. . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: . . . and take Gartside with you, too.

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:It’s not just Coyle. From the embarrassing public spat with Allardyce, to the appointment of Sammy Lee, to Megson and his overpriced signings, to Coyle, Gartside just doesn’t seem to have gotten anything right in the past few years. Keeping Coyle on after relegation was simply unforgiveable. Everyone else could see that Coyle was not up to the job. Now we’re trying to find a replacement mid-season, when we’ve spent our transfer funds and are closer to relegation than promotion.

I don’t know who would replace Gartside, but I don’t know how anyone could think he’s up to the job anymore, let alone worth the fortune he gets paid.
That fortune is less than half of what Martin Petrov gets... Who's done more for BWFC in your opinion out of those 2??

Gartside has overseen the greatest period in the club's history and found a backer willing to practically write of £130m.

As for the first sentence, you obviously have no idea of the damaging behaviour of Sam Allardyce.. I'd do more than not give the bloke money.... I'd shoot the cvnt in the face.
I can't wait till Gartside goes and we get someone who isn't used to football, but is a "sooopa dooooopa" business man. Maybe an American.

I'll enjoy it when we don't sign any players, cos they take too long "assessing options and deals" and how we get a reputation for not knowing what we're doing.

How agents don't want to deal with us anymore and we're left unable to sign players we want.

Its happened elsewhere.
Even better than that: Let's sell up to an assett stripper and appoint their sales director as chairman..

It's also happened...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Hoboh wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:It’s not just Coyle. From the embarrassing public spat with Allardyce, to the appointment of Sammy Lee, to Megson and his overpriced signings, to Coyle, Gartside just doesn’t seem to have gotten anything right in the past few years. Keeping Coyle on after relegation was simply unforgiveable. Everyone else could see that Coyle was not up to the job. Now we’re trying to find a replacement mid-season, when we’ve spent our transfer funds and are closer to relegation than promotion.

I don’t know who would replace Gartside, but I don’t know how anyone could think he’s up to the job anymore, let alone worth the fortune he gets paid.
That fortune is less than half of what Martin Petrov gets... Who's done more for BWFC in your opinion out of those 2??

Gartside has overseen the greatest period in the club's history and found a backer willing to practically write of £130m.

As for the first sentence, you obviously have no idea of the damaging behaviour of Sam Allardyce.. I'd do more than not give the bloke money.... I'd shoot the cvnt in the face.
worst crap I've ever seen posted that Boris!
Worse than the one you posted above this?

Tell me why, then!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

I can't wait till Gartside goes and we get someone who isn't used to football, but is a "sooopa dooooopa" business man. Maybe an American.

I'll enjoy it when we don't sign any players, cos they take too long "assessing options and deals" and how we get a reputation for not knowing what we're doing.

How agents don't want to deal with us anymore and we're left unable to sign players we want.

Its happened elsewhere.
We only use one to the best of my knowledge!
The best of your knowledge isn't very good then!

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 pm

We should keep Gartside because he brought in Eddie Davies and Big Sam? I guess we should play Djorkaeff and Hierro too, eh?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:We should keep Gartside because he brought in Eddie Davies and Big Sam? I guess we should play Djorkaeff and Hierro too, eh?

ok... I guess I am now buying into your "American knowledge of football means jack-shit in the English league" theory! :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:24 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:We should keep Gartside because he brought in Eddie Davies and Big Sam? I guess we should play Djorkaeff and Hierro too, eh?
Or we could get Randy Lerner in, see how popular he is with Villa fans eh?

FFS Gartside is effectively Chief Operating Officer reporting to Eddie Davies.

If you think appointing a different person to do that job would make things better, then you don't understand the job. Nobody can guarantee a managerial appointment will be successful. Nobody can come in and make a club like ours profitable and successful on the pitch. There are plenty trying and failing to do that up and down the country.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Nobody can come in and make a club like ours profitable and successful on the pitch. There are plenty trying and failing to do that up and down the country.
Gartside is one of them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Nobody can come in and make a club like ours profitable and successful on the pitch. There are plenty trying and failing to do that up and down the country.
Gartside is one of them.
And he's one of the few who have taken over a club that was about to go into administration near the bottom of the championship and turned it round and provided a platform for long term success.

You name me one other person we could appoint to that role, who is better qualified. Someone who can run and has experience of running a 50M turnover business, who has the footballing contacts, the agent contacts, the in depth knowledge of the transfer window etc etc....

The problems we have are in the main unavoidable.

Hit the glass ceiling under an ambitious manager, and suffered since. Unless you're incredibly lucky, thats life....

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The problems we have are in the main unavoidable.
That's B.S. Bedwetter is right. There hasn't been a real search for the best possible manager since Sam left. It's always been the easy choice: the coach who was already at the club, the guy who just happened to be represented by the agent who was leading the search, or the former Bolton player who Gartside had previously recommended to Burnley.

Despite Coyle's failings last season, we still could have stayed up if we locked down the 2-0 lead over West Brom. Unfortunately, Gartside made it very clear that no matter what happened, Coyle would still have a job. I believe this is one of the reasons Coyle never bothered with tactics or trying to organize the defense.

This was entirely avoidable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Unfortunately, Gartside made it very clear that no matter what happened, Coyle would still have a job. I believe this is one of the reasons Coyle never bothered with tactics or trying to organize the defense.
Hyperbole generally weakens rather than strengthens arguments. Coyle tried, but failed. To say he "never bothered" makes you look a little extreme.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:54 pm

A little extreme?

It makes him look a bit of a cvnt in my book

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I disagree with his opinion, but respect his right to put it forward. I'd rather this place didn't descend into black/white shouting and constant overstatement.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Unfortunately, Gartside made it very clear that no matter what happened, Coyle would still have a job. I believe this is one of the reasons Coyle never bothered with tactics or trying to organize the defense.
Hyperbole generally weakens rather than strengthens arguments. Coyle tried, but failed. To say he "never bothered" makes you look a little extreme.
What about Coyle's recent interview statements regarding tactics being overrated etc, and that everything was ok as long as we got at them (or similar)?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:07 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:The problems we have are in the main unavoidable.
That's B.S. Bedwetter is right. There hasn't been a real search for the best possible manager since Sam left. It's always been the easy choice: the coach who was already at the club, the guy who just happened to be represented by the agent who was leading the search, or the former Bolton player who Gartside had previously recommended to Burnley.
Gartside put a succession plan in to place with Sammy Lee. This was before Allardyce left. Are you honestly trying to tell me that you or anyone else knew that one of the most highly respected coaches in the game at that time would fail...for sure? I would praise Gartside for having such a plan. The fact it didn't work out hardly makes Gartside a unique failure in football.

Megson and the whole process of getting him. Yeah, that wasn't right. But again, you find me a chairman who hasn't brought in who he wanted and bollocks to what others felt. Hardly marks Gartside out uniquely does it? As for Coyle, he was regarded at the time as one of the best young managers about. It was a bit of a coup to get him. Not necessarily everyone wanted him, but are you honestly trying to tell me you could predict that he was shite?

You are spouting bollocks on the back of hindsight that Gartside didn't have. I think Gartside has made mistakes and said some cringe worthy things. But as far as chairmen goes, we've been in the lucky half of football this last decade. He does what he thinks is right for the club and right now has a huge problem of how to find the right person to move us forward again. Time to pull together everyone.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You are spouting bollocks on the back of hindsight that Gartside didn't have.
Hindsight? As in, nobody could have known Megson would fall out with the fans? Nobody could have forseen that Coyle was not going to succeed in the Championship after his awful record last season?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm

midlands exile wrote:
What about Coyle's recent interview statements regarding tactics being overrated etc, and that everything was ok as long as we got at them (or similar)?
He didn't, as far as I know, say never bothered with tactics. He obviously picked his teams in formations – generally (far too generally) the 4-4-2, but also the occasional one up top and most recently this three-centre-midfielders-plus-Eagles dice-throw.

I'm not defending Coyle's tactics, very far from it. But to say they didn't exist is childish oversimplification.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You are spouting bollocks on the back of hindsight that Gartside didn't have.
Hindsight? As in, nobody could have known Megson would fall out with the fans? Nobody could have forseen that Coyle was not going to succeed in the Championship after his awful record last season?
So a Chairman has to go because he didn't sack 1 manager soon enough? Because Megson upset you? Blimey, no one would last 2 minutes in any job if the world applied your thought processes. These days it seems to be de rigeur to be outraged at the most minor of things. Gartside hasn't been mistake free, but he's been a better chairman for us than most clubs have had.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh come on DSB, it's an internet forum, do we have to be that precise with our language? :-)

I'll say then that from interviews I read and the results on the pitch, I never got the impression Coyle was burning the midnight oil trying to find and exploit weaknesses in our opposition, or even play to his own players' strengths.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 pm

but... but... Jim White says he worked 18-hour days! :D

You can use whatever language you like. You're just less likely to win me over with patently overblown statements.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 pm

midlands exile wrote:
He didn't, as far as I know, say never bothered with tactics. He obviously picked his teams in formations – generally (far too generally) the 4-4-2, but also the occasional one up top and most recently this three-centre-midfielders-plus-Eagles dice-throw.

I'm not defending Coyle's tactics, very far from it. But to say they didn't exist is childish oversimplification.
“If people talk about tactics, this and that, they have to know the biggest thing in football is about players,” he said. “Regardless of what someone else's tactics are, if you are at yourself, it nullifies theirs. People in football will understand that, people out of football won't.”