Would you...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Would you...

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:05 pm

The fact that managers/players/fans/owners/media etc etc think it is more important to finish 17th than win the cup, or to finish 4th is more important than anything else, other than finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd, tells me that football is broken. Football isn't about football, it is about money. If the Premiership and Champions League disappeared, the world and football in particular would be a much better place.

I couldn't give a toss is we get back in the Premiership again. All I want is for us to compete at whatever level we're at. We stopped doing that roughly around the time Sam left.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If you say would you swap one FA Cup win in exchange for spending the following 25 years in the lower leagues. I think a lot would, but then wouldn't bother turning up for the resulting 25 years.....
You say that as though it is a bad thing - surely not turning up is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in today's "unchangeable" money-dominated football world?

The owners don't owe the fans anything, the fans don't owe the club anything...
That wasn't the point, I expect and hope to be watching for the next *however many years I'm on this earth for* and would prefer that to be as successful a time for the club as possible. I've watched us in every league and I'd do so again.

I don't subscribe to the theory that win a cup and nowt else matters after that. It is hard to articulate on here without sounding crass.

Do I want the FA cup to mean what it did in 4 or 5 decades ago? Absolutely.

But it doesn't and therefore I want Bolton to be successful in the actual world that exists not some imaginary dreamworld I'd prefer things to be like. Of course I'd love and FA cup win or any cup win. But I don't subscribe to the theory that is in the current football world the be all and end all.

We've had a tremendous period of success, something arguably unparalleled at this football club. 11 successive top flight seasons, European football for 2 years, draws at Bayern Munich etc. It was fantastic. I'm not happy with where we are now, but I kind of accept that football has its ups and downs.

I guess this whole argument cuts both ways. Our crowds have declined massively since our successful days in the premiership. So seemingly we have thousands who will not bother turning up when the club isn't successful. So one might argue they are acting like customers and not fans.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The fact that managers/players/fans/owners/media etc etc think it is more important to finish 17th than win the cup, or to finish 4th is more important than anything else, other than finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd, tells me that football is broken. Football isn't about football, it is about money. If the Premiership and Champions League disappeared, the world and football in particular would be a much better place.

I couldn't give a toss is we get back in the Premiership again. All I want is for us to compete at whatever level we're at. We stopped doing that roughly around the time Sam left.
No. We stopped doing that on April 17, 2011

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm

William the White wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:The fact that managers/players/fans/owners/media etc etc think it is more important to finish 17th than win the cup, or to finish 4th is more important than anything else, other than finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd, tells me that football is broken. Football isn't about football, it is about money. If the Premiership and Champions League disappeared, the world and football in particular would be a much better place.

No. We stopped doing that on April 17, 2011
I'd go with that. Megson had us competing at least. We beat Man UTD at home for the first time in decades. We got a draw at Bayern, became the first British team to win at Red Star Belgrade, beat Spurs and Citeh etc....

Coyle had us competing for that season before Holden's injury, we were 8th I think.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

If that post isn't to sound as lop sided as it does, we were up at about 5th, and a game away from finishing 8th. But that's by the by.

Football being fickle and robbing us of such a talent as Holden is nothing new. The punishment for such a fine margin is now a chasm. It's crazy, if you're not a fan of one of the massive clubs. Which increasingly more people are. And more money heads more in one direction. And I think it started long before Big Sam left us.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If that post isn't to sound as lop sided as it does, we were up at about 5th, and a game away from finishing 8th. But that's by the by.

Football being fickle and robbing us of such a talent as Holden is nothing new. The punishment for such a fine margin is now a chasm. It's crazy, if you're not a fan of one of the massive clubs. Which increasingly more people are. And more money heads more in one direction. And I think it started long before Big Sam left us.
Just checked, we were 7th when Holden got injured. 8 points off 5th place Spurs.

There was clearly more to the decline than Holden being injured. But it definitely seems to symbolise the start if if, or the semi final, depending how you look at it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Hoboh wrote:Let a pillock like this run a football club or any other business?
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/111 ... ?ref=var_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems it's right what they say about Gartside, he wants the limelight!

Dick!!!
just pretend its that trope of 'the daily mail making shit up' . then retweet this to your followers.

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/club ... 06612.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 pm

This is odd.

Reporter reported the court. So either reporter spiced it up a bit or gartside is undermining what he said in court? Idk. Too tired for this.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 pm

boltonboris wrote:I seem to remember you saying it about Portsmouth and possibly wigan.. I seem to remmeber thinking it was absolute bollocks.They way they've gotten behind the club is fantastic and Pompey's attendances are as high, if not higher than in their last premier league season..

They're in the history books and they're enjoying their football.
Wolves are another case in point. Heard the argument that we can't change manager because we might do a Wolves. Well they got relegated, then appointed a decent manager and have won the league. Whose fans have enjoyed this season more? Obviously we'd rather not go down but I'd rather take that risk than continue with mediocrity.
Portsmouth will come back up the leagues, and the fans that stuck by them will love it all the more for the bad times and deserve it. (That's even if you forget the FA Cup win)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Haha, bolton news and bwfc falling out!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Haha, bolton news and bwfc falling out!
I imagine PG thinks they should only report his side of it, the dick.
If they got a detail wrong and corrected it, big deal. In the context of how PG is making the club look it 's nothing.
I hope they do fall out, we might get some ore objective reporting.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
If they got a detail wrong and corrected it, big deal. In the context of how PG is making the club look it 's nothing.
They've been at arms length for a while now as far as i'm led to believe.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Mar wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
They've been at arms length for a while now as far as i'm led to believe.
The B[M]N have issued a clarification.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _/?ref=mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth noting that "We must stress that there was no suggestion made to the court that the club itself was involved in any such improper activity or that there was anything improper about the club’s recruitment of a new manager. "

So anything Graeme Souness said after being interviewed by Curtis should be ignored.

Looking back, I wonder how Souness would have done here. Oh well.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 pm

This is all getting very Leeds United...elusive owner, dodgy chairman, feud with local paper (which i think is generally a producer of tosh for the record)

Except we dont have 20,000 diehards/idiots willing to bail us out. :-/

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:21 am

+1. While on such note I went to see my local non league (step 5) team paly last night and thoroughly enjoyed it especially given the players get about £30 a game and all went to local schools and live in he local area etc.
Last edited by bwfcdan94 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:11 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:

+1. While on such note I went to see my local non league (step 5) team paly last night and thoroughly enjoyed it especially given the players get about £30 a game and all went to local schools and live in he local area etc. They play out of the love for football, when did we lose that at the top level?

Jimmy Hill. The bastard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:

+1. While on such note I went to see my local non league (step 5) team paly last night and thoroughly enjoyed it especially given the players get about £30 a game and all went to local schools and live in he local area etc. They play out of the love for football, when did we lose that at the top level?

Jimmy Hill. The bastard.
Bastard needs chinning.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:05 pm

Why am I getting decked?
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:56 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Why am I getting decked?
So you can attract rats? :conf:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:00 pm

bwfcdan94 wrote:Why am I getting decked?