Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: Blackpool ... Donkeys or Towering ?

Post by enrdentw » Sat May 04, 2013 4:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I just had a bad feeling about this from the off this morning.

The start was nothing to do with selections/systems but we were far far far too frenetic. The atomosphere didn't help. People screaming at the players to launch it. But none of the players stood up to be counted. The occasion got to them. Blackpool on the other hand were relaxed and played brilliantly for half an hour. Ince and Phillips were unplayable for that period. Especially against our fullbacks who struggled.

It was a strange team but I could see what the plan is. But nobody stood up. It was Wembley all again.

Lets face it the madness before half time covers up for a lack of genuine talent in areas of our team.

Eagles is our only creative force. The back four very suspect and Pratley had a pig of a game. Lots of effort but not much end product.

But we got in at half time 2-2 and I honestly thought we'd go on and do it. But it never really looked like happening second half. Our midfield rarely had control of the game and though we had periods of pressure it returned to the frantic and scrambling football as the players couldn't find the clarity they needed. Best chance fell to LCY who blasted it into the side netting when he should have shot across the keeper.

We struggled to create clear cut chances but put a hell of an effort in. We've been scraping through in the last few weeks but our injuries have proven too big a hurdle to cross.

The only creative player in that side is Eagles. The rest are workmanlike. We missed NGog today for a bit of extra guile on the ball.

Work to do in the summer to improve the back four and increase our attacking options.

Things are so much better than they were in September and October. In a way coming so close and missing out shows that we've put in a monumental effort and leaves us all gutted. But I don't think we had enough in this side to win the play-offs as it stands. And we are certainly miles off doing anything in the premiership.

A lot of work to do to use what will be limited resources far more effectively than the last bloke did and make sure we get the balance in the team right.

Dougie is ace. But anyone who thinks we will walk it next season is in for a big surprise. We hit some form that almost got us there. But a lot of repair work to do in order to challenge next season.
Superb summary and couldn't agree more. We came out with that panic style tempo.

The club dropped a clanger with the extra speakers and the 'clapper' things. Why not treat it like any other game and save that for the playoffs?

In addition, we lacked a leader on the field today. Someone to calm the lads down, dictate the pace and instil some calmness.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat May 04, 2013 5:02 pm

enrdentw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I just had a bad feeling about this from the off this morning.

The start was nothing to do with selections/systems but we were far far far too frenetic. The atomosphere didn't help. People screaming at the players to launch it. But none of the players stood up to be counted. The occasion got to them. Blackpool on the other hand were relaxed and played brilliantly for half an hour. Ince and Phillips were unplayable for that period. Especially against our fullbacks who struggled.

It was a strange team but I could see what the plan is. But nobody stood up. It was Wembley all again.

Lets face it the madness before half time covers up for a lack of genuine talent in areas of our team.

Eagles is our only creative force. The back four very suspect and Pratley had a pig of a game. Lots of effort but not much end product.

But we got in at half time 2-2 and I honestly thought we'd go on and do it. But it never really looked like happening second half. Our midfield rarely had control of the game and though we had periods of pressure it returned to the frantic and scrambling football as the players couldn't find the clarity they needed. Best chance fell to LCY who blasted it into the side netting when he should have shot across the keeper.

We struggled to create clear cut chances but put a hell of an effort in. We've been scraping through in the last few weeks but our injuries have proven too big a hurdle to cross.

The only creative player in that side is Eagles. The rest are workmanlike. We missed NGog today for a bit of extra guile on the ball.

Work to do in the summer to improve the back four and increase our attacking options.

Things are so much better than they were in September and October. In a way coming so close and missing out shows that we've put in a monumental effort and leaves us all gutted. But I don't think we had enough in this side to win the play-offs as it stands. And we are certainly miles off doing anything in the premiership.

A lot of work to do to use what will be limited resources far more effectively than the last bloke did and make sure we get the balance in the team right.

Dougie is ace. But anyone who thinks we will walk it next season is in for a big surprise. We hit some form that almost got us there. But a lot of repair work to do in order to challenge next season.
Superb summary and couldn't agree more. We came out with that panic style tempo.

The club dropped a clanger with the extra speakers and the 'clapper' things. Why not treat it like any other game and save that for the playoffs?

In addition, we lacked a leader on the field today. Someone to calm the lads down, dictate the pace and instil some calmness.

SKD 8)
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I didn't expect to win today, and I'd have laughed at anyone at Christmas who'd have said we'd just miss the playoffs by a midges.
Great game today, as good an atmosphere as I've seen for ages. He fooked up with the initial formation though.

Mini riot on the Harvester carpark after the game. Terrified kids everywhere. Nice one fellas.

Bit worried because it looked like there was someone lying in the car park next to the Police station getting medical attention with loads of folk stood watching as we crawled past in the car after the game. Hope they're ok.

Anyway. We could've easily been Wolves this season so honestly can't really grumble.
Businesswoman of the year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Oh Bollocks!!

Feel we are fecked good n propper now :hang:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 04, 2013 5:40 pm

look at it one way...

dead and buried at christmas... yet denied a playoff spot by a 90th minute goal in another game and goal difference... not unlike the margins we achieved relegation with last season....

would we be happier had we not had the chance today and our season had effectively ended 3 weeks ago? dunno - but we do now have a bit of extra time to get some business done without the distraction of playoffs to fail in...

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat May 04, 2013 5:44 pm

thebish wrote:look at it one way...

dead and buried at christmas... yet denied a playoff spot by a 90th minute goal in another game and goal difference... not unlike the margins we achieved relegation with last season....

would we be happier had we not had the chance today and our season had effectively ended 3 weeks ago? dunno - but we do now have a bit of extra time to get some business done without the distraction of playoffs to fail in...
Nah. I think the end of the season run will have instilled a bit of confidence in the lads, and gave some hope to a fan base that's been pretty pessimistic for quite some time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 04, 2013 5:45 pm

seanworth wrote:

Nah. I think the end of the season run will have instilled a bit of confidence in the lads, and gave some hope to a fan base that's been pretty pessimistic for quite some time.
though - how many of the lads will still be with us next season?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 04, 2013 5:47 pm

anyway...

that's what happens when Crayons decides to go to his first home game of the season... :twisted:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat May 04, 2013 5:50 pm

thebish wrote:anyway...

that's what happens when Crayons decides to go to his first home game of the season... :twisted:
So, it's Crayons fault then? Last time I vote for is other half, the scoundrel...... :wink:

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat May 04, 2013 5:53 pm

thebish wrote:
seanworth wrote:

That is worrying no doubt, but then not sure how having our season effectively end 3 weeks ago would have helped in regards to that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm

seanworth wrote:
thebish wrote:
seanworth wrote:

That is worrying no doubt, but then not sure how having our season effectively end 3 weeks ago would have helped in regards to that.
i think you misunderstand me! i didn't say it would. All I said is that if there is a silver lining - we have the time NOW (without the playoffs) to get some business done...

the bit about season ending was a different point - i was basically saying i'd still rather it had gone to today - even though we missed out - than have had the season effectively over 3 weeks ago.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 pm

thebish wrote:anyway...

It was my 2nd home game - I went to Sheffield Wednesday on Boxing Day.

But yes - I only made it to 6 league games this year, which is not as many as I would have liked, but I have worked out today that it is my first season since I started watching in 1994 that I haven't seen us win at least once when attending.

:cry:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat May 04, 2013 6:03 pm

We should all chip in to a season ticket next season.

...at Blackburn.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 04, 2013 6:03 pm

thebish wrote:
seanworth wrote:

The ones we want to keep. Questionable how many that is but also fair few I'm sure we'd like to move on but won't be able to.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm

thebish wrote:
seanworth wrote:
thebish wrote:
seanworth wrote:

i think you misunderstand me! i didn't say it would. All I said is that if there is a silver lining - we have the time NOW (without the playoffs) to get some business done...

the bit about season ending was a different point - i was basically saying i'd still rather it had gone to today - even though we missed out - than have had the season effectively over 3 weeks ago.
Gotcha. I am concerned about next season, but that seems an annual concern of mine. I'm still not totally convinced about Mr. Freedman, but he is a big step up from Coyle. At least he has a plan and strategy, and I'm happy to give him a chance. I'm sure there will be many changes next season, and he has the summer to put it into effect. With a lot of luck Holden will play a big role in that. The Dawson loan surely showed us a huge need regardless of the division we are playing in. We have several holes, but at least we started playing as a team again, something sorely lacking for some time. Now is the time to start plugging in the holes with suitable replacements. Not sure who we will lose but no-one was that brilliant to put them in much of a demand in the PL, and I can't list many that aren't replaceable if we do lose those players. It's not like losing an Anelka, or Cahill.

AbrahM
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by AbrahM » Sat May 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Dougie has done brilliantly since he came in and we can't be too upset given where we were at christmas and where wolves are

Bogdan 6 Despite the number of chances they had didn't have too much to do, not at fault for goals and made a very good save at the end
Ricketts 5 While I'm usually a fan, most of their play came down his side, and he wasn't as good as usual going forward
Ream 5 Looked stronger and better aerially than when I last saw him, felt he could have closed them down on both their goals
Knight 7 Rarely beaten and made a few wonderful last ditch tackles at the end of the game, he has looked more comfortable on the ball 2nd half of this season (He is the only man who shrinks when he jumps though)
Alonso 8 Possibly his best defensive performance of the season and is always a threat going ofrwards, too good for championship, reminded me of Warnock with the number of tackles he made
Lee 7 Very tidy in possession although for some reason decided to side foot the best chance of the game rather than smashing it, not always effective but is a very intelligent player, could see him leaving
Pratley 6 Improved in 2nd half after being Blackpool dominating midfield in the 1st, crowd encouraged him to shoot when he shouldn't have but he is good in possession
Medo 7 Fantastic signing not at his best but still effective
Eagles 8 The one player with real quality, created both goals, don't know whether he'll stay if he goes he'll be a huge loss
Cravies 6 Put a lot of effort in andused his strength well to create chances, didn't get great service though and it was a lucky goal
Hall 4 Could well go on to be a great player but not the right game to make his debut, looked nervy and didnt want to defend
Sordell 5 didn't have a real impact on the game
Eaves 6 Did well when he came on, used his strength well and had a decent shot that went narrowly wide, should feature a lot next year

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Sat May 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Hoboh wrote:Oh Bollocks!!

Feel we are fecked good n propper now :hang:
WHY?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 04, 2013 6:21 pm

... & I was soooooo prepared.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Gutted.
Absolutely gutted on the basis that all you want is success for your club.

then again a bit of me is relieved. Another season in this division actually excites me.

I'm also of the opinion that going up 'too early' into Dougies reign, may not have been ideal.

Once that Wembley final on the Monday has passed, I wont be anything other than excited for August. Confident we are in a good place.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 pm

So near ....the one saving grace is that the season was turned around & we end on a greater degree of optimism that was likely a few months ago.

Not totally convinced that this momentum will continue but at least we have some hope.

Now DF will be able to scour the DNA pool and get in players who suit him and be rid of some who don't. I anticipate a lot of comings & goings. We need almost a complete new back line ... & strikers who can, well, how to put this ...... er .... strike ?

Bit of a pisser but there you go.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".