We're going to visit the queen

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: We're going to visit the queen

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Jermaine Beckford also faces a spell on the sidelines with a muscle strain and will definitely miss the @ReadingFC game.
Those black things that Beckford appends to his legs and that make him look fecking ridiculous (see also Eagles C.) what are they for? Are they not 'meant' to prevent muscle strains? Are we into Robbie Fowler and his Adam Ant nasal plaster territory here?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Jermaine Beckford also faces a spell on the sidelines with a muscle strain and will definitely miss the @ReadingFC game.
Those black things that Beckford appends to his legs and that make him look fecking ridiculous (see also Eagles C.) what are they for? Are they not 'meant' to prevent muscle strains? Are we into Robbie Fowler and his Adam Ant nasal plaster territory here?
http://science.howstuffworks.com/kinesiology-tape1.htm

There you go.

Sounds like bllx to me, but what do I know !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/kinesiology-tape1.htm

There you go.

Sounds like bllx to me, but what do I know !!
Think I've just seen an Emperor go past in the altogether,but altogether, the altogether
He's altogether as naked as the day that he was born.
The King is in the altogether, but altogether, the altogether
It's altogether the very least the King has ever worn. :roll:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 pm

I thought it sounded bollocks too but I'm sure someone sciencey on here said there's evidence suggesting it works.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:I thought it sounded bollocks too but I'm sure someone sciencey on here said there's evidence suggesting it works.
Dougie ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:47 pm

I've used it at football and seemed to do the trick for me. Just after a medial ligament strain. Felt a prang whenever I kicked through the ball, but it does something to the nerves pain receptors or something, which helps mask the pain. Does nothing for healing injuries I don't think, just helps you play through them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:58 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:I thought it sounded bollocks too but I'm sure someone sciencey on here said there's evidence suggesting it works.
Dougie ???
they started appearing ages ago (a long time pre-dougie) - they were discussed on this forum... (was it Steinner who wore them? somebody did in that era...)

am sure dougie must be to blame though...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 pm

boltonboris wrote: it does something to the nerves pain receptors or something, which helps mask the pain. Does nothing for healing injuries I don't think, just helps you play through them
Isn't that one of the reasons for which cortisone injections are banned?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 pm

They're banned because the cortisone calcifies or summat and the residue causes absolute feck* of the knee joint leading to all sorts of early old people shit

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote: it does something to the nerves pain receptors or something, which helps mask the pain. Does nothing for healing injuries I don't think, just helps you play through them
Isn't that one of the reasons for which cortisone injections are banned?
To digress a little, I heard a tale about a Swinton player being promised a cortisone injection before his next match, back in the dark ages. He turned up on the next Sunday a little earlier than usual and quite perky and enquired of one of the Directors as to where his new car was...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Worthy, that's absolute bullocks that story.

I played for Irlam

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

boltonboris wrote:They're banned because the cortisone calcifies or summat and the residue causes absolute feck of the knee joint leading to all sorts of early old people shit
... it also can only be applied so often. After two or three in a session you have to lay-off them for a couple of years at least.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 pm

boltonboris wrote:Worthy, that's absolute bullocks that story.

I played for Irlam
:D It was Tommy Frodsham (iirc) - I'm sure it's not quite right as cortisone takes at least 24 hours to become effective anyhow...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 pm

danardif1 wrote:
kieronbwfc93 wrote:as a wanderer living in berkshire its safe to say its not what its cracked up to be! haha
It's alright... I've been here since 2008 and quite like it. I'd say Reading lacks a bit of character, but it's nice enough in the right places.
You would all be very silly to describe the whole of Berks as a sh*thole. It depends what you look for in an area if it is opportunity to earn a 50k + wage and live in places with low crime then most of Berkshire wipes the floor with most places in the north west. However as Ardy and Kieron have pointed out the county (Berks) has absolutely no character and not even little villages like Arborfield have any sorts of community spirit, people in these parts think about number 1 and in the main their sole aim is to earn as much as possible despite the impact on anyone else (Kids etc). To most people who have been born and bred in the south east they do not understand community spirit and the idea of everyone clubbing together, they don't understand that there is more to life than money and they generally feel that good honest jobs (factory work, building etc) are for thickos and that people who work in such must either have low aspirations or be really really dim. In reality we all know different and I openly admit that I miss Horwich everyday. I would take the community spirit Horwich over the middle class poshness of Wokingham in a heartbeat. I mean I lived in the same street for 10 years and neighbours would not say hello to me or each other, I am glared at if I wear tracksuit bottoms and seen as like some god forsaken evil that has came out of the pits. I think its fair to say (and those living in Berks, Oxfords, London) will agree that there is something seriously lacking in these parts and that is something that know southerner would be able to understand IMHO.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Wokingham?

Posh?

You've set a low f*cking bar there Dan.

I daresay you'd describe New Bury as "up and coming".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm

boltonboris wrote:I've used it at football and seemed to do the trick for me. Just after a medial ligament strain. Felt a prang whenever I kicked through the ball, but it does something to the nerves pain receptors or something, which helps mask the pain. Does nothing for healing injuries I don't think, just helps you play through them
I've had it on my lower back and hip, it did make a difference. My physio is a sceptic with a keen bullshit detector and he uses it so good enough for me. Like you say it helps with symptoms that's all, stops you running funny to protect the injury and injuring something else. I'm not saying you'll run as perfectly as Josh Vela, the gazelle, but every little helps. It does make you look like a bit of a cock but who cares? Not me, I have no sense of shame or embarrassment.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Wokingham?

Posh?

It has finished in the top 10 "best" places to live in the country for at least the past 5 years, you and me both know that in Wokingham there is 3 cars per a household, an average wage that is probably double the national average, house prices at least double the national average, a tendency to think that everywhere north of Oxford is poverty filled towns where everybody lives in terraced house. There is an incredible ignorance here (as you clearly know) of to what the real life in this country is like. Oh and di I mention that most people call each other by the full names e.g Alexander. There is also some of the best schools in the country in these parts. But give me Horwich any day. What I am trying to say is that I certainly found it posh when I first moved here from Horwich and continue to do so to this day. I guess your probably from Bromley Cross "where the footballers live" apparently.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Also just to make a vital point - when I am trying to get my point across about a town I have been to should I use government statistics to try to prove my point or are they just a load of bull?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Wokingham?

Posh?

whilst i wouldn't take Dan's word for it (for obvious reasons) - I reckon your internal poshness barometer needs a shake... IIRC you were incredulous that M&S would be described as "posh"...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 pm

I also know its between Bracknell and Reading. The M4 corridor is the the singularly most depressing place outside of Luton I've ever had the misfortune to clap eyes on in this country. You could have 10 cars per household and it would still be f*cking horrible.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.