Phil Gartside

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Phil Gartside

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 pm

twilight wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Nice to see clubs like Nerwcastle United and Birmingham City posting tributes.

And Wolves .....
Yeah well, steady. There ARE limits.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ever_more/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More details of the ED phone conversation on SSN from the Bolton News

stoke fan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by stoke fan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear the news this evening. Mr Gartside was a true football man, always had complete integrity and loved his/your club with a passion.

My thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends this evening.

And the best of luck to BWFC for the rest of this difficult season
Ben

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Thanks Stokie.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Nice one, Ben.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47 pm

RIP Phil. In charge during period of time that turned me into a supporter. Very grateful for that.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:30 pm

many thanks, Ben

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 pm

stoke fan wrote:Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear the news this evening. Mr Gartside was a true football man, always had complete integrity and loved his/your club with a passion.

My thoughts and sympathies are with his family and friends this evening.

And the best of luck to BWFC for the rest of this difficult season
Ben
Nice gesture. Thank you.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:38 pm

Tributes coming in from all directions including Chelsea, Blackburn and a host of individuals, ex-players and friends.
Unfortunately, a couple of real obnoxos in need of having their ears boxied are on the comments site of B.N.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:01 am

Very sad news. RIP!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:49 am

R.I.P. Phil. Thanks for taking us places we could only dream of... Big name players...European Leagues... Top 8 finishes in the Premiere League. Towards the end some supporters made you out to be a terrible person. Never knew who you were personally, but based on tributes from persons who did, your were a good man that did all you could for your club. This is a sad day for the Bolton Family.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:07 am

Eddie Davies here https://soundcloud.com/riccoles/eddie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote: Unfortunately, a couple of real obnoxos in need of having their ears boxied are on the comments site of B.N.
Something I tend to avoid. Your comments come as no surprise whatsoever, Tango. The BEN comments section is nothing other than a magnet to wankers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:28 am

Add my condolences too .

He was instrumental in creating the best 10 of my 50+ years as a wanderer.

He made thousands of people very happy for a long time- which is more than most of us can do in a lifetime.

RIP Phil
What goes around may still come around

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:30 am

In the pre-match press conference, Neil Lennon spoke at length about the chairman who brought him to Bolton. (Quotes per @OfficialBWFC.)
It's a hugely sad day for the club. I was very close to Phil. We knew for a while that he was gravely ill but it's still a shock.

It's devastating. He's been such a huge figure here for a long time and has presided over some fantastic moments at the club.

His heart and soul were here and I don't think any other individual has put as much into the club as what Phil has done. He lived and breathed the club and took an enormous amount of pleasure in the younger players coming through.

He was very good to me and my family. The way his family have conducted themselves is amazing and our condolences go out to them.

I would like to think the players can make a stand for Phil now and do something positive in his memory. That is to survive. Hopefully through all of the bad times, something good can now come out of it to drive the club forward.

Look around the place. It is a very different place to when Phil first walked through the doors. He has made a massive contribution to the club and we should all be very grateful for what he put in and achieved here.

He was an attraction for me. It is traditional bread and butter football here. He was a real football man. I will miss him terribly. We had a great relationship. He hasn't been around for a couple months and there has been a big hole here.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:58 am

Thought we might have seen a comment from Mr Allardyce.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:00 am

Met PG on a few occasions. He was always willing to talk about the club (as long as approached in the right way) and what was going on. He was a genuine fan and whilst some might think otherwise he genuinely knew where fans were coming from with criticism. He got it. He just sometimes had to act in a different way to do the job asked of him. For example in Belgrade he was laughing with fans about how unpopular Megson was. He knew it, but also said his discipline and work ethic were what the team needed.

I maintain that there were few if any premiership chairman who would reply to emails from random fans, or stand and chat to them over a beer or in his office in the way Phil did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Unfortunately, a couple of real obnoxos in need of having their ears boxied are on the comments site of B.N.
Something I tend to avoid. Your comments come as no surprise whatsoever, Tango. The BEN comments section is nothing other than a magnet to wankers.
I agree, you're right, and normally I read only anything on relevant topics, the Palais, dance etc....it just annoyed me that some idiots can be so insensitive as to put derogatory remarks on what is basically an obituary thread.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I agree, you're right, and normally I read only anything on relevant topics, the Palais, dance etc....it just annoyed me that some idiots can be so insensitive as to put derogatory remarks on what is basically an obituary thread.
There are a little group of about half a dozen on the BN website that run under many different disguises and spend most of their time trolling each other and trading insults. Many of the posts are deliberately inflammatory and the level of modding? poor to say the least, they even found a way to doctor the thumbs up, thumbs down on their posts.
There are genuine people on there but they are drowned out by the lunatics, best avoided if you suffer hypertension.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Juewanderer wrote:Eddie Davies here https://soundcloud.com/riccoles/eddie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks, Jue