Away form

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Away Form

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Mr Pot, Mr Kettle here.

I don't get this whole out of the last 10 away games bit either.

Looking at the current league table - which is the ultimate arbiter, we're 8th. Never mind the ifs buts and maybe's (other than the awful and fairly random punctuation).

League Table is the only stat that counts.

Last 10 away games is worth thinking about when you've been to most of them!

If we want to improve while OC is still here, this is where it's gonna have to happen. We've been nothing short of very good at home and we have the best value ST in the division in my mind, but away form is what seperates good teams from the average if we're really gonna do something like finish 6th under this manager. He's still learning and it's probably the hardest thing to get right.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Let's just hope we can win the next two away matches so that we can put this topic to rest and all agree that we are an excellent away side based upon the form of those 2 games. :wink:

Seriously though yesterday we looked tired, and the player we missed the most was Holden. Gardner made a big difference as an individual but the rest of the team looked knackered by that point, and the game was already out of reach.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Isn't it odd though that the team that could only win away due to the negative atmosphere at the Bok, now we can hardly muster a scrap away from it!

Still maintain that we haven't been that far from a decent away haul. Some decent away draws, and no losses where you would say "we'd expect to win that".

We can improve for sure, being difficult to beat away from home rather than plaudits for a positive mentality would be nice

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Lets hope we all enjoy Blackburn eh?
I'll be out of the Country...

Will you make your bloody mind up which stats you want to use to support your argument?

Let's forget for a minute that the last 10 aways have included 6 sides from the top 10, 5 of which are currently in the top 6, and that the last 10 aways haven't included anyone in the bottom 5.

Last 10 aways - 1 point. Over a season 1.9 points in total (we must be assuming West Ham get relegated)

Last 10 homes - 23 points. Over a season 44 points.

Puts us on 46. Either it's the last 10 games form that counts or it isn't.

It's a fooking lovely day out there. Post something positive. For once in your life. Grumpy owd fecker. :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Will you make your bloody mind up which stats you want to use to support your argument?

Let's forget for a minute that the last 10 aways have included 6 sides from the top 10, 5 of which are currently in the top 6, and that the last 10 aways haven't included anyone in the bottom 5.

Last 10 aways - 1 point. Over a season 1.9 points in total (we must be assuming West Ham get relegated)

It's a fooking lovely day out there. Post something positive. For once in your life. Grumpy owd fecker. :mrgreen:
I would but unlike you I'm not off to sun myself somewhere!

:mrgreen:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I would but unlike you I'm not off to sun myself somewhere!

I'm not actually off sunning myself. Going to a 40th birthday party in Denmark...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: We're 17th in the league on aways. Nevermind the ifs buts and maybe's. Thats the stat that speaks for itself.

no - really, it doesn't. no "stat" speaks for itself without the context surrounding it. Worthy has quite reasonably given a context for that stat which paints a different picture to the story you tell around it.

both of you say - yeah it could be better

worthy says - we're not that far off it being better - we're not talking about a drastic change to make it good - in fact, it's all fairly marginal.

you appear to be saying - (at least it's how you come across) - that there is a much deeper fundamental problem which will take more than a simple swing in fortune on the odd game or two.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: We're 17th in the league on aways. Nevermind the ifs buts and maybe's. Thats the stat that speaks for itself.

no - really, it doesn't. no "stat" speaks for itself without the context surrounding it. Worthy has quite reasonably given a context for that stat which paints a different picture to the story you tell around it.

worthy says - we're not that far off it being better - we're not talking about a drastic change to make it good - in fact, it's all fairly marginal.

you appear to be saying - (at least it's how you come across) - that there is a much deeper fundamental problem which will take more than a simple swing in fortune on the odd game or two.
Yep thats what I'm saying.

I think its more than just saying "bit of luck here and there...".

W4E will disagree but I think either Coyle needs to change how we play away from home or bring in the players capable of playing the system he likes away from home. We'll see next season I guess.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Being as we're on 46 points I'm not that concerned.

If we were playing for draws at home, I might be.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

Yep thats what I'm saying.

I think its more than just saying "bit of luck here and there...".

W4E will disagree but I think either Coyle needs to change how we play away from home or bring in the players capable of playing the system he likes away from home. We'll see next season I guess.
One of the teams that play the same sort of style away from home as the 4-5-1 brigade are advocating - Stoke - have a bizarrely similiar record as ours.

Scored the same amount, conceded the same amount, have the same number of away points. I'm not convinced it's a panacea.

Newcastle on 19 points away (top of the chasing pack with Everton) have scored two less and conceded two less.

Liverpool have 15 points away and have scored two more and conceded the same amount.

Fine lines is all I'm saying.

Any improvement would be welcome, but we're not far off.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Mods - do you want to merge the threads??

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... =4&t=21892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Voice Of Reason

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:Mods - do you want to merge the threads??

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... =4&t=21892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:conf:
There is only one thread. :wink:
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

you want to merge page one and page three of the same thread?

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:27 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

Sorry CH, it's my mistake :wink: . It's the medication I've been on since Wembley and I'm finding it hard to cope :hang:
The Voice Of Reason

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:32 pm

We could merge it with "Nicky Hunt updates" if you like. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Sorry CH, it's my mistake. It's the medication I've been on since Wembley and I'm finding it hard to cope :hang:
Ya big daft get, it's not your medication. I was pulling your leg-I merged them like you asked!
Businesswoman of the year.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
We could merge it with "Nicky Hunt updates" if you like. :wink:
It would at least make our form look a bit better.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Away form

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

It is fairly marginal, but most of the time football is fairly marginal. I think if you look at it like 'If we held on here, if he'd scored that, if he hadn't saved that ect' you could make a case for us being on any number of points you like (8 of our 12 defeats all season have only been by the odd goal). I don't think arbitarily stopping a game at a random point and saying 'We could've taken a point here' suggests that much.

Our away form is shit, and over the season I think that is evident. We've been too easy to beat. That said, I don't really know what I'd do to change it, under Allardyce we had years where we were good at home and shit away, then vice versa. It just seems to be something that happens. Next season no doubt will see a totally different set of results

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:19 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Sorry CH, it's my mistake. It's the medication I've been on since Wembley and I'm finding it hard to cope :hang:
Ya big daft get, it's not your medication. I was pulling your leg-I merged them like you asked!
If you'll excuse the pun I think we were pulling each others CH, i obviously didn't make that wink big enough...back to this tangled thread :D
The Voice Of Reason

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: Away form

Post by seanworth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 pm

This thread was good but it seems to be off topic now. Can the mods lock it and start a new one?