Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 23, 2024 2:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:02 pm
Don't compare Gareth Ainsworth and Sam Allardyce
Allardyce evolved here. He came in proper long ball, long throw, thought Johansen was too small…he changed over time here and became rounded.

Didn’t take that long either it was less than two full seasons till he was doing everything to sign Youri and the like….

The thing about Allardyce that mattered was he was totally driven by achieving success and winning. He would never hide behind style or say ‘ah but the performance of the process were top notch’ it was purely about a result and getting it and doing everything you could to get a result including selling your family members if that’s what it took.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rising in Wembley's Glow: A Bolton Wanderers Tale - Bolton vs Oxford. 18th May 2024, 4.15pm

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 23, 2024 3:12 pm

Mate, you can wish for people like Ainsworth all you like. If we removed Evatt to bring him in tomorrow, I'd be getting a refund on my season ticket. It's not just a step backwards. It's Marty f'in McFly reversing his DeLorean into the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

There's a reason his teams follow up every half decent season with a shit one. Because he has total disregard for tomorrow. He would not get this team into the playoffs and even if he did, they'd be absolutely ripped apart the season after as he does not have a sustainable approach. He also can't win games anymore, which is mad for somebody who wants to win at any cost with no thought to the next game
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 23, 2024 4:24 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 3:12 pm
Mate, you can wish for people like Ainsworth all you like. If we removed Evatt to bring him in tomorrow, I'd be getting a refund on my season ticket. It's not just a step backwards. It's Marty f'in McFly reversing his DeLorean into the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

There's a reason his teams follow up every half decent season with a shit one. Because he has total disregard for tomorrow. He would not get this team into the playoffs and even if he did, they'd be absolutely ripped apart the season after as he does not have a sustainable approach. He also can't win games anymore, which is mad for somebody who wants to win at any cost with no thought to the next game
Equally missing out on promotion season after season isn’t ever going to be sustainable.

I absolutely hear your point. But he has promoted a side from this division with far fewer resources than he’d have here.

Most of all I just want someone who is desperate to win, will do anything to do so and isn’t focussed so much on some sort of ‘but at least we played the right way’ mantra.

That does not have to be Ainsworth. I’d just like a tougher approach.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm

I think my favourite aspect of the Gareth Ainsworth suggestion is that one of the complaints about Evatt is he can't adapt his football.

In terms of adaptability to different habitats Ian Evatt is a footballing triffid vs the hoofball Orchid that is Gareth Ainsworth.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm
I think my favourite aspect of the Gareth Ainsworth suggestion is that one of the complaints about Evatt is he can't adapt his football.

In terms of adaptability to different habitats Ian Evatt is a footballing triffid vs the hoofball Orchid that is Gareth Ainsworth.
Splice 'um, job sorted :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 23, 2024 5:37 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:37 pm

We've been missing some reason in it's purest form in this "Narrative" Hobe's. I'm relying on you to say how it is mate. Hope you're well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 4:56 pm
Given Gareth's rep he may have offered Ian the chance to "splice" at some stage.

Keys in the bowl, Evatt...