Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:22 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 pm
Wasn't doubting the veracity, at all, mate. Just how unlikely that I'd bump into a neighbour with similar Intel. :-)
We've a few locally who work in the game. It's mostly Leeds and Huddersfield, but there're a couple of League One lads. Barnsley up the hill and the Morecambe lad, who lives I know not where.

At least next season, after we're promoted, I'll be able to keep tabs on whatever Leeds reserve the agents want to attach our name to. Exciting times...

I was hoping to persuade the local Terriers to try and send Ty Simpson our way, but god knows what Northampton have done to him. He looks totally devoid of confidence at the minute. Certainly doesn't look the the type Evatt and Markham would be chasing as things stand.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:53 pm

Is there anybody we might consider at Reading? On a personal note, I have deep empathy with their fans – we've been there, and I wish them well. On a professional note, if players are leaving, we'd be absurd to take the moral high ground when few others will – according to Pete O’Rourke, Tom Holmes is already at Luton having a medical.

Reliable Reach journalist Darren Witcoop expects Holmes, Nelson Abbey, Charlie Savage, Lewis Wing, Caylan Vickers, Sam Smith and Femi Azeez all to be targeted – and there's a few familiar names in there.

I have it on good authority that Charlie Savage nearly came to us in summer, and with Reading in trouble his agent may well be back on the phone; whether or not Sav plays in a priority position to populate is another question. For the first few months of the season Ruben Selles played a 4-2-2-2, with Savage and Lewis Wing usually the two deeper midfielders. That would suggest Savage as cover for Sheehan, which Morley already is. But lately, Selles has switched to more of a 4-1-4-1 with Savage benched, but almost always coming on – sometimes as that defensive midfielder, but sometimes further forward as a free 8. That flexibility will appeal to Evatt, but possibly not until Savage's four-year contract is broken by non-payment.

Lewis Wing was mentioned on the summer transfer thread, when he joined Reading from Wycombe. He's another quarterback type but has adapted to Selles' formation change by taking his creativity further forward. But he signed a three-year contract to join Reading just after turning 28. Could have been the "Sheehan signing" to cover the Champo step up, but would we pay a fee?

Nelson Abbey is not a Lancastrian ecclesiastical ruin but a 20-year-old Reading academy grad, a sturdy but speedy left centre-back who loves to drive forward with the ball. One analysis 11 days ago had him as the division's fourth-best player for ball "carries" - and he rarely loses them. Also usually has Reading's most touches. Wants the ball and wants to drive forward? So far so Evatty. But also very "modern football" - and with his contract apparently up in summer, there'll be a queue of suitors.

Caylan Vickers is a 19-y-o forward who hasn't done much, bless him. But Sam Smith was mentioned on here in summer when leaving Cambridge, where he'd scored 15 and 13 league goals in the last two seasons. A left-footed 6ft1 Manc, the 25-year-old returned to his first club on a three-year contract and has scored 6 in 14 league games (he was injured for the first two months). He's physical enough to be a target man – he's usually the last 1 of the 4-1-4-1 - but has also dropped deeper to play more of a false 9. Not sure he has the pace we need though...

Last on the list but very far from least is Femi Azeez. Ghost has mentioned him favourably and (IIRC) as a possible wingback. Appearing in every League One game (22 out of the 25 as a starter), he's left-footed but has played on the right(ish) for Selles - either as one of the "10s" in the 4-2-2-2 or on the outside of the more recent 4-1-4-1. Has also been pushed up front in a 2, although they now have less call for that. Like many of his teammates he's had better returns in the new formation, scoring 4 (some of them proper belters) and assisting 4 in 9 games since late November. Presses well, too. You can imagine him as an "attacking wingback" to rival Randell, and possibly JDC on the other side. Seems his contract's up in summer so we could expedite a bid. The Londoner joined from local non-leaguers and has never played for a team far from the M25/M4 junction - but his Nigerian father and Spanish mother might tell him a bit about following the career wherever it's needed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:34 pm

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:22 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:16 pm
Wasn't doubting the veracity, at all, mate. Just how unlikely that I'd bump into a neighbour with similar Intel. :-)
We've a few locally who work in the game. It's mostly Leeds and Huddersfield, but there're a couple of League One lads. Barnsley up the hill and the Morecambe lad, who lives I know not where.

At least next season, after we're promoted, I'll be able to keep tabs on whatever Leeds reserve the agents want to attach our name to. Exciting times...

I was hoping to persuade the local Terriers to try and send Ty Simpson our way, but god knows what Northampton have done to him. He looks totally devoid of confidence at the minute. Certainly doesn't look the the type Evatt and Markham would be chasing as things stand.
Surely the sign of a realistic prem charge would be being linked alongside West Ham and Celtic! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:30 pm
Surely the sign of a realistic prem charge would be being linked alongside West Ham and Celtic! :-)
We might even get one of the Utd kids we keep tabs on.

Dan Gore is apparently the latest we've been credited with interest in.

Insane will be thrilled. Gore makes Shoretire look like the incredible hulk. The lad drinks his morning coffee out of a thimble.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 am

Marc Iles appears to be making the (possibly well-informed) assumption that we're edging closer to signing Ennis on loan.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -progress/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:18 am
Marc Iles appears to be making the (possibly well-informed) assumption that we're edging closer to signing Ennis on loan.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... -progress/
Interesting that the article talks about "one or maybe two" - If one was Ennis, then that reads like there would be only one other to punt at...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am
Interesting that the article talks about "one or maybe two" - If one was Ennis, then that reads like there would be only one other to punt at...
Aye. What makes it extra interesting is the fact we keep being linked to central midfielders.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:50 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Aye. What makes it extra interesting is the fact we keep being linked to central midfielders.
...which indicates Evatt & Co are happy with Ashworth and Matheson as WB backup (along with Iredale and Geth to an extent).

That's their decision – I'm not sure I'm so confident, especially in the "attacking WB" mindset if Randell goes lame (CMG, perhaps, but that's a big risk). But at least they played the two young'uns against Accy to see what we have. Had they pressed Williams and Cogz into service again that night, avoided Ash/Math and still said we didn't need backup, that would feel more like an oversight.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:50 am
Worthy4England wrote:
...which indicates Evatt & Co are happy with Ashworth and Matheson as WB backup (along with Iredale and Geth to an extent).

That's their decision – I'm not sure I'm so confident, especially in the "attacking WB" mindset if Randell goes lame (CMG, perhaps, but that's a big risk). But at least they played the two young'uns against Accy to see what we have. Had they pressed Williams and Cogz into service again that night, avoided Ash/Math and still said we didn't need backup, that would feel more like an oversight.
Yeah - that's what I was "nudging" towards...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:16 pm

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:31 am

Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 am

Aye. Was very impressed with Ashworth tonight, though, against Premier League (or really just very good Championship) players.

He looked like a lad who has spent 6 months learning the system. Knew he role and defended his side pretty well. No signs of flagging after the Accy game. Really good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 am

Forester off with some sort of hamstring issue last night. Now hopefully it’s not much but we’ve all seen how these things can escalate.

That would leave us incredibly stretched for Saturday. Really do need to recruit across the back line and wing backs.

Say Santos was ill and couldn’t play Saturday - we cant pick a team that makes sense in our current shape. Needs fixing. Still a couple of weeks to do it but need to get moving.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 am
Forester off with some sort of hamstring issue last night. Now hopefully it’s not much but we’ve all seen how these things can escalate.

That would leave us incredibly stretched for Saturday. Really do need to recruit across the back line and wing backs.

Say Santos was ill and couldn’t play Saturday - we cant pick a team that makes sense in our current shape. Needs fixing. Still a couple of weeks to do it but need to get moving.
Well, yeah..if you have one away on international duty and get 2-3 injuries in the same department you'll be short.

However, we could put out a back three. We'd stick Toal in the middle and play Iredale and Ashworth either side of him. We could also play Cogley as a right centre half, which he played a couple of times at Brum, with Matheson off the right - leaving Ashwroth free to fill in if Randy is still out.

So whilst we would be stretched, there are options from a very well-designed squad.

If Williams' injury is worse than suggested, or Forrester is out for a while, we'll definitely have to get something done in the loan market.

We're not yet at the stage of having to hand a start to Hayes-Green or Inwood, though.

Still, if we could get a versatile wingback in this week we'll all feel better for it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:09 am

Ashworth's performance last night will have been an enormous boost not just to him but also to his team-mates, coaches and the fans. I don't think there'd be a mass gulp resounding through the away end if he's picked again Saturday – although it's a big ask and I'd rather we rotate those wingbacks a lot more.

For me, attention now turns to the other side. Cogz did another huge shift and will almost certainly be asked to go again. Even without the FA Cup we're still playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue for almost every week until the time changes at least. Can Matheson step up or is there a target there?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am

Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:09 am
Ashworth's performance last night will have been an enormous boost not just to him but also to his team-mates, coaches and the fans. I don't think there'd be a mass gulp resounding through the away end if he's picked again Saturday – although it's a big ask and I'd rather we rotate those wingbacks a lot more.

For me, attention now turns to the other side. Cogz did another huge shift and will almost certainly be asked to go again. Even without the FA Cup we're still playing Sat-Tue-Sat-Tue for almost every week until the time changes at least. Can Matheson step up or is there a target there?
For me we need to make a signing.

Ashworth has always looked good, he's just not had the style of play down. He was excellent at Burton (one of the best in the division) and I've zero issues with him getting games.

The same isn't true of Matheson. He's raw and small. There's loads to like and he's not here as a charity case. He has pace, a good brain and technical ability. However, he's not street smart and he won't be protected physically by the refs at this level. For me he needs to go on loan and get 6 months of men's football at a level where his technical ability sets him apart.

If I were Markham I'd be onto Utd about getting Brandon William's loan transferred here from Ipswich. He's not gone there to sit on the bench and we could offer him a lot of football in a role that'd suit him. He'd also rip up this division.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:58 am

I think that’s spot on…Matheson is 21 now, needs football but he’s too big a risk here. Cogley needs some competition. I would push for exactly the that - Matheson to Morecambe or wherever to get established in a side and get someone in on loan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:54 am

I don’t share the optimism on Ashworth. I thought he was decent last night but in a more defensive role. It’s only the other week he was being called lazy on here…

I just don’t see him as the wing back we would need if for example we need to win at Peterborough last day of the season and need someone to beat a man, drive into the box and create a chance.

But that aside. Cogley was immense last night but is as DSB notes at risk of burn out as we saw with Bradley to an extent last season. He needs protecting. We also are short in the back three.

Is there an argument for a right sided centre half who allows Jones to cover JDC when he’s back IF we can’t find a wing back of suitable skill set? I’m thinking finding wing backs in January capable of playing for us might be a challenge too far. Finding a right sided centre back might be easier.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:03 am

Cole Stockton off to Barrow on loan.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:54 am
I don’t share the optimism on Ashworth. I thought he was decent last night but in a more defensive role. It’s only the other week he was being called lazy on here…

I just don’t see him as the wing back we would need if for example we need to win at Peterborough last day of the season and need someone to beat a man, drive into the box and create a chance.

But that aside. Cogley was immense last night but is as DSB notes at risk of burn out as we saw with Bradley to an extent last season. He needs protecting. We also are short in the back three.

Is there an argument for a right sided centre half who allows Jones to cover JDC when he’s back IF we can’t find a wing back of suitable skill set? I’m thinking finding wing backs in January capable of playing for us might be a challenge too far. Finding a right sided centre back might be easier.
I mentioned him in the summer, but Reuell Walters at Arsenal sounds perfect for our needs. Pacey, technical right back/centre back who is around the first team at Arsenal but not getting any game time.

Don't know if we have any relationship with Arsenal at present, but I'd be having a look at this kid if it's at all possible.