Davo not in England Squad this time

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I can only suggest that Crouch has a certain wild card value that Davies doesn't have. I could be wrong,or just biased, but I have a feeling he will play Davies and Rooney up top in the next proper match.He's taking the opportunity to work with a few other players and get them into the set up.Realistically you've got to hope as England manager he already knows what all the players have to offer.It's intersting that he was at the wolves game as I asssume he'd already decided on his squad. Course there's the danger that Davies being part of a fluent passing team that plays through the midfield may not be able to adapt to the tactics of the national team. :)
I reckon this might have more to do with the fact that the early kick off was at Villa, and Wolves was the only option for him to see another full game.

My optimistic side tells me he is picking people to give them a bit of friendly experience. I sincerely hope that Davo is higher up the 'real' pecking order than Carlton Cole.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Owen'sEleven wrote:
Ianmooreslovechild wrote:I can only suggest that Crouch has a certain wild card value that Davies doesn't have. I could be wrong,or just biased, but I have a feeling he will play Davies and Rooney up top in the next proper match.He's taking the opportunity to work with a few other players and get them into the set up.Realistically you've got to hope as England manager he already knows what all the players have to offer.It's intersting that he was at the wolves game as I asssume he'd already decided on his squad. Course there's the danger that Davies being part of a fluent passing team that plays through the midfield may not be able to adapt to the tactics of the national team. :)
I reckon this might have more to do with the fact that the early kick off was at Villa, and Wolves was the only option for him to see another full game.

My optimistic side tells me he is picking people to give them a bit of friendly experience. I sincerely hope that Davo is higher up the 'real' pecking order than Carlton Cole.
Yes - he was at the Villa game. Probably to check if Smalling looked good sat on a bench.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Why would he say Davies is experienced after 20 mins

f*ck me if he's going to play in the next competitive match he needs a friendly start under his belt!

sorry lads but thats it, Davo has had his token cap to shut us from up north up

return to the status quo with the southern media picking the team

Cappello - no balls, f*cking clueless, and the nice person is probably gonna walk out of this job a few million quid richer. Bastard,

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

apart from the personal desire on behalf of KD for him to have some ambitions met re. playing for england...

as a selfish fan - I'd much rather have him well rested for his next Bolton outing.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:15 pm

WOW, of all people, Alan Green has just said that this decision is ridiculous, and pointed out Capello was at the Reebok last week to see the best striking display of anplayer this season.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:26 pm

The surprise at his omission is widespread, although expect Martin Samuel to infest the Daily Mail website any time in the next 24 hours to proclaim that English football is the winner because of his omission.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:26 pm

fatshaft wrote:WOW, of all people, Alan Green has just said that this decision is ridiculous, and pointed out Capello was at the Reebok last week to see the best striking display of anplayer this season.
:shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:31 pm

Carlton Cole.

I give up, its not worth the effort.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Carroll a doubt now...any chance?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Cole's already in for Carroll. Apparently Agbonlahor's been sent back, but there's probably some kid in United's u-18s that'll get called up first

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Cahill's back in, on account of the fact that JT is out injured...

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 pm

After all the hype about Capello, it's clear that he follows the exact same selection policy as Eriksson and McLaren, which breaks down roughly like this:

95%: Don't rock the boat. They call up the same players they always call up. Gerrard and Lampard in the same midfield even though we know it doesn't work. Rooney plays no matter if he's injured, out of form, or nailing some gutter tramp 5 minutes before kick-off. Crouch plays because he scores goals against nations the size of a golf course. Shawn Wright-Phillips, Heskey, and Lescott may not be good enough for their mid-table teams but they are good enough for the World Cup because . . . well, they've always been there.

3%: Sensible call-ups based on form. Davies, Zamora, Cahill, Adam Johnson, etc.

1%: You play for West Ham, so you're in. Green, Upson, Cole, come on down.

1%: Total brain-farts. Jay Bothroyd, Jamie Carragher, David Nugent, Theo Walcott circa 2006.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Your maths is all wrong.

You forgot to include - "5%, you clean the bogs or sweep the terraces at Spurs, so at least 20 caps. Great North London side, don't you know".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:05 pm

fatshaft wrote:WOW, of all people, Alan Green has just said that this decision is ridiculous, and pointed out Capello was at the Reebok last week to see the best striking display of anplayer this season.

in that case - I'm beginning to think we all must be wrong...

Davies for England - feck no - that'd be stupid!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:09 pm

And even West Ham fans were phoning in saying Carlton Cole was dogw*nk.

I'm still giving up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Well I'm happy my seemingly lone defence of Jay Bothroyd will be tested. Speaking to my Cardiff supporting friend earlier and both agreed Bothroyd deserves to be there, but behind Davies. Very few fit English strikers around, and fewer in form, those two and Carroll must be it? 15 goals at this point, even in the Championship is not to be sneered at, and I think he might well prove a few folk wrong. Anyway, Bothroyd I can just about accept, if we are 'picking players in form' for a friendly. Agbonlahor is a different option than the others so hmmm still just about a very generous benefit of the doubt, but fecking Crouch. He was at that bastard game. Lanky piece of piss who can't hold it up and has proven time and time again he is a decent option for scoring goals against crap teams, but ruins the overall play coz the thick bastards just hit it long and he can't head. Won't learn anything by playing him in this game, and he is playing poorly. I was angry then, but then that Brummie little tosser drops out and he picks a bloke who can't get into the worst team in the league? Kenwyne Jones is better than Can't Control, and as we all know, I'm better than Kenwyne Jones.

And Smalling? Cock off. Lescott, 2nd choice left back and fifth choice centre half at City? I'd be pissed off if I was Derek Boyata, never mind Cahill or Shawcross. Or Jones. Or Rodwell.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 pm

My argument against Bothroyd is as follows
1 - "trying out younger players". Bothroyd is 28 and does not have a long term international future
2 - he has a reputation for being "difficult to manage"
3 - whilst his goal tally this season is impressive, surely the Championship is a massive step away from the Premier League, otherwise why is Smalling's Champions League experience valued more than Cahill's Prem
4 - Premier League record. Speaks for itself

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:47 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:My argument against Bothroyd is as follows
1 - "trying out younger players". Bothroyd is 28 and does not have a long term international future
2 - he has a reputation for being "difficult to manage"
3 - whilst his goal tally this season is impressive, surely the Championship is a massive step away from the Premier League, otherwise why is Smalling's Champions League experience valued more than Cahill's Prem
4 - Premier League record. Speaks for itself
I'm not sure we can really use one whilst moaning about Davo's omission can we :D? I disagree with three because I think that's a bollocks decision too. Smalling is in because of the name on his contract. No experience, just coz Fergie reckons he'll be good in a bit.

I agree his previous Premier League record is rubbish, but when I saw him before he wasn't playing as an out and out target man. Equally Davo looked poor in all but one of his Prem seasons before he came to us. Sometimes players mature, sometimes they go to a new club and find their groove. He has been absolutely outstanding for the last 18 months, and more important to them than Bellamy at the moment. Does any of that mean he could necessarily cut it at premiership level never mind international level? No, but I think he deserves a chance. What are we going to learn form playing Crouch? He has 40 odd caps and has been to major tournaments where he has proven he isn't good enough as a consistent first choice player. I'd have picked Carroll and either Agbonlahor or Davies to start, and the other one with Bothroyd on the bench. Can't control would be about option 4,596,607. Roughly

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

At 28 Davo was leading the line in a European chasing side that just missed out on the Champions League.

You're going to have to come up with a better argument for slightly-less-shit-than-Cole Bothroyd.

Don't worry though, I've still given up.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 pm

My argument is that some players improve later on in their careers. I'd never ever have Bothroyd over Davo, but given the only other strikers around who are English, fit, not wank, and not playing like wank are Davo, Carroll and Agbonlahor, I think it's right he gets given a chance. Along with Davo. Behind Davo in the queue. In front of Cole though. It's still hardly uplifting that a guy who has proven in the Championship only recently that he might one day, if given the chance, cut the mustard at Premiership level is the fourth best we've got, but that's a different argument.