Trotters' Ultimate Legend

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Re: Trotters' Ultimate Legend

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:You saw him play for his school team didn't you Tango?
Well, I did once see Pele and co training on Bromwich Street (it was from afar mind). :wink:
Sorry to do this to a relatively young man like you,Tango, but this reminds me of a fascinating conversation I had at Wallasey Golf Club a couple of years ago with a guy in his 90s who had seen Bobby Jones qualify for the Open at Royal Liverpool in 1930, the year he won what was then the Grand Slam of the game (The Open, British Amateur, US Open, US Amateur all in one calendar year).

Two years ago he was still having lunch at Wallasey GC once a week. I hope he's still going strong now.

Oh and Nat Lofthouse for me - the fact that I only have tales from my late grandfather is precisely why my appreciation for Nat is as a 'legend', even if I was lucky enough to meet him as a ten year old some 16 years ago now (when he was still an impressive figure of a man).

My dad has the Nat Lofthouse 'Goals Galore' book out in his living room even today, I believe.
Don't forget to mention you've been to Wallasey GC.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:35 am

TKIZ! wrote:Aye, my Dad has told me all about it and how they played at West Bromwich St. He took pictures of it all and I think got autographs as well. Think he was 16 at the time
Nat for me.

I saw him play - but only when he came out of retirement to protect the 16 year old wonder boy Franny Lee (who would be a candidate himself).

And Pele at Bromwich St in World Cup training
What goes around may still come around

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:48 am

Can't believe no one has mentioned Frank Worthington !! Our all time legend has to be Nat Lofthouse whether you have seen him play or not (I didnt) but come on !! a one team man with 452 appearances with 255 goals, coached, managed and the president of the club, we are having a statue built to the chap. On top of that the best goals to game ratio of an England player 30 goals in 33 appearances.

I'm surprised you needed to ask Robert !
Last edited by YtarmyYtarmy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 am

David Nugent has a better goals to game ratio.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 am

And if we're being serious, Steve Bloomer, the man Nat replaced as England's all time record scorer scored 28 in 23. We don't need to make stuff up for why he is a legend :D

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 am

Prufrock wrote:And if we're being serious, Steve Bloomer, the man Nat replaced as England's all time record scorer scored 28 in 23. We don't need to make stuff up for why he is a legend :D
Sorry my Bad :doh:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 am

Don't worry, I've f*cked up too. I've done a bit of checking, and Nat didn't replace Steve Bloomer, but Vivian Woodward who popped up with 29 in 23, which is even better than Bloomer. Best who scored at least ten was George Camsell who apparently got 18 in NINE!

YtarmyYtarmy
Promising
Promising

Post by YtarmyYtarmy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:10 am

Fair play, all creditable apart from Nugent 1 in 1 LOL ! Lesson learnt :oops:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:You saw him play for his school team didn't you Tango?
Well, I did once see Pele and co training on Bromwich Street (it was from afar mind). :wink:
Sorry to do this to a relatively young man like you,Tango, but this reminds me of a fascinating conversation I had at Wallasey Golf Club a couple of years ago with a guy in his 90s who had seen Bobby Jones qualify for the Open at Royal Liverpool in 1930, the year he won what was then the Grand Slam of the game (The Open, British Amateur, US Open, US Amateur all in one calendar year).

Two years ago he was still having lunch at Wallasey GC once a week. I hope he's still going strong now.

Oh and Nat Lofthouse for me - the fact that I only have tales from my late grandfather is precisely why my appreciation for Nat is as a 'legend', even if I was lucky enough to meet him as a ten year old some 16 years ago now (when he was still an impressive figure of a man).

My dad has the Nat Lofthouse 'Goals Galore' book out in his living room even today, I believe.
Don't forget to mention you've been to Wallasey GC.
The significance is that that is where the said qualifier was played.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Trevor Hebbard? No, me either :?

May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:37 pm

no shinpads though, tough b@st@rd

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Trevor Hebbard, I'd forgotten about him. With us on loan, went on to have a decent Premiership career.

He looks a hairy beggar.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

wembley1995
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wembley1995 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:18 pm

bob taylor
We're bolton wanderers we'll fight to the END!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:45 pm

wembley1995 wrote:bob taylor
oh yes! SupaBob... :oyea:

wembley1995
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by wembley1995 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 pm

We're bolton wanderers we'll fight to the END!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Lofthouse has to be the legend. Like Tango I saw him play but some old timers said that David Jack was better. Nat scored 255 goals for us in 452 appearances, or 0.56 goals per game. Jack scored 267 in his career but unfortunately only played with us for eight years (financial pressures made us sell him to Arsenal). He teamed up with the great Joe Smith in the twighlight of Joe's long career. Joe scored 254 goals for us in 449 appearances for an infinitesimally better gpg average than Nat. After playing with us for 19 years, Joe went to Stockport County where he scored 61 goals in 70 games over the next two years. :shock: Joe was a longtime manager of Blackpool and in addition to his FA Cup medals in 1923 and 1926 with us, he got one as manager in 1953 - yes, that final.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Never realised till today that Win Davis still lives in Bolton.(B.N). Not a legend but a dam good player for the Whites.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

John Byrom

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Never realised till today that Win Davis still lives in Bolton.(B.N). Not a legend but a dam good player for the Whites.
I'm surprised he lives here since he wasn't with us that long (I assume you mean Wyn Davies). He was supposed to replace Nat after the injury but couldn't save us from relegation. He could jump.

Edit: After further checking he retired to be a baker in Bolton so you are correct.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Checked a little further and found this:
Although Wyn still considers his time on Tyneside to be the peak of his career, his ties with Bolton were strong enough to see him retire here. Wyn worked at Warburtons the bakers for 13 years before retiring and, at the age of 66, can still be seen walking his dogs in Queens Park, working out in the gym and having a bet on the nags. In short, a normal bloke whose life would have turned out much differently had he been plying his trade in the modern game and earning today’s wages.
From http://www.catflapfootball.com/Football ... avies.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;