Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:34 am

It's interesting that folk are still insisting we do, in fact, want Onomah.

Would be fun to know what's going on there. I wonder if his agent has guaranteed him a gig before the end of the month and is getting a bit desperate.

That or our public disinterest is a negotiating tactic.

I do love January.

Perhaps he's still at the "I know what I'm worth" stage and the market disagrees.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:12 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:35 pm
Bizzarely enough, I was contemplating why Australia were in the African Cup of Nations, until pretty recently, when I twigged he wasn't... :oops:
They qualified via Eurovision.
:lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:01 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:55 am
If it's "Well, we need to shift finance to centre half now, so we can't get that striker in" that's arse.
I do slightly worry that the Ennis deal dragging has happened at the same time. Maybe literally coincidence.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:34 am
It's interesting that folk are still insisting we do, in fact, want Onomah. [...] Perhaps he's still at the "I know what I'm worth" stage and the market disagrees.
Market's disagreed for a while now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:27 am

Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:01 am
Market's disagreed for a while now.
"Don't worry, clubs will get desperate in January" can be good advice...sometimes.

IF there is some truth to us having made him an offer then he'd be the natural sacrifice if we need to fund a centre half.

A midfielder who hasn't even trained in months is the lowest priority, even if the long term benefits of a player of that level are sky high.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:35 pm

I'm sorta loving the Post Office thing. One, it wasn't us. Two, it's a long way from unique. Three, the best wisdom today is almost certainly fcuked in 20 years time. :-)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:27 am

This Ennis deal seems to be dragging on. He’s apparently on £10k pw at Blackburn, so maybe they’re looking for a salary contribution that we’re unwilling to meet. Anyway, we need players in, so perhaps we need to move onto alternative targets.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:27 am
This Ennis deal seems to be dragging on. He’s apparently on £10k pw at Blackburn, so maybe they’re looking for a salary contribution that we’re unwilling to meet. Anyway, we need players in, so perhaps we need to move onto alternative targets.
That would be in line with Evatt saying, "We know what we want and the value we want it at" or whatever the quote was.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:34 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 am
The_Gun wrote:
That would be in line with Evatt saying, "We know what we want and the value we want it at" or whatever the quote was.
He’s also insisted he’ll never promise game time to any player, which immediately made me suspect either Ennis or Blackburn making demands. Personally I’d imagine we’d use him as first or second sub every game until he’s ready to start, but clearly there’s blue water between the negotiating sides and we aren’t anyone’s on-demand rehab centre. Coupled with the huge wage gap between our division and the madhouse above, it’s a problem.

FWIW, Nixon says the deal’s delay/derailment is down to minutes and money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:54 pm

Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:34 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
He’s also insisted he’ll never promise game time to any player, which immediately made me suspect either Ennis or Blackburn making demands. Personally I’d imagine we’d use him as first or second sub every game until he’s ready to start, but clearly there’s blue water between the negotiating sides and we aren’t anyone’s on-demand rehab centre. Coupled with the huge wage gap between our division and the madhouse above, it’s a problem.

You’d have to ask why a club would lend us a player without either cash or the benefit of plenty of playing time.

If neither is on the table then I can’t imagine we are an attractive option.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:04 pm

We are still in an excellent position to gain an automatic spot, but the gamble to go in light in the summer is now catching up. We will not get a better chance than this IMO. It's not my money to spend but there must be some of the bond money left (there has to be....) and the Swiss investment money.

IMO if the board has serious ambitions to get into the championship then they have to dig deep & find the money for 2 or 3 decent players who would seriously improve the starting X1. We have so many games left to play in such a short space of time the current team will become tired & fatigued as yesterday showed.

With 10/11 days remaining in the Jan window, its sh*t or bust for me.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

You’d have to ask why a club would lend us a player without either cash or the benefit of plenty of playing time.

I did think when I read it that it wasn't the greatest communication from Evatt.

Not that it's technically wrong - I imagine either for us or the majority of others - but I could understand how it might put clubs off.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:32 pm

Blackburn supposedly don't intend to use Ennis. He will lose value if they don't get him on loan and playing at least some games.

So, if ours is the best/only offer on the table, they have some maths to do. How much money do they make/save having him on loan with us vs playing in their reserves.

If we pick up half his wages and he depreciates less it could be worth £300k to them all in.

If Other Jon will actually use him should he stay it's less of an issue for them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:43 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:04 pm
We are still in an excellent position to gain an automatic spot, but the gamble to go in light in the summer is now catching up. We will not get a better chance than this IMO. It's not my money to spend but there must be some of the bond money left (there has to be....) and the Swiss investment money.

IMO if the board has serious ambitions to get into the championship then they have to dig deep & find the money for 2 or 3 decent players who would seriously improve the starting X1. We have so many games left to play in such a short space of time the current team will become tired & fatigued as yesterday showed.

With 10/11 days remaining in the Jan window, its sh*t or bust for me.
I don’t disagree but given they’ve already let them spend over a million in fees with pretty scant return I’m not sure that even if they had the money it would make the difference we’d want.

Firstly any signing we make seems to be a slow burn.

Secondly I don’t think theyve done that well with money.

The issue is that short if a loan there aren’t any good deals in January, the summer was when we needed to stock up. Now it’s a patch up job or beg and borrow someone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

Is he ready for “plenty”? He made half his appearances last season from the bench and has spent this season in the sick bay or the U21s.

They can, if they prefer, continue to pay him the full £10kpw to play with the kids. Not my money, not my circus.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:43 pm
The issue is that short if a loan there aren’t any good deals in January, the summer was when we needed to stock up. Now it’s a patch up job or beg and borrow someone.
We’ve signed plenty players this time of year that have done us well - from memory I can think of Lee, John, Dapo, Demps, Morley, Fossey, Traff, Bod and Dion. I agree it’s a risk but it’s not a no-chancer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm

Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
We’ve signed plenty players this time of year that have done us well - from memory I can think of Lee, John, Dapo, Demps, Morley, Fossey, Traff, Bod and Dion. I agree it’s a risk but it’s not a no-chancer.
Sure - fair few were loans though. And the circumstances were different, finding someone ready to step right into a promotion charge in January for value…it isn’t impossible but not common either.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:10 pm

Both members of a strike partnership that's pushing for promotion were January signings.

20 of our 45 goals.

Seems to be a pretty solid return on our investment and there's still improvement there.

People can complain that we shouldn't have re-signed Bodvarsson, but he's helped out in the cups and will hopefully come good in the league. To throw mud at the lads actually doing the work every week seems an odd call. They're currently earning their corn.

The current need is to cover for an injury. We're still paying 5 strikers (albeit Jerome's reputed to be on more of a staff wage level), so it's hardly surprising we're looking for value as we stretch the budget to cover. It then has to stretch further to deal with Forrester being out.

Short of giving Ocean finance a call we're probably going to have to take a few risks.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sure - fair few were loans though. And the circumstances were different, finding someone ready to step right into a promotion charge in January for value…it isn’t impossible but not common either.
TBH mate loanees would do me fine. I just don’t want us short.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 am

Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TBH mate loanees would do me fine. I just don’t want us short.
Yeah me too. But my issue is that any good loan now will want either some sense they will get plenty of games OR their club want to offload their wages to bring someone else in and will shove them out the door to whoever is prepared to pay.

If we aren’t waving the cash about and are saying that anyone we bring in isn’t likely to get that much playing time unless something goes wrong then it’s a bit of a conundrum as to how we get quality, able to improve us loans through the door.

Fossey is a case in point - he came cos we offered games to establish his fitness. But Blackburn may look at ennis and say ‘well if you aren’t offsetting a good chunk of his wages we at least want assurance he starts most games’ which is exactly what I’d do if I were them.

This is why I don’t think January is a good market for us in the situation we are in. Mid table and struggling then sure. We can take some risks or sign up those out of contract in the summer on reduced fees because we need improvement. But I don’t see this scenario the same.

We need a quality injection in a couple of areas to help out numbers but also just provide that boost. If we don’t have the money for it though……

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:24 am

We SHOULD have the money for it though, shouldn't we?

I agree that we need numbers in to help us, but no point in them not being as good as anybody else. We need Improvements. Players who will improve the XI, not just beef up the bench.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"