Contracts: the summer juggle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who should we get back next season?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 am

Adam Le Fondre
10%
Adam Bogdan
6%
Andy Lonergan
6%
Matt Mills
5%
Luke Woodland
2%
Darren Pratley
10%
Chris Lester
1%
Craig Davies
8%
Eidur Gudjohnsen
10%
Emile Heskey
4%
Georg Iliev
2%
Ben Amos
7%
Kevin McNaughton
2%
Paddy McCarthy
3%
Simeon Slavchev
1%
Jordan Lussey
3%
Giles Coke
1%
Barry Bannan
9%
Saidy Janko
6%
Rochinha
6%

Total votes: 519

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Contracts: the summer juggle

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:14 am

bobo the clown wrote:What happened to Oscar Threlkeld ? 12 months ago he sort of threatened to break through.... & there was another similarly who I can't recall.
Riley? Kellett?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 am

Threlkeld seems to have fallen off the radar. Hopefully he isn't going to be following Riley.

I think I've said it a few times before, but I hope Kellett will challenge for that left back position next season. Then we can chuck Ream on the right and put Vela in the midfield.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:56 am

Vertigo wrote:Threlkeld seems to have fallen off the radar. Hopefully he isn't going to be following Riley.

I think I've said it a few times before, but I hope Kellett will challenge for that left back position next season. Then we can chuck Ream on the right and put Vela in the midfield.
Is this a wind up???

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:04 am

You'd rather keep Vela there? Can we afford another? Wouldn't money be better spent at CB? :conf:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:09 am

I think some of the criticism of Feeney and Danns is very harsh. They've played a lot under Lennon, and got through some serious work. Hardly surprising that they've had a dip in form. Neither is the most talented, but they've got the right attitude. Feeney has proved to be a lot more versatile than I though him capable of.
We can't just buy in top class players so we need good honest pros like that while Lennon tries to develop youngsters. If they are first pick next season then we have problems but I'd certainly want to keep them in the squad. I also have a lot more respect for them than talented lazy tossers like Ngog and Petrov.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:27 am

Vertigo wrote:You'd rather keep Vela there? Can we afford another? Wouldn't money be better spent at CB? :conf:
Jesus Christ yes!

Ream has made a passable attempt at being a LB, helped by the contrast with his own woeful attempts at being a CB and Moxey's woeful attempts at being a footballer. And he's got no right foot. And he's still, frankly, a bit shit. I wouldn't be distraught if he was our left back next year but RB? Good lord man!

If rather have a proper RB and Vela in the middle mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:29 am

LeverEnd wrote:I think some of the criticism of Feeney and Danns is very harsh. They've played a lot under Lennon, and got through some serious work. Hardly surprising that they've had a dip in form. Neither is the most talented, but they've got the right attitude. Feeney has proved to be a lot more versatile than I though him capable of.
We can't just buy in top class players so we need good honest pros like that while Lennon tries to develop youngsters. If they are first pick next season then we have problems but I'd certainly want to keep them in the squad. I also have a lot more respect for them than talented lazy tossers like Ngog and Petrov.
Depends what you mean by first pick. If they're our best players, first name in the team sheet, then yeah, we're stuffed. They're both good enough to be in there most weeks provided we've got quality to supplement their hard work. You need some workhorses in this league.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:33 am

Prufrock wrote:
Vertigo wrote:You'd rather keep Vela there? Can we afford another? Wouldn't money be better spent at CB? :conf:
Jesus Christ yes!

Ream has made a passable attempt at being a LB, helped by the contrast with his own woeful attempts at being a CB and Moxey's woeful attempts at being a footballer. And he's got no right foot. And he's still, frankly, a bit shit. I wouldn't be distraught if he was our left back next year but RB? Good lord man!

That's my point. I also forgot Ream was left footed lol.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 am

Well, I'm with you on having a RB and Vela in the middle; not so much on Ream being that proper RB :D!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:22 am

Kellett! Of course! He's got the skills to be a good left wing-back (or left-back) so let's hope his attitude is right. I genuinely hope he kicks on, as he seemed to impress in Plymouth's 3-5-2 - a formation Lennon seems keen on, not least to have two up top.

Threlkeld is another who might get one more year to prove himself worthy of a professional career, either for us or a lower-league club (with a sell-on clause in case he comes good). I can't find anything conclusive about either his or Kellett's contract status, but they're getting to an age where they start counting as "over-age" for the Development (reserves) squad.

You're allowed three over-age outfielders in your Development XI; the rest, according to Rule 2.2, "must be under the age of 21 as at 1 January in the year in which the Season concerned commences" – for season 2015/16 that's a birthday of 1 Jan 1994 or later. So that would include:

Max Clayton 9 Aug 94
Georg Iliev 23 Oct 94
Chris Lester 27 Oct 94
Jordan Lussey 2 Nov 94
Oscar Threlkeld 20 Dec 94

(The following have two more seasons before they're over-age:
Kaiyne Woolery 11 Jan 95
Conor Wilkinson 23 Jan 95
Zach Clough 8 Mar 95
Hayden White 15 Apr 95
Rochinha 3 May 1995
Luke Woodland 21 Jul 95
Niall Maher 31 Jul 95
Saidy Janko 22 Oct 95
Tom Walker 12 Dec 95)

But not...

Josh Vela 14 Dec 93
Quade Taylor 11 Dec 93
Andy Kellett 10 Nov 93
Rob Hall 20 Oct 93
Simeon Slavchev 25 Sep 93
Sanmi Odelusi 11 Jun 93
Filip Twardzik 10 Feb 93
Tom Eaves 14 Jan 92

So for these latter bunch of players it's really time to step up to the first team, somewhere or other: they're in the footballing equivalent of being held back a year at school. Vela's made the grade; Kellett, Hall, Eaves and Odelusi should make it in the Football League somewhere (and hopefully, if it's not in our team, make us some clause money). Slavchev will go back, Quade Taylor will be worried, Twardzik needs to prove why he's the only new player Lennon has given a long-term contract...
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:26 am

Tom Eaves has been here for 5 years with no real hint of ever becoming good enough for us. I know there' a danger of him becoming a late bloomer - but how much longer can we persevere with him?

Shame we're all so willing to give a cold goodbye to our longest serving player in favour of a journeyman Championship-level keeper/potential future star from THEM.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:42 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:Tom Eaves has been here for 5 years with no real hint of ever becoming good enough for us. I know there' a danger of him becoming a late bloomer - but how much longer can we persevere with him?

Shame we're all so willing to give a cold goodbye to our longest serving player in favour of a journeyman Championship-level keeper/potential future star from THEM.
I'm surprised Eaves has such a long contract, but there you go: Coyle gave him a three-year contract in Aug 2010, and Freedman extended it for three years in Jan 2013. He's likely to stay on loan until a sale deal can be reached, but likesay, it should have sell-on clauses In Case Of David Norris.

As for Bogdan, as I've said elsewhere I have nothing against him but it all depends on wages, and I suspect he's on more than Lonergan or Amos. Lennon's making positive noises - “I want him here, I think he’s an outstanding goalkeeper. I’m going to do everything in my power to have him here next season. He’s played three times for me and we’ve kept three clean sheets, and that’s no coincidence” – but how much of the already-reduced, still-needs-whittling wage budget would you spend on him? Would you rather sign him than get a new centre-back? New full-backs? A back-up goalkeeper who isn't in his teens? A new contract for Eidur? The wages of Le Fondre?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:16 am

Depends on our ambition. Re-signing Boggers, reduced terms or not, is a huge statement of intent in our current financial situation. Then again, I suppose so was re-signing Knight, Ricketts et al when we went down and look how that turned out. Who knows. I'd be sad to see Bogdan go but I'm pleased Lennon has publicly said he wants him. He's the best keeper on our books.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:38 am

Make no mistake, I'd be happy to see him re-sign if the terms are right, although we'll never be completely sure of that. I like the bloke, I may well agree that he's the best keeper we currently own, but I don't think he's worth (say) twice the wage of Lonergan – and I don't think his potential resale value is nearly as high as Amos. Hard-nosed financial pragmatism maybe, but we're in an ever-deepening financial hole - and a competitive division that demands we rebuild a mediocre squad.

As for making a statement, you're right. If we pay him say £25kpw, it will tell Matt Mills that he should stay on that too, and Vela that he's worth a pay rise, etc etc...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I think some of the criticism of Feeney and Danns is very harsh. They've played a lot under Lennon, and got through some serious work. Hardly surprising that they've had a dip in form. Neither is the most talented, but they've got the right attitude. Feeney has proved to be a lot more versatile than I though him capable of.
Depends what you mean by first pick. If they're our best players, first name in the team sheet, then yeah, we're stuffed. They're both good enough to be in there most weeks provided we've got quality to supplement their hard work. You need some workhorses in this league.
Yes that's what I mean. We were doing very well with them in before Christmas until the balance of the side was upset by injuries. Feeney scored twice in the home win against Cardiff for example.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Jesus Christ yes!

Exactly what I would have said if work hadn't got in the way :(

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Ignoring the ones I haven't see play...

Keepers-wise, I disagree with Lennon. Bogdan is patently not an outstanding goalkeeper. I really don't think there's much between the three of them, and so negotiation-wise I think we're in an ok position. He who is cheapest gets the shirt. My money is on Lonners. There are always good goalkeepers not getting a game somewhere, for us to pay £25k to one is madness.

In defence, Mills has let us down too many times and needs to be on his way. McNaughton clearly isn't rated. McCarthy is a maybe. I'd have a look round to see what else is out there, but he's a decent enough sort to have around. Probably don't need him if we're signing this Kuipers lad.

Midfielders... Coke and Slavchev have clearly got no chance of being here. I'd be happy with Bannan. At 19 I think Janko is very much worth taking on, and I think it's already been said by NL that Rochinha has a good chance of being back on loan too. Whether we've any hope of ever signing him permanently I've no idea, but him, Janko, Mavies, Walker, Clayton and Clough will make us a good side to watch if nothing else. I'm going to say yes to Pratley as well, although I do wonder if I'd feel the same way if I knew how much money we were paying him.

Upfront we've not a prayer of signing ALF and I'm not convinced he's right for us in any case. Eidur is a definite. Craig Davies isn't really good enough, but is probably worth his wage. Emile can leave with his head held high, but probably doesn't have much more to offer.

So there. Lonners, Bannan, Janko, Rochinha, Pratters, Eidur and Davies. Of the contracted lot, anybody over the age of 24 not named Mark Davies or Neil Danns can go for me.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Keepers I would presume Lonergan and Amos would likely be our go to signings. Can imagine if Amos stays at Utd that we'll look elsewhere than Bogdan as wages have presumably been a long term stumbling block. Lonergan has stepped up to the mark on more than a couple of occasions so it looks like he'd be staying.

The midfield is a bit of a minefield with the sheer numbers we have floating around. Wouldn't like to guess on this count but large changes are likely to take place. I'd imagine loan signings like Coke are simply just extended trail periods so we'll see whether there is any negotiations there.

Strikers. I'd like to see Gudjohnsen back. Heskey is good as cover but I wouldn't expect to see him here next season as I would imagine we'll have Clough, Clayton, C.Davies and another back. If Heskey stays on I would imagine it'll be another short term deal for a few months with wiggle room for future appearances but a fresh side really should be looking to the future. Gudjohnsen offers something similar and is definitely good for a sub appearance or two going forward.

Not fussed regarding Bannan. I'd imagine relative Premier League wages could be better spent elsewhere despite him playing relatively well for us.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Surely the old boys up top aren't on much? Lennon was complaining about having nowt spend at the same time they came in. Keep both on that assumption. Both offer something, Eidur more. 6 goals now isn't it? You're all welcome. Genuinely claiming credit for that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:42 pm

And the almost forgotten man, Stuart Holden? No longer under contract to us but still hoping to come back here.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?