Corners

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Corners

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:51 pm

All 11 men back, none on the post. So that's 11 players who have ALL been given the responsibilty of tracking a man and or getting a head on the ball. Still can't do it.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Fecking dire. Spurs go for the Bale nipping in at the front post EVERY single corner. Not only had we not picked this up by watching them take a single corner in the last two years, but having conceded from it once, how it can happen again, identically is beyond me.

Aaaalso, gives weight to those arguing against dragging everybody back. What the feck Klasnic was doing front post was beyond me. Clearly never going to be any use defending, so leave him up top and take two of theirs out!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Stephen Fletcher has scored more goals with his head in 2011 than anyone else in the Premier League.

The Burnley backroom boys should know him better than he knows himself.

Easy header 1-1.

If we were at least average at defending set pieces we could have half a dozen more points.

HEAD EXPLODING
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:01 pm

It's so feckin frustrating. The ineptitude of the coaches is costing us so many points it's unreal

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 pm

bet they all had a laugh on their christmas do , though.

:/

shit

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Mark Davies was given the responsibility of picking up Fletcher and he made a bollocks of it. Question is though - why was the shortest player in Christendom given the task of picking up one of their CF's? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:20 pm

I would love to see a "training session" at Euxton. On Boxing Day there was genuine bewilderment as Newcastle had their first free kick from a wide crossing position to see Leon Best stood in an offside position. Players looking at each other - you could almost hear the collective "whats he doing" and "who is picking him up". Absolutely fecking clueless, those nice people on the coaching staff are stealing a living.

wanderers_on_tour
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by wanderers_on_tour » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Mark Davies was given the responsibility of picking up Fletcher and he made a bollocks of it. Question is though - why was the shortest player in Christendom given the task of picking up one of their CF's? :conf:
Looked like it was Ricketts given the job but I havent seen the game since the 'Bok so stand to be corrected? Just that isn't Davies usually given the job of front post?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 pm

Davies should be the one left in the fckg centre circle to harass the defenders who'd then have to be in attendance. Probably the best ball control and speed of anyone we have .... Petrov excluded.

That, of course, presupposes we'd deign to put anyone there.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:35 pm

wanderers_on_tour wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Mark Davies was given the responsibility of picking up Fletcher and he made a bollocks of it. Question is though - why was the shortest player in Christendom given the task of picking up one of their CF's? :conf:
Looked like it was Ricketts given the job but I havent seen the game since the 'Bok so stand to be corrected? Just that isn't Davies usually given the job of front post?
Seems from replays to be Ricketts "marking" Fletcher. As one of our shorter players Mavis is indeed usually on post duty, as he was at the end when Tuncay nearly scored a diving header into his own net.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Athers wrote:Stephen Fletcher has scored more goals with his head in 2011 than anyone else in the Premier League.

Easy header 1-1.

If we were at least average at defending set pieces we could have half a dozen more points.

HEAD EXPLODING
I don't expect us to never concede from corners as goals always go in, but this has again cost us yesterday. Wheater individually at fault this time.

Maybe he switched off at the relief of not being passed to death for a minute. Wigan were by miles the better team but it still took them a set piece and a defensive mix up on our part for them to score.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Athers wrote:
Athers wrote:Stephen Fletcher has scored more goals with his head in 2011 than anyone else in the Premier League.

Easy header 1-1.

HEAD EXPLODING
I don't expect us to never concede from corners as goals always go in, but this has again cost us yesterday. Wheater individually at fault this time.
nahhh - it was the system.. :wink:

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Funnily enough the two goals wigan scored were nothing to do with systems,likewise the one we got.The possession and chances wigan didnt score and our lack of opportunities however may have had something to do with it. So actually you're right the result had nothing to do with the system.Like coyle says purely down to personell and we were desperately unlucky not to take the game having dominated the second half and played wigan off the park.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:57 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:Funnily enough the two goals wigan scored were nothing to do with systems,likewise the one we got.The possession and chances wigan didnt score and our lack of opportunities however may have had something to do with it. So actually you're right the result had nothing to do with the system.Like coyle says purely down to personell and we were desperately unlucky not to take the game having dominated the second half and played wigan off the park.
Nope.. But it was our system that led to them having about 47 corners (the'yre going to get success from at least one of them, on law of averages).

the fact that they practically attacked us for about 80 minutes of that game was also due to the system. Had we been playing a defensive midfielder, McCarthy may not have had 50 yards of space to himself to run in a straight line and prod the ball into an empty net

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:02 pm

I reckon Beausejour has taken over managing them; it was a very Chile-like, Chile-lite, set up they had. Two wide players up front, with two wider 'wing-backs' behind. The wide forwards took the full-backs inside and they played in the wingbacks behind Eagles and Petrov was embarrasing. Given all the time in the world because there middle 2/3/4/5 Mcarthyur + the free centre half stepping forward and/or either of the wide forwards dropping deep meant they got to piss around with only Nige for company.

He got tactically outclassed by pissing Martinez (/Biesla). Foo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:17 pm

anothher one today I see

what do they do in training?

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:anothher one today I see

what do they do in training?

They certainly don't cover the post, Ryo today was outside the post on at least 2 occasions. Fck me it's basic stuff.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I've started to consider winning corners a penalty against us. I know we're not gonna score, and it means the opposition have a chance to catch us on the break while our fullbacks lumber around in the box.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 pm

i raised an eyebrow last week as millwall had a very high number of corners. chelsea had quite a few today...it must be an appealing tactic to win cprnerd from us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:25 pm

motd
muamba marking drogba?
ryo stood wrong side of post!
wtf?