How many should OC rest/rotate/drop for Spurs?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

How many changes to last Saturday's starting line-up should Coyle make at Spurs?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:15 pm

5%
21%
19%
21%
9%
2%
No votes
No votes
5%
No votes
2%
16%

Total votes: 43

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: How many should OC rest/rotate/drop for Spurs?

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 pm

are you sure you really want myaichi to play? do you rate him like?

Wonderwanderer12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Wonderwanderer12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:are you sure you really want myaichi to play? do you rate him like?
Yeah, why not? How about you? :conf:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 am

I think we should JUST play Miyaichi ... & maybe a keeper.

We'd be bound to win then AND avoid those pesky other players getting in his way.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am

Definitely play Pratley, too

To increase the chances of avoiding non-injury for the crucial final games
Sto ut Serviam

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:15 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Definitely play Pratley, too

To increase the chances of avoiding non-injury for the crucial final games
:D

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:15 am

I said rotate 10
Sto ut Serviam

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 am

Jussi

Riley
Boyata
Knight
Alonso

Eagles
Muamba
Pratley
Vela
Petrov

Klasnic

Would be my line up.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 am

Muamba in - Pratley out

Klasnic in - Ngog out

Cant see Coyle dropping either Ricketts or Steinson as they were both good last week! If give Ream and Wheater another game see how they play together. As for the midfield need Muamba there rather than Pratley and then I'd give Klasnic a start to see what he can do from the off.. with Sordell coming from the bench!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:28 am

Sordell didn't play against Millwall because he was cup-tied. I'm guessing the rules haven't changed since then
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am

boltonboris wrote:Sordell didn't play against Millwall because he was cup-tied. I'm guessing the rules haven't changed since then
Wasnt aware of this, either way Klasnic must start!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:46 am

Well, I set the challenge and it's certainly stimulated conversation – and a wide spread of results.

For what it's worth, I'd be somewhere in the middle. I agree with the poster who said keep the centre-back combination, partly to help build a relationship there. Jussi needs match practice and with two big league games coming up I'd rest the full-backs (bringing in Alonso and Riley) and Reo-Coker (for Muamba).

Miyaichi and Pratley are still fresh. Ngog still makes the most sense up front – although we may have to sub him in the second half and Sordell's cup-tied. (Good as Klas is, it would be folly to switch to a four-man midfield at Spurs and he's not the man to lead the line, although if we're chasing it in the second half he could be a good link/second striker - perhaps coming on for Sparky to give him a rest.) Which leaves only a decision on the other winger: Petrov or Eagles? I'd be more inclined to play Eagles in the upcoming league games so it's one more game for Petrov, perhaps with a word in his ear that he's being pushed for a place.

So, for a variety of reasons, four changes: Jussi for Boggy, Riley for Steiner, Alonso for Ricketts and Muamba for NRC.

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Well, I set the challenge and it's certainly stimulated conversation – and a wide spread of results.

For what it's worth, I'd be somewhere in the middle. I agree with the poster who said keep the centre-back combination, partly to help build a relationship there. Jussi needs match practice and with two big league games coming up I'd rest the full-backs (bringing in Alonso and Riley) and Reo-Coker (for Muamba).

Miyaichi and Pratley are still fresh. Ngog still makes the most sense up front – although we may have to sub him in the second half and Sordell's cup-tied. (Good as Klas is, it would be folly to switch to a four-man midfield at Spurs and he's not the man to lead the line, although if we're chasing it in the second half he could be a good link/second striker - perhaps coming on for Sparky to give him a rest.) Which leaves only a decision on the other winger: Petrov or Eagles? I'd be more inclined to play Eagles in the upcoming league games so it's one more game for Petrov, perhaps with a word in his ear that he's being pushed for a place.

So, for a variety of reasons, four changes: Jussi for Boggy, Riley for Steiner, Alonso for Ricketts and Muamba for NRC.
Got to play the strongest possible team and I feel Klasnic is just as good as Ngog. We can get a result on Saturday I'd say possibly a draw then bring them back to the reebok and turn them over. Would love another wembley trip awesome day out! COYWM

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 pm

leyther95 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Well, I set the challenge and it's certainly stimulated conversation – and a wide spread of results.

Got to play the strongest possible team and I feel Klasnic is just as good as Ngog. We can get a result on Saturday I'd say possibly a draw then bring them back to the reebok and turn them over. Would love another wembley trip awesome day out! COYWM

"just as good as" is a bit of a slippery concept to define... I suspect that most people on here rate Klasnic as "as good as" or even "better than" Ngog in many categories (not least goal-scoring)..

BUT - that's not the same as observing that they are very different kinds of player - and that playing Klas in the role that we currently play Ngog (lone striker) - the role we used to play SKD in - would have implications for our shape - simply because Ngog is better at that particular role than Klas... that's not to say Ngog is better then Klas full-stop...

Klas doesn't really suit the lone striker role - and so doesn't fit as easily into the 4-5-1 shape that appears to give us greater solidity...

but he does score goals when brought on as a second striker - wherein lies the formation conundrum! 8)

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

thebish wrote:
leyther95 wrote:

"just as good as" is a bit of a slippery concept to define... I suspect that most people on here rate Klasnic as "as good as" or even "better than" Ngog in many categories (not least goal-scoring)..

BUT - that's not the same as observing that they are very different kinds of player - and that playing Klas in the role that we currently play Ngog (lone striker) - the role we used to play SKD in - would have implications for our shape - simply because Ngog is better at that particular role than Klas... that's not to say Ngog is better then Klas full-stop...

Klas doesn't really suit the lone striker role - and so doesn't fit as easily into the 4-5-1 shape that appears to give us greater solidity...

but he does score goals when brought on as a second striker - wherein lies the formation conundrum! 8)
The only argument I have is why is our top goal scorer sat on the bench every single week and gets a game every so often. Plays in that role or not he is a natural goal scorer Ngog might fit better in that position but if your playing a lone striker they need to be able be able to bag a few goals!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm

leyther95 wrote: The only argument I have is why is our top goal scorer sat on the bench every single week and gets a game every so often. Plays in that role or not he is a natural goal scorer Ngog might fit better in that position but if your playing a lone striker they need to be able be able to bag a few goals!
quite... which is why it is a conundrum!!

but I suspect you'd find Klas scoring a lot fewer goals if deployed in the starting lineup as lone striker... he doesn't make the link with the midfield as well as Ngog does - so he ends up looking isolated... plus - Spurs' back four would amble further up the pitch due to his not pressurising them - thus squeezing us back and putting us under further pressure...

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:20 pm

thebish wrote:
leyther95 wrote: The only argument I have is why is our top goal scorer sat on the bench every single week and gets a game every so often. Plays in that role or not he is a natural goal scorer Ngog might fit better in that position but if your playing a lone striker they need to be able be able to bag a few goals!

but I suspect you'd find Klas scoring a lot fewer goals if deployed in the starting lineup as lone striker... he doesn't make the link with the midfield as well as Ngog does - so he ends up looking isolated... plus - Spurs' back four would amble further up the pitch due to his not pressurising them - thus squeezing us back and putting us under further pressure...
And the answer is... (wait for it) 4-4-2 (ta da).

leyther95
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leyther95 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:22 pm

thebish wrote:

He has had little oppurtunity playing that lone stiker. I think Saturday will be a great chance to try him there and see if he can fit in which would be helpful for the 3 massive games following this weekend. Out of choice this would be my starting 11

Bogdan

Steinson
Ream
Wheater
Ricketts

Muamba
Davies
NGR
Petrov
Myachi

Klasnic

Jussi
Riley
Knight
Eagles
Pratley
Sordell
Ngog

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 pm

The Axman wrote:
thebish wrote:

And the answer is... (wait for it) 4-4-2 (ta da).
The trouble is the question might be "which formation have we consistently struggled to get a result with, and more often than not been played off the park by the opposition when utilising?"

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:Jussi

Riley
Boyata
Knight
Alonso

Eagles
Muamba
Pratley
Vela
Petrov

Klasnic

Would be my line up.
If this is a cup game we can be experimental with I'd like to see Riley and Vela on the pitch, Boyata and Alonso too seeing as they're here.

I think we should be able to rest a couple without getting a tonking, if we set up sensibly. I went with three as I can't see Coyle chucking in kids for it but we shouldn't get important players injured in the cup.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:31 pm

I just don't see Klas up front on his own. He has neither the physical attributes of a big hold up man nor the pace and/or workrate of someone like Doyle or Long who can play it reasonably well. Pure finishers have had their day in football which is why he's best off the bench.

As for who to play up front on Saturday, I don't know really... Probably Davies, just for the sake of playing someone.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;