Why Do people Leave early ??

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Why Do people Leave early ??

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:26 pm

coffeymagic wrote:The simple answer is to make the game 85 minutes long.
Genius 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Do the people who leave the match early (for traffic reasons) use the same logic at other events also. Would they, for example, go to a Led Zep reunion gig and leave before the encore just to get home a little early?
Nice comparison but it falls down somewhat...and in favour of your incredulity. Pleasingly communal as it may be, the last song of the encore is almost always a song you've already heard. With football, our wonderful, stupid, unpredictable, brilliant, pointless bastard that it is, on the vast majority of occasions you don't know what's going to happen – especially if the sides are level or close. Yes, it might be crap, and nothing might happen, but you don't know that. That's why I can't leave early.

The only time I've ever left a game early was the Sherpa Van Trophy semi-final home leg in '89, and then only to get my away-leg tickets, which for some bizarre reason went on sale 15 minutes before the final whistle. Legged it up Croft Lane, heard the exultant celebrations of Ju Darby's goal, got tickets, legged it back down Croft Lane. Jobsworth steward wouldn't let me back on the Paddock but there was nobody on the Burnden Stand exit gate so I went up there, for the only time in my life. No empty seats so I stood right at the back, next to a bloke who chain-smoked 10 fags in 10 minutes.

(We won, kids.)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Do the people who leave the match early (for traffic reasons) use the same logic at other events also. Would they, for example, go to a Led Zep reunion gig and leave before the encore just to get home a little early?
Nice comparison but it falls down somewhat...and in favour of your incredulity. Pleasingly communal as it may be, the last song of the encore is almost always a song you've already heard. With football, our wonderful, stupid, unpredictable, brilliant, pointless bastard that it is, on the vast majority of occasions you don't know what's going to happen – especially if the sides are level or close. Yes, it might be crap, and nothing might happen, but you don't know that. That's why I can't leave early.

The only time I've ever left a game early was the Sherpa Van Trophy semi-final home leg in '89, and then only to get my away-leg tickets, which for some bizarre reason went on sale 15 minutes before the final whistle. Legged it up Croft Lane, heard the exultant celebrations of Ju Darby's goal, got tickets, legged it back down Croft Lane. Jobsworth steward wouldn't let me back on the Paddock but there was nobody on the Burnden Stand exit gate so I went up there, for the only time in my life. No empty seats so I stood right at the back, next to a bloke who chain-smoked 10 fags in 10 minutes.

(We won, kids.)
I think you're still in the 100% Club, as technically I don't think you left early. It's more like you were temporarily absent without leave.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:56 pm

(We won, kids.)
We did indeed, on the day I was born.

My dad still went to the game 8)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:57 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:(We won, kids.)

Heh! Which game? First leg, second leg or final?
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Congratulations, 89bwfc89, you've just made several forum members feel very old :D
Last edited by mrkint on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:

(We won, kids.)

What a guy!!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: (We won, kids.)

Is that why your middle name is Sherpavan?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
89bwfc89 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: (We won, kids.)

Is that why your middle name is Sherpavan?
People probably thought that was the place of conception...;)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:05 pm

89bwfc89 wrote: on the day I was born.

8)
And to think, Dan was still seven (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) years away from being even a glint in his dad's eye.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Just had to double check - the second leg was played on the day I was born, so not even like my Dad just nipped to Burnden then back to the hospital. Off he popped to Blackpool :lol:

LLS - How did you know!? Stalker. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:09 pm

(We won, kids.)
Although, the counter argument is, that you may pay anything from £20-£100 to see your favourite band/artist once/twice/three times or more in your lifetime. For the average person certainly 5 or 6 times at most. For a lot of people just once. And often you may assume it is the "only time you'll see them". As you have no idea if they will tour again.

So you want to get every last drop out of it.

Whereas, the unpredictability and excitement of football, may be a factor, that diminishes over your first 100, 500, 1000 games. Deep down you know if you do happen to miss a last minute goal, there'll probably, almost certainly be another one around the corner. It might be a season away, but there will be another chance. Almost certainly. Unless your 95. In which case, you're probably right to leave early, as your time, even 30 minutes of it, is fecking precious.

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:11 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

8)
And to think, Dan was still seven (1 2 3 4 5 6 7) years away from being even a glint in his dad's eye.
Was he not five (1 2 3 4 5) years away?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:17 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

8)
Was he not five (1 2 3 4 5) years away?
I thought he was seventeen? (2013-17=1996, 1996-1989=7) :?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:19 pm

He's called bwfcdan94. I think it might be for a reason....

:D

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 pm

89bwfc89 wrote:He's called bwfcdan94. I think it might be for a reason....

thats because we've had 93 other bwfcdan's on the forum

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:26 pm

david lee's bald patch wrote:

:lol: we've had at least one other. I remember him being very upset when the young whippersnapper came along.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

david lee's bald patch
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by david lee's bald patch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
david lee's bald patch wrote:

:lol: we've had at least one other. I remember him being very upset when the young whippersnapper came along.
I can imagione he did - especially with all the grammatical chaos

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Although, the counter argument is, that you may pay anything from £20-£100 to see your favourite band/artist once/twice/three times or more in your lifetime. For the average person certainly 5 or 6 times at most. For a lot of people just once. And often you may assume it is the "only time you'll see them". As you have no idea if they will tour again.
True, every gig is a unique event, and every time a song is played it's different. (Especially if it's Terry Riley's In C... :D )

But I still think football has more unpredictability and variety than any gig - especially when you know the band well. And especially when the match is close.

World is crazier and more of it than we think,
Incorrigibly plural. I peel and portion
A tangerine and spit the pips and feel
The drunkenness of things being various.

– Louis MacNeice, Snow

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Church of Anthrax... I'll say no more.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください