Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Yeah, Amoateng is a strange one. There was also some IE quote about him not being a trialist, so no clue what is going on. I suppose him scoring in friendlies doesn't mean he is impressing in training and he could just be making up numbers until he finds a club, but it is odd.

On Adam, I don't know if I'd be excited or not. I never do get excited by older players signing, but he's undoubted got more "quality" than anyone on our books. It's not like he's a Gary Speed or Gareth Barry type who has kept himself in peak condition, though. He has the brain and technical ability to boss L2, it's whether he can cover yards.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm
Yeah, Amoateng is a strange one. There was also some IE quote about him not being a trialist, so no clue what is going on. I suppose him scoring in friendlies doesn't mean he is impressing in training and he could just be making up numbers until he finds a club, but it is odd.
It's odd that we don't seem to be trying anybody else out. And let's be honest, in the two games against league opponents he's scored one penalty, so it's hard to imagine Barcelona banging on his door. Whatever, it's odd that he's not signed yet, and however it works out I hope we get someone sorted soonish: Doyler and Fonz are linking well, but beyond that we seem to be on a trialist, a limping Faal and King's Arms, who we all thought was a midfielder.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm
On Adam, I don't know if I'd be excited or not. I never do get excited by older players signing, but he's undoubted got more "quality" than anyone on our books. It's not like he's a Gary Speed or Gareth Barry type who has kept himself in peak condition, though. He has the brain and technical ability to boss L2, it's whether he can cover yards.
Think I'd be equal parts worried and excited. As you say, you can imagine him bossing some games, maybe particularly coming on when we're a goal up to exploit the gaps the oppo leaves with accurate passes. And in some games we expect to dominate, as I said when I first randomly floated the idea of signing him, he could be the third centre-back (but not really), orchestrating from deep. I wouldn't expect that many minutes from him over the season though so it might be an actuarial decision given salary cap.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Like I said in another thread, when you look at our bench for today's friendly it doesn't look capable of turning a game around. Amoateng seems the sort that might be good for the odd game to try and develop, but no sure I'd want to rely on him. Adam would make that bench (and in some games the 11) much stronger, but we still need a decent forward.

There are quite a few floating about from the lower leagues and Scotland. Osman Sow and that sort are likely out of reach with the salary cap, but I'm sure IE and Phoenix will know who they want from the available freebies. I don't think we can do fees yet, can we?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 pm

No mate, no fees yet for at least another season.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:55 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:46 pm
No mate, no fees yet for at least another season.
Thought not. Barrow will be pleased he can't poach.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:09 pm

I actually think one of the conditions of them releasing him from his contract was that we don't sign any of their under-contract plauyers for two years.

I agree with you that we still seem light on squad depth, and I wonder if the lack of triallists and even rumoured targets means we're planning to take bring in a few highly-rated youngsters on loan later in the transfer window?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:46 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:09 pm
I actually think one of the conditions of them releasing him from his contract was that we don't sign any of their under-contract plauyers for two years.

I agree with you that we still seem light on squad depth, and I wonder if the lack of triallists and even rumoured targets means we're planning to take bring in a few highly-rated youngsters on loan later in the transfer window?
That was a wise clause, by the looks of it. Seems to like players he knows.

This looks a professional set-up, so I'd expect we have lists of potential loans if we don't get bodies in. I don't think that's Plan A, though. I'd expect IE wants his picks in as soon as and Phoenix will want players we can make a few quid from. Just guessing, obviously.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Perhaps we're just waiting for the fag end of the window, when players and agents start to get a little more desperate?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 pm
Perhaps we're just waiting for the fag end of the window, when players and agents start to get a little more desperate?
Going purely off the IE quotes I've seen, I'd say not. He seems to want them in now, but he's said a lot about having a value in mind and some players not going for it. Makes me think money is the main issue, which is fair enough. I've have enough of bankruptcy.

What I will say is that having watched a good few hours of Barrow under Evatt now (not exactly a PhD in IE football, I know) I think we are lacking a physical presence up front. Doyle and Delfouneso might be a great pairing, I don't know, but all this "Barrowcelona" stuff I was reading doesn't match up with just how important Quigley was to getting them up the pitch and making space for runners. They played some good stuff for non-league, but they mixed it up.

We don't really have a play maker in midfield and we don't have a target man, so it'll be interesting to see how we break teams down if they play compact and hit us on the break. Will also be interesting to see who will put their boot in when it gets messy.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:05 am

Evatt might want them in quickly but as Harry Genshaw points out - transfer windows are as much about timing as anything else. That goes for both clubs and players. A club's best targets might well hold out before signing if they think there's a good chance a better offer coming in, and players tends to suddenly become available very late on once clubs begin finalise their squads.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:51 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:05 am
Evatt might want them in quickly but as Harry Genshaw points out - transfer windows are as much about timing as anything else. That goes for both clubs and players. A club's best targets might well hold out before signing if they think there's a good chance a better offer coming in, and players tends to suddenly become available very late on once clubs begin finalise their squads.
Yup, but I can't see Evatt hanging about if a player turns us down. It may well be that we go without a drag in a couple of desperate players late on, as Big Sam used to; but unless the "train them until they drop" stuff is propaganda I think we'll run through our options to try and get lads in as soon as.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am

Might as well just take a couple of loans on until Christmas to bolster the squad if the right players aren't available now. Then squad places can be available in the new year if they're no.good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am
Might as well just take a couple of loans on until Christmas to bolster the squad if the right players aren't available now. Then squad places can be available in the new year if they're no.good.
You'd think they'd want to try and get a promising striker in, unless that is Amoateng. My understand is that the "moneyball" ethos is that we need young lads we own to come through and get sold on regularly. Doyle and Delf have no meaningful resale value to us and strikers are usually where the money is. Loans are great if it gets you considerably more quality than you could get on your own (Sturridge, Wilshere etc) and help you get promoted...not sure the club philosophy will work if we fill out the squad with loans.

If they don't fancy anyone that's available, that changes thing, obviously.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 pm

^^ You'd think us and he have had a fair amount of time to sort something out...feels like one of us aren't too keen...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 pm
^^ You'd think us and he have had a fair amount of time to sort something out...feels like one of us aren't too keen...
If it was the club presumably he'd have been fired off before now like Bunney.
We're in league 2 so I don't mind us being 2nd 3rd or 4th choice, as long as they don't think they're doing us a favour or slumming it if they sign.
It is odd though.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:08 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am
You'd think they'd want to try and get a promising striker in, unless that is Amoateng. My understand is that the "moneyball" ethos is that we need young lads we own to come through and get sold on regularly. Doyle and Delf have no meaningful resale value to us and strikers are usually where the money is. Loans are great if it gets you considerably more quality than you could get on your own (Sturridge, Wilshere etc) and help you get promoted...not sure the club philosophy will work if we fill out the squad with loans.

If they don't fancy anyone that's available, that changes thing, obviously.
I mean last minute short term loans to up the body count as cover, rather than being stuck with someone you're not sure about on a 12 month deal. If preferred targets can't be got that is.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:53 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:11 pm
I mean last minute short term loans to up the body count as cover, rather than being stuck with someone you're not sure about on a 12 month deal. If preferred targets can't be got that is.
Yeah, I've no doubt they will have looked at who might be available if they are short at the end of the window.

Hopefully IE gets his targets next week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Sounds like Charlie Adam is a no-go. Said to have “left the building” amid interest from various Scottish clubs.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:06 pm
Sounds like Charlie Adam is a no-go. Said to have “left the building” amid interest from various Scottish clubs.
Supposedly offered a deal by his boyhood club. Best of luck to him, in that case.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 am

Looks like Callum King-Harmes has gone on loan to Bamber Bridge. He scored their only goal in a friendly with Chorley yesterday. Would imagine it’s the same arrangement with George Thomason - whereby he trains with us during the week and plays for them on Saturday.

Might be nice if the club told us these things.