. If we had someone like Allardyce in control of these players, they'd be turned into a good defence overnight because whilst they're not brilliant individuals, they clearly don't have any defensive structure in place and that's the root of the problem. We defend too deep, we are awful against crosses, there are too many gaps, the communication is obviously poor - these are all things that can be corrected. Our defenders aren't top quality individuals but they are capable of being a strong defence for this league with the right guidance, so I think it's unfair of our fans to pin the blame on them for the goals we concede.

They're not great and they're not awful but the point is, a good manager would get a lot more out of them than what Freedman is getting. If Allardyce came in tomorrow, we'd concede fewer goals than any other team in the league for the rest of the season.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 am

danardif1 wrote:The thing is, the fact nobody was interested in the players Dougie wanted to get rid of might hit home to those players in question, that their efforts have been so poor they can't even get moved on despite the club offering them out.

Whoever they are (we all have a pretty good idea), they need dropping from the team and having a brush up on the merits of merit.
If we made a wild assertion that they might have been Knight, N'gog and Wheater.

Knight is 33 and has one year on his current deal - I bet most Clubs likely to sign a 33 year old defender wouldn't pay him what we're paying him.

Wheater is only 26, but has just signed a three year extension. He could chug along being shit until 2016 with little pressure.

There seems to be some interest in N'gog from a few Clubs who can't have been watching him very closely - I can only assume either our asking price or his wages are preventing any movement - his Contract expires at the end of the season, by which time we'll either get nowt for him, or he'll probably have to take a pay cut...

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:03 am

Lord Kangana wrote: After the idiotic jumping the gun last night, I fear the dressing room may do for him if he doesn't get a grip very soon anyway. No use making threats and not backing them up. He's young, and his inexperience may just cost us and him.
i thought it were more like when megson went apeshit at nolan for not pushing them up at blackburn that time. if someones not taking him on, then..

He looked pissed off , jumpin' the gun or not. summat wanted sayin'. i'd rather this than the "we'll be reet" while staring relegation in the face for 8 months of x seasons ago.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 am

Megson was gone before a year was out after that little incident. And Megson was shocking at scapegoating people in public. If he'd have said "that was a pile of steaming shite, some heads are going to get knocked together, we'll sort this out in the dressing room and did I mention heads being knocked together?" then that would be fine.

What he actually inferred was that players would be moved on. And maybe they still will be in the loan market (can they be?). But he's done himself absolutely no favours by making idle threats if they're not. Not one bit.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 am

they should take him on. they all stood by when coyle did feck all. why be all " he's a knob this guy , he makes us run / doesnt know what the feck to do " with douglas , but be like church mice about coyle ? even stories about megson and the certain cabals didnt like him or whatever, but they got pissed off enough to be arsed about it .

dont get it.

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:27 am

itll be reet

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:09 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:
This is spot on.

Some of our fans want to criticise the talent we have but they're not nearly as bad as some are making out. The way people talk, you'd think they were some of the worst defenders in the league. They've all played in the Premier League, they have around 1000 games between them and we've seen them all play good games in the past. If we had someone like Allardyce in control of these players, they'd be turned into a good defence overnight because whilst they're not brilliant individuals, they clearly don't have any defensive structure in place and that's the root of the problem. We defend too deep, we are awful against crosses, there are too many gaps, the communication is obviously poor - these are all things that can be corrected. Our defenders aren't top quality individuals but they are capable of being a strong defence for this league with the right guidance, so I think it's unfair of our fans to pin the blame on them for the goals we concede.

They're not great and they're not awful but the point is, a good manager would get a lot more out of them than what Freedman is getting. If Allardyce came in tomorrow, we'd concede fewer goals than any other team in the league for the rest of the season.
What's wrong with the structure? What would you change about it?

You want to defend higher up the pitch with Knight and Wheater?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 am

I think you've just inadvertently struck upon the major problem.