MK Dons (H) 10/09/16 3pm - Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: MK Dons (H) 10/09/16 3pm - Match Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:Man forgot about Keshi din't he
Yep. So go on...

Me, I'd be slightly surprised if Keshi played a solo role up top, so I'd expect Proctor in for Madine. That could mean a 4-2-3-1 with Keshi central playing off Proctor - forward flick-ons as well as backward knock-downs. That could put Henry on the right and AN Other left – probably hardworking trustworthy Chris Taylor to start, Ameobi later if necessary (although he might replace Henry if the Wolves man tires beyond Parky's high bar of fitness). That gives us two crossing wingers aiming for Prcotor's head. It also means two in the middle, which would be Spearing and Vela – the latter playing a slightly more cautious role than he has been, considering we've got four ahead of him.

If Parky wants to retain the midfield diamond – and it is an if: it's worked well, but I think it may have been partly a reaction to our lack of wingers, a problem now solved – then the only real option is to replace Trotter with Tom Thorpe, or play Thorpe at the back and push Spearing forward out of the scampering role he's excelled in.

Given the options, the opposition, the personnel and the fact we're at home to a team who'd probably take a draw now if offered, I'd go for the first option. I don't think we'll necessarily play 4-2-3-1 from now till May but it's another option to have in the locker and it's a better way to stretch packed defences than a centralised diamond trying to play through the very areas in which the opposition are massing. If I have a slight quibble about this season, it's that our threat from set-pieces – as welcome and lovely as that is – might be hiding a slight underdelivery from open play. We now have the players to solve that, even more so when Clough and Clayton return, so I;d like to see us try a different shape.

You, Boz?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Man forgot about Keshi din't he
Yep. So go on...

Me, I'd be slightly surprised if Keshi played a solo role up top, so I'd expect Proctor in for Madine. That could mean a 4-2-3-1 with Keshi central playing off Proctor - forward flick-ons as well as backward knock-downs. That could put Henry on the right and AN Other left – probably hardworking trustworthy Chris Taylor to start, Ameobi later if necessary (although he might replace Henry if the Wolves man tires beyond Parky's high bar of fitness). That gives us two crossing wingers aiming for Prcotor's head. It also means two in the middle, which would be Spearing and Vela – the latter playing a slightly more cautious role than he has been, considering we've got four ahead of him.

If Parky wants to retain the midfield diamond – and it is an if: it's worked well, but I think it may have been partly a reaction to our lack of wingers, a problem now solved – then the only real option is to replace Trotter with Tom Thorpe, or play Thorpe at the back and push Spearing forward out of the scampering role he's excelled in.

Given the options, the opposition, the personnel and the fact we're at home to a team who'd probably take a draw now if offered, I'd go for the first option. I don't think we'll necessarily play 4-2-3-1 from now till May but it's another option to have in the locker and it's a better way to stretch packed defences than a centralised diamond trying to play through the very areas in which the opposition are massing. If I have a slight quibble about this season, it's that our threat from set-pieces – as welcome and lovely as that is – might be hiding a slight underdelivery from open play. We now have the players to solve that, even more so when Clough and Clayton return, so I;d like to see us try a different shape.

You, Boz?
I don't think we'll be able to predict what Parky will do from one game to the next. Nice to have options, eh?!

Personnel wise, 4-2-3-1 seems the obvious choice, but he's by nature a cautious(ish) manager. I think he'll be aware that Dons have some pretty tidy footballers who can play through the middle, so could well go for the diamond of Vela, Spearing, Taylor, Henry and go a little more direct. The 2 strikers we'll be playing under that system look like willing runners of the channels, so it could work nicely.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:39 pm

If we're a bit short in midfield. Just go 4-2-4. Worked fine for Owen Coyle. Jeesh.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:06 pm

thebish wrote:parky just won league 1 manager of the month!
bloody pub manager! :D
Who on earth designs those trophies?....Bet it stops in the dressing room rather than Parky's living room.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 am

We'll shit 'em.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

Tough game this one.

I'll take a 1-0 win. Hopefully we'll play as well as we did in the 2nd half against Southend whilst scoring from our chances.

COYWM!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 am

it's great that saturday mornings are no longer filled with an inevitable mood of dread and foreboding! :oyea:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:43 am

thebish wrote:it's great that saturday mornings are no longer filled with an inevitable mood of dread and foreboding! :oyea:

Pfffft.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:54 am

It doesn't feel right at the moment feeling so positive about the games...but it feels great :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:23 am

thebish wrote:it's great that saturday mornings are no longer filled with an inevitable mood of dread and foreboding! :oyea:
When we lose today it is your fault! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:35 pm

In order to remove TKIZ's hex I'll post a Womble stomping reminder..... :oyea:

COME ON YOU WHITES.....3-0... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:12 pm

8) Well what a pleasant day for the game. Sat outside frankie & Bennys having a drink. Lovely. Anybody know the team sheet yet?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm sat in the sunshine in a tiny village square in Moncarapacho, Portugal, with large Sagres and filetes de pescada ordered for lunch, waiting for Radio Tango to launch. COYWM!!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:13 pm

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:14 pm

Taylor in for Moxey and Proctor in for Madine

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:37 pm

For what it's worth....the opposition...
MK Dons: Martin, Baldock, Downing, Walsh, Lewington, Upson, Potter, Bowditch, Reeves, Colcough, Agard.

Subs: Nicholls, Carruthers, George C Williams, George B Williams, Powell, Tshimanga, Maynard.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:39 pm

twilight wrote:8) Well what a pleasant day for the game. Sat outside frankie & Bennys having a drink. Lovely. Anybody know the team sheet yet?
Thanks for ruining my fantasy! I always like to imagine it's pishing it down at home while I'm away. Say hello to my old fella from me :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Well, a wombling we will go then......Mic man telling the tale of the teams....and...off we go..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:05 pm

Mention of the long-ball weapon right off and we have a throw. We reclaim a clearance, sally and....it goes for a goal kick.
And...they sally but lose it to us. Anderson's sally cleared and we start again with a wallop from Howard....Anderson can't quite get us away and...Zico chips in with a comment that the wombles have a corner. And......it comes in and we clear. To and fro for starters....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Ref gives them a free kick that Zico says our lad got the ball. The free kicks sails into nowhere land. Throw us and we go, they clear. And Trotter clears, then Wheater and a throw them again. Bit of an early warning siren but we clear and attack in turn. Some pointless scores then.....Taylor wins us a corner and........Proctor......., :oyea: 1-0....