Time to go

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should we get rid of Owen Coyle?

Yes
38%
No
48%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 146

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to go

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 am

Last time we won back to back games...a year ago

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:26 am

officer_dibble wrote:Last time we won back to back games...a year ago
Don't think so Dibs.

I figure you're not counting FA cup games - if so, we won the two matches either side of the Semi final in April

If you are counting FA cup matches, then we won against Villa and Brum in March.

But it still ain't good.

:-)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:27 am

It would be interesting to reset the poll and see what everyone thinks now.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:31 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:It would be interesting to reset the poll and see what everyone thinks now.
Since the poll was put up, we've got 1.5 points per game - which is European form.

Some of the "sack him" crowd will probably have swung round to "keep him".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:35 am

Sorry, being selective then! forgot about west han

said we'd miss 'em though

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:27 am

I wanted Coyle out pre Stoke game. Then you think feck me, if we play like that, why can't we play like that every week? Because our manager is out of his depth. He's got to go, all this bollox about 'two wins and we're mid table', is utter fantasy. We can't win two games back to back. Is it now two wins 16 prem games? The longer this goes on, it'll be 'we only need four wins'; ....five wins......six wins.....Shit, we've run out of games and we're down. Get rid now.

Jokers in White
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jokers in White » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Il Pirate wrote:I wanted Coyle out pre Stoke game. Then you think feck me, if we play like that, why can't we play like that every week? Because our manager is out of his depth. He's got to go, all this bollox about 'two wins and we're mid table', is utter fantasy. We can't win two games back to back. Is it now two wins 16 prem games? The longer this goes on, it'll be 'we only need four wins'; ....five wins......six wins.....Shit, we've run out of games and we're down. Get rid now.
Couldnt agree more mate! coyle is a championship manager, i could write his tactical knowledge on a postage stamp!. I never thought anyone would be worse than megson but coyle's record at the club is now worse than his ha! the only reason he is still in a job is that most of the fans like him because hes a nice guy and use to play for us well i think some of these fans need to grow up and quick!!!!
https://twitter.com/Chaddy_81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 pm

The three teams we've beaten this season have been bad for a particular reason: QPR (promoted club), Wigan (!) and Stoke (tired after european away trip).

I didn't see the West Brom game but it sounds like the opposition played well, and OC has never beaten Roy, and it's away so a one-goal defeat isn't too bad.

Everton at home is a decent, hard game. Last year Everton didn't really show up and we won 2-0. If we can beat Everton again there is hope for us and OC.

Another loss, and like everyone says, time is running out. We've been losing to mediocre sides, that has to stop or we'll be down.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Jokers in White wrote: coyle is a championship manager, i could write his tactical knowledge on a postage stamp!
ok - go ahead - and post a picture here... until then - I won't believe you.

Turkish Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Turkish Trotter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Didn't think I would change camps but starting to waver to the OUT camp.
The only problem being who would replace him.
Worried about another disastrous appointment and the atmosphere at the club being split even further.
If we don't get Win against Everton time is running out.
But I can't see the board agreeing with that.
Born to be a Wanderer!!
Some say Wisdom comes with age, I may be the exception !!

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'd rather eat my hair than have HWSNBN back.

That said, after 12 games in 2009/10, we had 11 points, scored 15 conceded 26, were 3rd bottom, but on level points with 4th bottom and with a game in hand (although as I pointed out at the time, that game was Arsenal (A) iirc). I also said we were pretty clueless and it was time a parting of the ways.

We'd played 7 out of the top 10 from the season before - this season, after all the blathering about the fixtures, we've played 6 of last year's top 10, and all the promoted teams.

Just to make everyone feel really great, HWSNBN, lost one more match from this position until he got sacked at the end of December.

Roll forwards a couple of years.

We've scored 4 more.

And now the negatives.

We've conceded 3 more
Have two points less
Are two points adrift of 17th
Don't have the game in hand

Looks bleak to me. I certainly don't see anything "better" this season than I saw in 2009/10. Unlike 2009, I don't want to get shut of the manager (was happy to see the back of the last one), but I think he's got to go, unless something dramatic happens soon, starting with a win next week. Can't see it though. As WtW knows all too well, Everton are our bogiest of bogey teams - They're the only team in the Prem that have better results over Bolton at Burnden/Bok than Bolton have over Everton.

Decent summation of our situation.
However
the reason Megson was sacked, i believe, had less to do with the argument that he was taking us down (nowhere near a majority, and Meggo himself which is why he was so incredulous at his sacking- believed we were a certainty to go down; his sacking had more to do with the utter poisonous , negative drivel his teams were serving up and his complete lack of empathy with the fans.
although i would argue we are perhaps more likely to go down this season than we were when Megson went in 2009/10 its still more a possibility than a probability.
the bookies (who as the cliche goes seldom get it wrong currently have us as 5th favourites @ 2-1 to go down- Stoke btw are a tempting 16-1).
therefore the question of whether we should jettison Coyle comes more down to an appraisal of what we see and have seen in front of us on the pitch over the last 18 months.
for me the balance sheet is still just about positive. Coyle needs to act decisively now- he needs to tell his first 13 who they are and stick to them for a run of games.I think he will.
i'm prepared to accept we are a team in transition, hurt by injuries and failure to get in who we really wanted in the Summer.
Coyle should be sacked only if he takes us down because only then will his plan have been conclusively proved to have failed.
However if we survive this season and still struggle the next then i would concede he would have to go
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote: the reason Megson was sacked, i believe, had less to do with the argument that he was taking us down (nowhere near a majority, and Meggo himself which is why he was so incredulous at his sacking- believed we were a certainty to go down; his sacking had more to do with the utter poisonous , negative drivel his teams were serving up and his complete lack of empathy with the fans.
although i would argue we are perhaps more likely to go down this season than we were when Megson went in 2009/10 its still more a possibility than a probability.
the bookies (who as the cliche goes seldom get it wrong currently have us as 5th favourites @ 2-1 to go down- Stoke btw are a tempting 16-1).
therefore the question of whether we should jettison Coyle comes more down to an appraisal of what we see and have seen in front of us on the pitch over the last 18 months.
for me the balance sheet is still just about positive. Coyle needs to act decisively now- he needs to tell his first 13 who they are and stick to them for a run of games.I think he will.
i'm prepared to accept we are a team in transition, hurt by injuries and failure to get in who we really wanted in the Summer.
Coyle should be sacked only if he takes us down because only then will his plan have been conclusively proved to have failed.
However if we survive this season and still struggle the next then i would concede he would have to go
I pretty much agree with this, though yesterday had me starting to waver. I think the manager and the club have had real bad luck with injuries - especially Holden (the missing leader on the pitch) and LCY (skill and creativity). The loanees also get injured (though they are not the standard of the last two by the longest of long chalks).

I don't believe we should change our manager for one with no Premiership experience and I can't think of one available that would be able to improve us.

Who, seriously, is in the frame?

jimbo_bwfc
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jimbo_bwfc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:03 pm

The second half yesterday was as bad as anything served up under Megson. No shape, no pace, no idea other than to hoof it up to whoever was up front, whether it was Davies winning 1 out of every 4 balls- and that one was going to no-one because Klasnic had given up running for the day. Or N'Gog who is woeful in the air and I don't think an won aeriel battle all game.

It's worrying. Don't particularly think we should get rid of Coyle though (for three reasons, One: he's not going anywhere, getting all irate about it isn't going to help the situation. Two: he's not been helped by circumstances. Three: I don't see a suitable, available replacement)

By the same token, I'm not going to kick up a fuss against anyone who is of the opinion he should go, because there is some cause to do so.
http://www.twitter.com/jderbyshirebwfc

"Like putting a tiara on a shirehorse"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:41 pm

William the White wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote: the reason Megson was sacked, i believe, had less to do with the argument that he was taking us down (nowhere near a majority, and Meggo himself which is why he was so incredulous at his sacking- believed we were a certainty to go down; his sacking had more to do with the utter poisonous , negative drivel his teams were serving up and his complete lack of empathy with the fans.
I pretty much agree with this, though yesterday had me starting to waver. I think the manager and the club have had real bad luck with injuries - especially Holden (the missing leader on the pitch) and LCY (skill and creativity). The loanees also get injured (though they are not the standard of the last two by the longest of long chalks).

I don't believe we should change our manager for one with no Premiership experience and I can't think of one available that would be able to improve us.

Who, seriously, is in the frame?
That is the question WtW. But you can always ask it.

I believe Mark Hughes would keep us up. Would he come? That's the million dollar question.

Went to Fulham in similar circumstances, needs a job, probably a short term appointment but right now we cannot afford to go down and need a manager tough enough and pragmatic enough to give us a chance.

Nothing OC has done suggests he has those qualities.

As you keep saying we need a midfield player to do a defensive role. We have ones capable but they are repeatedly not utilised there for a reason.

We need to scrap from this position.

Feck off all attempts at playing football and become a solid uncompromising set of bastards!

Hughes could achieve that IMO!

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm

jimbo_bwfc wrote:The second half yesterday was as bad as anything served up under Megson.

really?
even if it was- 45 minutes where we were put on the backfoot and couldn't get out of the blocks hardly equates to the seasons long drudgery of Meggos tactics.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:52 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:
jimbo_bwfc wrote:The second half yesterday was as bad as anything served up under Megson.

really?
even if it was- 45 minutes where we were put on the backfoot and couldn't get out of the blocks hardly equates to the seasons long drudgery of Meggos tactics.
Getting dicked on is hardly an improvement on 'drudgery'.

The second half yesterday was embarrassing cos it showed how completely out of depth our manager is.

We showed first half that our players could at least match West Brom.

Hodgson changed them at half time and Coyle spent the whole half scratching his head wondering what happened!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:55 pm

I simply think it's down to Coyle realising that he has to change tactics for away games, 442 doesn't work away no matter who you are playing, simple as.

451/433 away from home with N'Gog and Tuncay either side of Davies would work better in my opinion.

Still it could be worse we could be Dingle or Pie eater fans, eh?
Pfffft.

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:29 pm

I am a big Owen Coyle fan. That being said we are in serious, serious danger of going down. TBH we are not a good footballing side and the sum of the parts we have been fielding this season scare no one and is not producing. Our defending is shambolic from set pieces and our center backs are split too easily because our fullbacks are easily beaten for pace. We don't seem able to adjust our tactics and appear bereft of ideas too often. Either us, Wolves, Rovers, or Wigan are going down.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Can we please, please, stop the Megson comparisons. How he did versus our current manager OC is irrelevant. The time is now, a different time, with different sides; ours and the oppositions. OC comes accross (in my opinion), as a decent fella. Yes, unfortunate injuries and players leaving, (who'd have Matty Taylor back now?); have not helped, but the adage is the same, it happens at all clubs. However, his record as a football manager, in any division, to put it mildly, is not good. To continue as we are, or have been, with the odd good win in 7 or 8, (never been good at maths); is a sure route to the chumpionship. God forbid, maybe beyond. I have to ask therefore, can we afford to sack him from a financial perspective? And if we did, who would we want? Questions must be asked, as it's only a matter of time.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Who are the alternatives? Does this also not suggest that we're a bit quick on the old trigger finger? What happens if the new manager doesn't do very well and we still end up in the Championship?

Don't think O'Neill will come as he wants money to spend and I don't think we're pragmatic enough to have Hughes in charge, to me that would be similar to having HWSNBN in charge.
Pfffft.