What sort of football club can the town of Bolton support?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: What sort of football club can the town of Bolton suppor

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:50 pm

What is this CAMRA

Are we really at the point where a pint of Nurdlingtons Fagwangler and and a Mrs Blumenthals exploding pie is the peak of the match day experience and the master plan for getting more bodies on..
Have we given up on the football to such an extent that we're only going to turn up for had cooked Brannigans crisps and Cordon Bleu Burgers.
I'm obviously out of step but I've only ever given a shit about the footie, a decent read of the programme and only consider a beverage usually hot and biege of indeterminately genre when it assists in stopping me freezing me bollacks off.

If the footie is feckin mince who gives a feck about the pie filling.
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 pm

norm the jedi wrote:What is this CAMRA

Are we really at the point where a pint of Nurdlingtons Fagwangler and and a Mrs Blumenthals exploding pie is the peak of the match day experience and the master plan for getting more bodies on..
Have we given up on the football to such an extent that we're only going to turn up for had cooked Brannigans crisps and Cordon Bleu Burgers.
I'm obviously out of step but I've only ever given a shit about the footie, a decent read of the programme and only consider a beverage usually hot and biege of indeterminately genre when it assists in stopping me freezing me bollacks off.

It's fairly simple to serve edible pies and beer that doesn't taste of piss, so why would you not? The more ways to get punters to hand over cash can only be a good thing surely?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:00 pm

No, but if they're on offer at sky high prices then what;s wrong with asking for quality? And you buy programmes FFS :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

It's fairly simple to serve edible pies and beer that doesn't taste of piss, so why would you not? The more ways to get punters to hand over cash can only be a good thing surely?
one imagines their sales figures currently sustain the belief that 1000's of daft sods consider them neither inedible or undrinkable [running out of pies suggests that at least]
I just doubt there are three people who wouldn't watch a decent team with shit pies. I even doubt there are three people who will stop watching a shit team because of the pies..
The Product is the footie.. we go to the match .. well I do - Value added match day experience ? Advertorial shinny suited, Charlotte street, coke inflected, bollocks. imv.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Running out is most likely not ordering enough rather than some genius plan. Fact is, by offering better stuff you stand a good chance of selling more. You might not get more bodies through turnstiles, but maximising the spend of those that do is what successful businesses do.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

No, but if they're on offer at sky high prices then what;s wrong with asking for quality? And you buy programmes FFS :lol:
Nowt but it seems to be being suggested that the difference between 13000 and 20,000 is quality ales and better class of pie crust.
I go a maximum of 5 times a year if I didn't buy a programme I have no chance of recognising half the team :-) and it's what I've always done. Value don't enter into it..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:18 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

one imagines their sales figures currently sustain the belief that 1000's of daft sods consider them neither inedible or undrinkable [running out of pies suggests that at least]
I just doubt there are three people who wouldn't watch a decent team with shit pies. I even doubt there are three people who will stop watching a shit team because of the pies..
The Product is the footie.. we go to the match .. well I do - Value added match day experience ? Advertorial shinny suited, Charlotte street, coke inflected, bollocks. imv.
But you still buy programmes?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:20 pm

The programme is shockingly bad. I'd sooner see some fanzines sold outside the ground.

No one is suggesting that quality ale's alone will suddenly see attendances surge, but it'd be a symbolic gesture and a step in the right direction. The fact is, the club needs to do more to improve the experience for all and not just kids and families. More connection with fans who are feeling alienated by ticket prices, shite football, and shite products in and around the ground is needed imo.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:33 pm

I'd personally rather read a shit programme than eat a shit pie just a crazy individual I guess...
Bottom line is I don't care about anything other than the 95 minutes in front of me on the pitch.
I couldn't even tell you what's on offer. I can get all the overpriced, nutritionally questionable, overprocessed shite on the retail park or at any of 9 service stations on the way home.
I just go to a football ground for the football....
I have clearly lost it...

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Fleetwood town serve Peroni for the more discerning palate! Plus chips and gravy are on offer too!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 pm

If you've been attending regularly, then you'd know that a decent beer before/after the match is indeed the highlight of the matchday experience...if they could just sort out "during" it'd be a whole heap better....

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:If you've been attending regularly, then you'd know that a decent beer before/after the match is indeed the highlight of the matchday experience...if they could just sort out "during" it'd be a whole heap better....
:D

I've not been doing due to geography and the National hunt / Point to Point season.
I suspect nowt , short of already having purchased a season ticket, would entice me in at the minute.
Not even the prospect of a pint of Albert Futtocks Old Peculiar wazzock wobbler.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:41 am

Old Peculiar, yes please!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 am

norm the jedi wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:If you've been attending regularly, then you'd know that a decent beer before/after the match is indeed the highlight of the matchday experience...if they could just sort out "during" it'd be a whole heap better....

I've not been doing due to geography and the National hunt / Point to Point season.
I suspect nowt , short of already having purchased a season ticket, would entice me in at the minute.
Not even the prospect of a pint of Albert Futtocks Old Peculiar wazzock wobbler.
I have a season ticket, and to be honest, mate, I still go under duress. :hang:

I vote that they serve Jennings Snecklifter - then I'd go on the bus and get utterly fecking arseholed! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I have a season ticket, and to be honest, mate, I still go under duress. :hang:
Just remembered that a while ago, I wrote on here that going watching Bolton had become like a bored child forced to visit an elderly relative.

To quote Wilfred Owen, "Is it that we are dying?"

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:

I vote that they serve Jennings Snecklifter - then I'd go on the bus and get utterly fecking arseholed! :D
I feel your pain, I'd treat yerself to a programme if I were you :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:49 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I have a season ticket, and to be honest, mate, I still go under duress. :hang:
Just remembered that a while ago, I wrote on here that going watching Bolton had become like a bored child forced to visit an elderly relative.

Absolutely nailed it. And yes, it seems we are. :(

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Or a kid being dragged to church in order to praise something he didn't really believe in and sing along just because?
*Yes, that was me - except for the singing. My voice is akin to the Obscene Publications Act so I kept quiet*.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:42 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
norm the jedi wrote:

Had a pint of Bowland Ale Pheasant Plucker at the Fleece in Dophinholme today. Just the ticket. COYWM
Last edited by Gudnib on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.