Semi Final Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Semi Final Match Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:30 pm

So, have we been shit for a year now then?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 am

Several shades of it, really.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Several shades of it, really.
Nope, mostly just the one shade .... & a very dark brown it has been.

I honestly believe that one match & they way it shattered Coyle's self belief, did for him & hence ourselves. He's been a rabbit in headlights since that day.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 am

bobo the clown wrote:
ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Several shades of it, really.
Nope, mostly just the one shade .... & a very dark brown it has been.

I honestly believe that one match & they way it shattered Coyle's self belief, did for him & hence ourselves. He's been a rabbit in headlights since that day.
I think rather it highlighted how we had for much of the season been papering over some very large cracks.

Said it at the time, the goals of Elmander and Sturridge last season papered over a lot of our deficiencies elsewhere. To an extent the workrate of Holden did similar.

I actually think our good performance in the first half of last season was ultimately a bad thing. Which sounds odd, but I think before the season started Coyle was looking at the longer term transitioning of the squad. I think when we started to do well in the league and the cup, it became harder to be ruthless about certain players and meant that basically we ended up "losing a season" of progress (IF indeed thats what Coyle can/will deliver) on the plan of rebuilding with younger players.

I think we patched over the leaky defence, paper thin midfield and strike force that was going to lose its two best performers and it was only at the end of the season that it began to become apparent.

In my opinion the 5-0 drubbing at Wembley was merely an indication of how much better Stoke are equipped than us as a top flight club.......

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:In my opinion the 5-0 drubbing at Wembley was merely an indication of how much better Stoke are equipped than us as a top flight club.......
So what did the much less important but still quite eye-opening 5-0 ass-whupping we gave them on Bonfire Night indicate?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:In my opinion the 5-0 drubbing at Wembley was merely an indication of how much better Stoke are equipped than us as a top flight club.......
So what did the much less important but still quite eye-opening 5-0 ass-whupping we gave them on Bonfire Night indicate?
how much better equipped we are than them as a top flight club... presumably! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: In my opinion the 5-0 drubbing at Wembley was merely an indication of how much better Stoke are equipped than us as a top flight club.......
Didn't want to start the week with an "absolute bollox" expression but...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Hmm seems tottenham yesterday then were only a gareth bale tap-in from being 'not equipped for the top flight' too then, using that logic.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 pm

thebish wrote:
how much better equipped we are than them as a top flight club... presumably! :wink:
Aye but thats taking the quote slightly out of context when removed from the rest of the post.

My point was that the result was the first real symptom rather than the cause....

And leading up to the game on here the general consensus was "we're an established premiership side, doing well in the league and they're just long ball, long throw strugglers".

Can you really argue that Stoke as a club aren't far better equipped for the top flight than we are?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Aye but thats taking the quote slightly out of context when removed from the rest of the post.

My point was that the result was the first real symptom rather than the cause....

And leading up to the game on here the general consensus was "we're an established premiership side, doing well in the league and they're just long ball, long throw strugglers".

Can you really argue that Stoke as a club aren't far better equipped for the top flight than we are?
you could argue that we've been there a lot longer for a start!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:

you could argue that we've been there a lot longer for a start!
Aye but if you were a bookie taking bets, and I asked you "give me the odds on Bolton or Stoke being a premiership club in 2015" who would you honestly hand on heart give the better odds to?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Aye but if you were a bookie taking bets, and I asked you "give me the odds on Bolton or Stoke being a premiership club in 2015" who would you honestly hand on heart give the better odds to?

I doubt I'd give much to choose between the two...

adamworthy2002
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by adamworthy2002 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Ugh we're going down
