Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Whenever I hear Hill on Radio Manchester he's always using the "little old Rochdale" line. Saying they don't have the squad or resources of other teams etc. Seems to work for him there in creating that underdog mentality.

But I think here it is different. Even with our financial position we'll still have one of the biggest budgets in the league. And clubs will come here seeing us as a potential scalp.

That is pretty much my concern about someone who's only ever really managed well at 1 club, especially when looking at the way he's done it. Is the environment there just perfect for his methods and style? He probably gets more grace from the fans there than he would elsewhere.

His signings are impressive, but if what Anderson and Holdsworth say is true, they may be making more of the calls in that department anyway.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:09 pm

I get the feeling though, with Anderson's supposed contacts, it's more than likely that the new man will be a Southerner.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:22 pm

The bottom line, it seems to me, is that recent history suggests that experience levels, reputation, prior history and personality are largely unimportant. Anyone and everyone is a potential risk and a potential saviour. From that point of view, I'll be welcoming anyone and giving them a chance.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Andy Waller wrote:I get the feeling though, with Anderson's supposed contacts, it's more than likely that the new man will be a Southerner.
I'm getting the words "Dave" and "Bassett"...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:The bottom line, it seems to me, is that recent history suggests that experience levels, reputation, prior history and personality are largely unimportant. Anyone and everyone is a potential risk and a potential saviour. From that point of view, I'll be welcoming anyone and giving them a chance.
Unless Waller is right and Ken and Deano have a cockney knees up and finally agree..... on Dennis Wise.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Wise, Kinnear and Terry Burton. The dream team.

EDIT: And of course with connection to our Chief Exec!
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Wise, Kinnear and Terry Burton. The faaackin' dream team you caaaaant!.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:The bottom line, it seems to me, is that recent history suggests that experience levels, reputation, prior history and personality are largely unimportant. Anyone and everyone is a potential risk and a potential saviour. From that point of view, I'll be welcoming anyone and giving them a chance.
Even Sammy Lee, Megson or Coyle? You'd be happy with Aldridge? :shock:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Barry Knight?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Is the environment there just perfect for his methods and style? He probably gets more grace from the fans there than he would elsewhere.
If so, is that his doing? A 43% win rate will make most fans smile, as will getting them to their highest position in living memory. Again, did he earn that grace?
BWFC_Insane wrote:His signings are impressive, but if what Anderson and Holdsworth say is true, they may be making more of the calls in that department anyway.
Extrapolation. What Anderson said is that we won't be spending stupid money (good). What Holdsworth said is that he's willing to help the manager crunch the numbers and assess new players (good). What neither of them has said is "We'll be taking care of all the scouting and foisting our own players on the coach whether or not he likes them." If they have a manager with contacts who says "I hear Danny Striker at Peterborough isn't happy, he could do us a job" do you honestly think they'll say "Shut it son, signings are our business"?
Andy Waller wrote:I get the feeling though, with Anderson's supposed contacts, it's more than likely that the new man will be a Southerner.
Chris Wilder's from Rotherham, Browny's from South Shields, Nolan's from Liverpool, Carver's from Newcastle. Steve Cotterill (Cheltenham) is about as southern as the linked managers have been.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Is the environment there just perfect for his methods and style? He probably gets more grace from the fans there than he would elsewhere.
If so, is that his doing? A 43% win rate will make most fans smile, as will getting them to their highest position in living memory. Again, did he earn that grace?
BWFC_Insane wrote:His signings are impressive, but if what Anderson and Holdsworth say is true, they may be making more of the calls in that department anyway.
Extrapolation. What Anderson said is that we won't be spending stupid money (good). What Holdsworth said is that he's willing to help the manager crunch the numbers and assess new players (good). What neither of them has said is "We'll be taking care of all the scouting and foisting our own players on the coach whether or not he likes them." If they have a manager with contacts who says "I hear Danny Striker at Peterborough isn't happy, he could do us a job" do you honestly think they'll say "Shut it son, signings are our business"?
Chris Wilder's from Rotherham, Browny's from South Shields, Nolan's from Liverpool, Carver's from Newcastle. Steve Cotterill (Cheltenham) is about as southern as the linked managers have been.
Anderson said they already had contacted 4 premiership clubs and knew which players they wanted to get on loan from them(but other clubs wanted them as well). Given we haven't appointed a manager yet, without extrapolation that sounds to me like any new manager won't have a total say on signings.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Anderson said they already had contacted 4 premiership clubs and knew which players they wanted to get on loan from them(but other clubs wanted them as well). Given we haven't appointed a manager yet, without extrapolation that sounds to me like any new manager won't have a total say on signings.
Ken Anderson actually said rather than wrote:We also have a number of key relationships and agreements in place with teams in the top flight with an eye on what we can possibly do in the loan market.
Ken Anderson neither said nor wrote:We know precisely who the loan players will be and, despite not knowing how many permanent squad members we'll have and in which position, we will plough blindly ahead and insist on recruiting precisely those players.
Of course the new manager won't have a total say on signings. They never do, otherwise Messi's agent would need ten phones. But I think people need to calm their tits about the idea that Ken'n'Deano are playing Football Manager By Default.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:41 pm

an impressively long way to walk every day! :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Anderson said they already had contacted 4 premiership clubs and knew which players they wanted to get on loan from them(but other clubs wanted them as well). Given we haven't appointed a manager yet, without extrapolation that sounds to me like any new manager won't have a total say on signings.
Ken Anderson actually said rather than wrote:We also have a number of key relationships and agreements in place with teams in the top flight with an eye on what we can possibly do in the loan market.
Ken Anderson neither said nor wrote:We know precisely who the loan players will be and, despite not knowing how many permanent squad members we'll have and in which position, we will plough blindly ahead and insist on recruiting precisely those players.
Of course the new manager won't have a total say on signings. They never do, otherwise Messi's agent would need ten phones. But I think people need to calm their tits about the idea that Ken'n'Deano are playing Football Manager By Default.

Go to the 8 minute mark in the video of KA interview on the official club youtube.

There he says 'we've already spoken to 4 clubs. We know which players we'd like from those 4 clubs'. Exactly the quote! Not, we will have to see what a manager thinks. But they've already, sans new manager identified players they would like!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:50 pm

He does actually say we've already spoken to 4 clubs, we know which players we'd like from those 4 clubs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPrHgy3pvpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 mins in...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:53 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Barry Knight?
I doubt he'd make it out of the car park alive!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
He does actually say we've already spoken to 4 clubs, we know which players we'd like from those 4 clubs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPrHgy3pvpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 mins in...
Could he mean that they're players any right minded division 3 manager would want? Not saying he is, but that could be the sort of thinking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Fair enough. Did he say we'll be signing them whether or not the manager likes it, or did he use the conditional tense ("We would like")? Did he say "And that's just for starters: you can immediately extrapolate this as meaning we will be signing who we jolly well please"?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Fair enough. Did he say we'll be signing them whether or not the manager likes it, or did he use the conditional tense ("We would like")? Did he say "And that's just for starters: you can immediately extrapolate this as meaning we will be signing who we jolly well please"?

No he didn't. I guess he'd be a bit pissed off if the new manager said "they're all a bag o shoite" though...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Fair enough. Did he say we'll be signing them whether or not the manager likes it, or did he use the conditional tense ("We would like")? Did he say "And that's just for starters: you can immediately extrapolate this as meaning we will be signing who we jolly well please"?
No he didn't. I guess he'd be a bit pissed off if the new manager said "they're all a bag o shoite" though...
In which case the manager would have to back that opinion up with alternatives, as you or I would in a similar situation. I mean, it's possible that KA and DH will rule by diktat (providing they can come to consensus considering they're 50/50...) but it's far more likely that they will be throwing their experience and help in with the manager, for a common goal. Like most adults in a working situation, they'll bump along and may have their disagreements. In the end, he who signs the cheques has the veto - doesn't mean he demands total control.