Semi Final Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Semi Final Match Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Anybody who thinks they didn't try can fcuk right off too

They might have been shite...they might have let us down...they might have let themselves down

But didn't try?

Get to fcuk
Of course they didn't go into it and say "I really can't be arsed today".

But neither was there any real sign of a rolling up of sleeves and digging in when things went to shite at 2-0!

I'm absolutely certain had we got two early goals we'd have almost certainly won. But I'm equally certain that Stoke would have put up more resistance than we did!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Well this isn't a team normally devoid of fight so you wouldn't have predicted it me up either. Mentally we weren't up to it.
Badly prepared, poor selection, lack of numbers in midfield, lack of quality

A combination of all of the above

I'll listen to all of the above, but not trying....get to feck
Sto ut Serviam

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:06 pm

Was once in a darts contest. Playing well and sailed through a few rounds. Came the semi's I was up for it, keen and full of it. On the night couldn't hit my nose with a tennis racket. Got totally whitewashed. Not nerves, not lack of enthusiasm, just couldn't explain it. Shit happens. Guess it did Sunday.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:45 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Well this isn't a team normally devoid of fight so you wouldn't have predicted it me up either. Mentally we weren't up to it.
Badly prepared, poor selection, lack of numbers in midfield, lack of quality

A combination of all of the above

I'll listen to all of the above, but not trying....get to feck
What about showing no guts? No backbone?

I'm not saying they stood around and didnt bother but feck me I've seen more fight between two blokes called Pierre on the Champs-Élysées.

I just can't put it down to the above, I really can't.

As for BWFCI earlier I'm with him....Sunday was a match I cannot ever see being surpassed as my worst as a wanderer. Like Reading still gives me goosebumps on the old youtube this will be the one to give me nightmares. I feel like I need fecking therapy to get over it. If I see the same faces, or even mostly the same faces, starting next season it will still be there - bottled it at wembley. That game has spoilt this season in my memory...even if we win a few games now and finish top half, sunday was the game that mattered and the bastards bottled it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 pm

If anyone watching that match didn't come to the immediate conclusion that Stoke wanted it more, then perhaps they'd had too much ale.

Even my Citeh mate (who was doing the double-header) remarked how even at 3-0 down they were still chasing the ball and closing down as if their lives depended on it.

So whether you see that as not trying, I don't know. But we certainly put less effort in. I s'pose it depends on the semantics of the word "try".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Maybe
See I'd say we weren't trying at our usual levels (I probably already have), but I don't disagree with Caps either

F*cking moot point anyway
a very moot point

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 am

Anyway, I went to the garage earlier and went to pull my wallet out, and out falls the match ticket and train tickets from the day...

I decided they're still going in the memorabilia box with the Bristol, Torquay, Tranmere, Liverpool, Reading, Watford, Preston, Villa, Middlesborough, Madrid, Munich, Sevilla, Aris, Lisbon, Wigan away, Birmingham away etc etc etc (ad infinitum) stuff. Its all part of the rich tapestry of following The Wanderers.

Even though sometimes it hurts.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:35 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, I went to the garage earlier and went to pull my wallet out, and out falls the match ticket and train tickets from the day...

I decided they're still going in the memorabilia box with the Bristol, Torquay, Tranmere, Liverpool, Reading, Watford, Preston, Villa, Middlesborough, Madrid, Munich, Sevilla, Aris, Lisbon, Wigan away, Birmingham away etc etc etc (ad infinitum) stuff. Its all part of the rich tapestry of following The Wanderers.

Mines there too - my ticket from Wanderers 1-5 Coventry is in there still as well, it can go down at bottom of the pile with that one

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am

P.O.S. wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, I went to the garage earlier and went to pull my wallet out, and out falls the match ticket and train tickets from the day...

Mines there too - my ticket from Wanderers 1-5 Coventry is in there still as well, it can go down at bottom of the pile with that one
Yep. The day before, asked by daughters, I pulled out all my old tickets and we sorted them into a photo album. At Wembley they were delightedly hoarding their tickets, train tickets and programmes - then on the way out (at about 7.30pm - we stayed behind to start to drink the pain away) they were handed scarves by some street sellers packing down. All this clart was lying around the DSB domicile till last night, when I had to say - you can keep it, by all means, but put it away in your bedroom... I don't want to see it staring up at me every day.

By the way, out of very minor interest, I wrote the two pages about the Burnden Disaster (and BW-SC 1993). Just saying, like. I wasn't the only TW contributor either...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:43 am

Bolton News are describing this as "arguably the most dissapointing result in the clubs history".

Ouch.

Now I've come round I see this as a landmark point for the club. We either say "we don't ever want that happening again and no longer accept second best" and go all out to be the absolute best we can be or we slide away and it is accepted.

I like what Coyle has said, he hasn't come out with the "we're still 8th its a good season really" stuff, he's furious, and embarrassed and knows he needs to restore his reputation. I like that. If he's good he'll use this to make us stronger as a club and possibly to rid the mantra of "a good day out" and build a side that within our constraints and restrictions are winners and look to win as much as possible.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Only got back from dahn sahf last night. Still fuming after that whimpering performance. I find it hard to believe that there were players who weren't trying their hardest but for long periods of that game we seemed more than a bit gutless.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Bolton News are describing this as "arguably the most dissapointing result in the clubs history".
Think that should be the result and manner of it. Time to grab the baby and just let the bath water drain away. A good performance on Sunday will consign it to history. Let's move on.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Bolton News are describing this as "arguably the most dissapointing result in the clubs history".
Think that should be the result and manner of it. Time to grab the baby and just let the bath water drain away. A good performance on Sunday will consign it to history. Let's move on.
Aye move on but use it to make us stronger.

Now is the time to forget sentimentality and to let Owen build a proper winning team. We can't keep relying on the same old faces we need new blood a new drive and purpose. It might mean some favourites being consigned to the bench or worse. But thats life.

We need to look to the future now. The likes of SKD for example can play a part but we simply cannot keep using him week after week, when he is clearly not up to it.

Use that defeat to push the club on.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 pm

That's one of the few things keeping my head up about Wanderers after Sunday - that from a point as low as this, it's actually quite exciting to think about the prospect of us becoming a stronger team and set up as a result of it. A summer of consolidating all the very good things we've seen this season and having that Sunday in April there as a grim reminder of the lowest ebb.

I just want another couple of games to come and go, just to give us something else to focus on

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Did anyone see the captain's tweet today?
Thanks to the letter sent to my home requesting refund of ticket costs/travel and accommodation, forgot to leave your name #coward
I hope whoever sent that has their home privacy invaded in that manner by someone, over a work-related event.

#Coward? I'd use #c*nt.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Choppers wrote:Did anyone see the captain's tweet today?
Thanks to the letter sent to my home requesting refund of ticket costs/travel and accommodation, forgot to leave your name #coward
sounds like a Megson Outers excuses from way back when.

theyve probably got cctv of him somewheres.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I've never felt worse than Sunday.
Sorry, I've come into this late. Were you not at the Tranmere game?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:44 pm

I was BR, I definitely felt worse at that and dare I say the Ipswich play-off as well. Three words: Jim Magilton hat-trick
Pfffft.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Aye move on but use it to make us stronger.

Now is the time to forget sentimentality and to let Owen build a proper winning team. We can't keep relying on the same old faces we need new blood a new drive and purpose. It might mean some favourites being consigned to the bench or worse. But thats life.

We need to look to the future now. The likes of SKD for example can play a part but we simply cannot keep using him week after week, when he is clearly not up to it.

Use that defeat to push the club on.
Bang on here, Nixon-bummer 8)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMFNzO1 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little pick me up