Attitudes towards female fans

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: Attitudes towards female fans

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 pm

thestudent wrote:I am a University student currently in the process of writing my dissertation and I am looking at the attitudes towards female football fans. There is limited research on female football fans therefore I want to find out more about the attitudes that both males and females have towards them. The following link is an example of how people may perceive female football fans and I want to gather data to find out if this is representative of the majority of the thoughts of both male and female fans: http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/17/do-you-kn ... t-4233869/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have posted a question below that will ideally facilitate a discussion between fans. From this, I can evaluate themes and issues for my discussion in my dissertation. Moreover, I have attached a link to a questionnaire below and I would be grateful if you could complete this in addition to participating in a discussion on this thread.

For ethical reasons, I will ensure that anyone that chooses to participate in this discussion will remain anonymous through the use of false names in my write up. Therefore, by posting on this thread you are giving me your consent for your comments to be used in my dissertation. The comments are solely for academic studies and will be used in this dissertation only. This also applies to the questionnaire; your identity remains anonymous. If however you would like to participate further in this project, there is an opportunity to leave your email address at the bottom of the questionnaire.

This may be a sensitive topic for some people so do not participate if you feel there may be some discomfort. However for those of you that do comment, be honest with your answers as every response will contribute to the results of my study and the more truthful insight I receive, the better.

Thank you in advance.

The question for this discussion is:
Are female fans different to male fans? This can be regarding their knowledge, commitment, behaviour etc.?

The questionnaire can be completed here: https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/durham/femalefans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think the majority of woman could talk about hours about football but its not to say there aren't a few who do but I am not sure whether some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds. Football is traditionally a male sport which is watched and played by men, that dosent mean that woman cant get involved it, it means that football as a sport is marketed to men not woman.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 pm

I must say I have no issues with female fans, why would I? I also have absolutely and utterly no interest in women's football. I refereed one match a few years ago. That was the longest 80 minutes of my entire life. I kid you not. The BBC can push it all they like but in truth, the standard is shocking.

Having said that, I know a bloke who refereed the under 23 international between Sweden and Norway. He was smiling for 3 weeks afterwards.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
thestudent wrote:I am a University student currently in the process of writing my dissertation and I am looking at the attitudes towards female football fans. There is limited research on female football fans therefore I want to find out more about the attitudes that both males and females have towards them. The following link is an example of how people may perceive female football fans and I want to gather data to find out if this is representative of the majority of the thoughts of both male and female fans: http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/17/do-you-kn ... t-4233869/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have posted a question below that will ideally facilitate a discussion between fans. From this, I can evaluate themes and issues for my discussion in my dissertation. Moreover, I have attached a link to a questionnaire below and I would be grateful if you could complete this in addition to participating in a discussion on this thread.

For ethical reasons, I will ensure that anyone that chooses to participate in this discussion will remain anonymous through the use of false names in my write up. Therefore, by posting on this thread you are giving me your consent for your comments to be used in my dissertation. The comments are solely for academic studies and will be used in this dissertation only. This also applies to the questionnaire; your identity remains anonymous. If however you would like to participate further in this project, there is an opportunity to leave your email address at the bottom of the questionnaire.

This may be a sensitive topic for some people so do not participate if you feel there may be some discomfort. However for those of you that do comment, be honest with your answers as every response will contribute to the results of my study and the more truthful insight I receive, the better.

Thank you in advance.

Are female fans different to male fans? This can be regarding their knowledge, commitment, behaviour etc.?

The questionnaire can be completed here: https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/durham/femalefans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think the majority of woman could talk about hours about football but its not to say there aren't a few who do but I am not sure whether some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds. Football is traditionally a male sport which is watched and played by men, that dosent mean that woman cant get involved it, it means that football as a sport is marketed to men not woman.
Dan, do stop talking complete bollocks! :roll:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, I do try and be patient with him but sometimes he doesn't half come out with some utter rubbish.

I mean - what? :conf:
some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:50 pm

You've actually made me laugh there GG. Well played.

But seriously. #banwomenfromfootball
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote: :lol:
Sorry, I do try and be patient with him but sometimes he doesn't half come out with some utter rubbish.

some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds.
[/quote]

What are you apologising for G.G.? I had two cousins who played womens' football in an organised league when I was ten years old (and that's a hell of a long time ago) Is football ready for Dan? is a more relevant question... :wink:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 pm

boltonboris wrote: But seriously. #banwomenfromfootball
This seems unduly harsh on men.

Why are women excused from watching that sh1te, but we have to?

#banfootballforeveryone
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:00 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote: I am not sure whether some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds.
A curious line, Dan. In what ways?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote: I am not sure whether some football grounds are ready for female fans just as I don't think some female football fans are ready for football grounds.
Look, it's obvious. It's like survival of the fittest whereby each species is derived from those that best match their own environment, what Dan's pointing out here is that female fans would thrive much better in a shopping environment, one whereby malls or heated roofed market areas are supplied instead of stadia.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Have to put this in here as it's related. Dick Kerr's Ladies Football Team was in action at the time of World War I and onwards.. I had two cousins, the Gordon twins, who played for the team around 1948 onwards when it was based in Preston. Some of it's quite funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAs6PaFDtf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Have to put this in here as it's related. Dick Kerr's Ladies Football Team was in action at the time of World War I and onwards.. I had two cousins, the Gordon twins, who played for the team around 1948 onwards when it was based in Preston. Some of it's quite funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAs6PaFDtf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imagine having a ladies football team called Dick Kerr, nowadays. You'd never getaway with it.

Fnarr.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Dick Kerr's Ladies Football Team

Ferrr-fecking-narrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

What are you apologising for G.G.? I had two cousins who played womens' football in an organised league when I was ten years old (and that's a hell of a long time ago) Is football ready for Dan? is a more relevant question... :wink:[/quote]

Im not sure I would like to think if football is ready for Fat Frank then it is ready for me. In answer to what Bruce said I probably would not be inclined to take a child or a woman for that matter to Millwall vs. West Ham or to Besiktas vs. Bolton(Mind you my dad took me to that one and I was only like 10). In the same way I don't think GG would be to excited about going to Gillingham vs Charlton or Rochdale vs Oldham when she could watch Arsenal vs Spuds or Utd vs Citeh. I also know that most woman don't like cold grim football grounds with terracing when compared to padded seating at Arsenal.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:37 pm

I rarely see female fans frothing at the mouth at the defence knocking the ball about or booing after 10 minutes so I'm all for 'em
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:35 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

What are you apologising for G.G.? I had two cousins who played womens' football in an organised league when I was ten years old (and that's a hell of a long time ago) Is football ready for Dan? is a more relevant question... :wink:
Im not sure I would like to think if football is ready for Fat Frank then it is ready for me. In answer to what Bruce said I probably would not be inclined to take a child or a woman for that matter to Millwall vs. West Ham or to Besiktas vs. Bolton(Mind you my dad took me to that one and I was only like 10). In the same way I don't think GG would be to excited about going to Gillingham vs Charlton or Rochdale vs Oldham when she could watch Arsenal vs Spuds or Utd vs Citeh. I also know that most woman don't like cold grim football grounds with terracing when compared to padded seating at Arsenal.[/quote]

To paraphrase GG - do stop talking shite. There's plenty of women, my missus being one of them, watching the turgid shite served up at the 'Bok this season.

Women can enjoy football just as much as men. And it doesn't have to be about the cute boys in shorts either - they, as much as we, enjoy the sport. The only thing stopping more women watching it is gender stereotyping from a young age.

So there.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Yeah plenty Dorrises watch and enjoy football properly. No problems there. They can't fecking play it though. Fecks me off when the top news story on the BBC is the women's FA Cup drawer and then underneath they happen to mention United sign Mata for £40m.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:Fecks me off when the top news story on the BBC is the women's FA Cup drawer and then underneath they happen to mention United sign Mata for £40m.
Or the knicker drawer, to give it its correct title.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Fecks me off when the top news story on the BBC is the women's FA Cup drawer and then underneath they happen to mention United sign Mata for £40m.
Or the knicker drawer, to give it its correct title.
:lol: (I was sitting there desperate to come up with something similar, and failed miserably :P ).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください