Out, damned Spotland, I say. Rochdale (A) 27/9/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Out, damned Spotland, I say. Rochdale (A) 27/9/16

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:33 am

Nicko58 wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:If his distribution is as terrible as you say it is, I suspect it's really because of a lack of movement further forward rather than being anything to do with Beevers' ability to pass the ball. If the our midfielders aren't getting into space, who is he supposed to pass to?
Bad distribution is not finding a man who's 10 yards away, not over-hitting a 60 yard ball because there's nothing else on and you've got a striker closing you down.

Our midfield is absolutely static, but what can you do with Trotter and Vela in there?
That is the point I'm trying to make. More often than not there isn't a free man ten yards away, which means there are two options - pass it sideways or go long.

There was one instance late on in the game on Saturday when Spearing came for the ball and so one of our defenders passed it to him. Spearing then looked up from the half way line, moved a yard or two forward to try and find a pass, and then turned round and passed it straight back to where it had come from. He got pelters for it from the crowd, however his body language made it clear that he was frustrated at the lack of options available to him. If Spearing is struggling with that then it's no surprise that Beevers is.
This (BTW, I suspect Andy was agreeing with you). It was one of the things that most annoyed me at Walsall.

It's rarely a good look when your centre-backs are dictating play: it generally means your midfielders are hiding. As noted, most centre-backs aren't as good on the ball as their friends further forward. (I'm a defender myself, lest folk think I'm unfairly maligning.) And to be honest, unless they think they're the new Beckenbauer or they're under specific managerial instruction to spread the play or spring an attack as quickly as possible – and judging by the way it stopped immediately after the Walsall half-time, that would seem not to be the case – most defenders would rather hand over the responsibility to a midfielder: "Here, we've got this ball back for you, now go do your thing."

Spearing has been very good this season at being that deep midfielder, not just a protective defensive barrier but also the start of attacking creativity, somewhere for our defenders/goalkeeper to get beyond the opponents' attackers and start to look for weaknesses. At Walsall, Spearingless, Vela was very diligent at dropping deep for possession, until his HT switch to RB – after which nobody seemed to do it, and the team somewhat lost its shape, although not all of its threat.

Anyway, that's all fine in theory - your deep midfielder (Spearing, Vela, Pirlo, Carrick, whoever) drops to get the ball, turns and looks up and... nothing. The players in front of him either don't want the ball (either through nerves or a lack of confidence in their own ability, which may sometimes be justified) or are marked. Your transition judders to a halt; your midfielder – for want of anything else to do – lays it back to the centre-half, who gives up and wellies it forward.

Passing and creativity is a collective responsibility, and I get the feeling not enough of our players are stepping up. Clough may not be the answer to everything but at least he seems to want the bloody ball.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:40 am

Meanwhile, PP's No.2 Steve Parkin has been telling the BN:
I think it’ll be a case of getting them in and doing a head count. Beevers has had tonsillitis, Wheater has a twinge in his calf and Buxton got a knock on his knee – so those three are a doubt for a start. There have been players sitting on the bench in the last few weeks who have been telling us they are desperate for a chance, so here it is. We will have to go with what we have got fit at Rochdale and cope.with it.
[Zach Clough] trained well with a few the lads who didn’t play Saturday. I don’t think we’ve ever put any pressure on him to get back sooner than we needed him. The key thing was just getting him back to fitness after the two hamstrings he’s had, then the niggles after that before throwing him back in. He trained well last week and has done again today, so I’m sure he’s champing at the bit to get back in. I haven’t seen enough of him since I have been here to make a complete judgement on him but from what I have seen, he’s got the talent and the technique to handle any responsibility we put on his shoulders.
Iles also says “Josh Vela, Liam Trotter and James Henry were given only light training duties yesterday to minimise their risk of injury”.

So pick your team...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:25 pm

#BWFC will be backed by 3,428 supporters at @officiallydale. Reminder that there is NO pay on the day. Do not travel without a ticket.

PRE-MATCH: The @RatcliffeBars, situated at the #CrownOilArena, opens at 5pm. @OfficialBWFC supporters are welcome to join us pre-match #RAFC
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
jetsetwilly wrote:Beevers and Wheater have been good at defending, but in the modern game you have to have at least one of the back 2 who can pass and set up an attack. Beevers seems to think that passes must either be sideways or hit as hard as possible to nobody (or to touch). We won't start to be a threat with these two. Still, with such a great goal record, I'm sure tha fans will flood back to see the champaigne football
This is absolute bollocks. The modern game?

How good at 'playing from the back' are Huth and Morgan? Just as an example. But we are in league one not fecking playing champions league football.

Defenders need to primarily defend and keep goals out. Beevers is our best player. I cannot believe he's playing at this level as I'm sure he could comfortably handle himself in the division above.
Maybe the reason he isn't is linked to his terrible distribution. Morgan and Huth are solid defenders but they can pass to players less than 80 meters away from them (and actually reach them)
If his distribution is as terrible as you say it is, I suspect it's really because of a lack of movement further forward rather than being anything to do with Beevers' ability to pass the ball. If the our midfielders aren't getting into space, who is he supposed to pass to?
Bad distribution is not finding a man who's 10 yards away, not over-hitting a 60 yard ball because there's nothing else on and you've got a striker closing you down.

Our midfield is absolutely static, but what can you do with Trotter and Vela in there?
Fair enough, I agree that this is part of the problem. My bigger gripe was the manager allowing this to happen for 180 minutes now, with poor proctor isolated and totally out of his depths. If you don't have the personnel, then try to change the tactics

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:37 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:#BWFC will be backed by 3,428 supporters at @officiallydale. Reminder that there is NO pay on the day. Do not travel without a ticket.

PRE-MATCH: The @RatcliffeBars, situated at the #CrownOilArena, opens at 5pm. @OfficialBWFC supporters are welcome to join us pre-match #RAFC

Bugger. Cheers mate!!! Always my luck!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Hang on. LE's going to this one isn't he? Dooòoooooooooomed.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 pm

I'll ask this: Since J.J, have we had (Mark Davies and Stuart Holden apart) a mifielder capapble of picking the ball up and running at defenders with a capablity of actually beating them without needing to offload a pass like they'd been handed a lit thunderflash?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Ameobi, Buxton, Beevers and Vela all out. Wilson, Caylor, Thorpe and Anderson start.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:55 pm

BWFC: Howard; Wilson, Wheater, Thorpe, Moxey; C Taylor, Spearing, Trotter, Henry; Proctor, Anderson.

Subs: Alnwick, Vela, Clough, Derik, A Taylor, Ameobi, Perry.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 pm

4-1 Rochdale.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 pm

It doesn't (on the face of it and praying we stay free from further injury) ) look too bad. It needs Proctor to have a good game and having Clough and Ameobi in reserve could be useful.

Oh, er to counteract the Insane pessimism, COME ON YOU WHITES....3-0 us .... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I'd take a nil nil right now
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Plague, famine and pestilence can't help Derik into the XI. Instead he's on the bench alongside Taylor, pleasing Beatles fans.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Plague, famine and pestilence can't help Derik into the XI. Instead he's on the bench alongside Taylor, pleasing Beatles fans.
Very odd that he can't get in at either centre mid or centre half. Before the game on Saturday I was watching the players doing a routine of hitting it into the feet of the coach who laid it off back to them to shoot. Folk near me were groaning at some of the efforts, particularly Ameobis, but Derik brought every pass under control and scored with each shot. Technically, he appears very gifted but I'm not sure PP is a fan.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Plague, famine and pestilence can't help Derik into the XI. Instead he's on the bench alongside Taylor, pleasing Beatles fans.
Very odd that he can't get in at either centre mid or centre half. Before the game on Saturday I was watching the players doing a routine of hitting it into the feet of the coach who laid it off back to them to shoot. Folk near me were groaning at some of the efforts, particularly Ameobis, but Derik brought every pass under control and scored with each shot. Technically, he appears very gifted but I'm not sure PP is a fan.
Think he's not been fit. Parky has said to Iles that he likes Derik though doesn't see him as a centre half, but think he's another they've been trying to toughen up as he kept breaking down pre season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Tower Rado warms up with forty-nine adverts and some dark rumblings about the Sam Allardyce doings. More of that tomorrow, for now...

Rochdale area, a place I once knew quite well but now avoid or hurry on past clutching a cross and a necklace of garlic. Jogging on the spot and micman says.....no, he doesn't, we're having an add for car maintenance. Firework fun advert now and the big hand ticks ominously towards the nine-mark on the clock face. ...tic-tock, tick-tock....and...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:46 pm

News about Bury and a promise to update us every fifteen minutes as the Stone Roses serenade the fans. Zico's dulcet tones are heard as 3600 faithful attendance is announced. And.....a Daler goes down after thirty seconds.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Allardyce sacked.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Wilkinson scores for Chesterfield

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Talk of 4-4-2 formation and a bit of chat then......Howard wallops it forth. And.....an offside causes a few cardiac flutters. Free kick us and....we have a pass or two. They clear and break but we get a throw. ( SAllardy has left his job confirmed :shock: )

Spearing send us forth, they send it back and....we have another go. Throw us, Moxey and.....they clear to Spearing, we lose it and it's out of play....