owen out 2012/2013

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: owen out 2012/2013

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:10 pm

Non existent midfield yet again. It makes my blood boil.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:18 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jaffka wrote:Another weekend without a win, Coyle out.
Didn't lose either....he gets a weeks reprieve for me.
aye.. clean sheet has to be worth summat!
Kevin Davies still got booked though.
once again, mavies disappeared...

You got me set on ignore?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:50 pm

P.O.S. wrote:I went to Rochdale 0-1 Burton Albion with a Dale supporting workmate. Fancied something a bit different, instead a got a team with no attacking ideas and a stand full of people calling for the managers head!
Blimey they have only 50% of our problems :shock:

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:While I too despair at the backroom staff – and more pertinently the team performances they're designed to maximise - I have a question, or rather a nest of questions.

When we sacked Megson, how many of the backroom staff went with him (either resigned or sacked)? And how many went once caretakers Chris Evans and Steve Wigley were pushed aside for Coyle?

As BWFCi says, managers should be allowed to pick their own backroom team. I'm just wondering how many holes Coyle had to fill, and how many 'duplicates' were railroaded in – eg Cliff Roberts for Colin Harvey, arguably Phil Hughes for Fred Barber, etc...
Coyle wanted his entire team in. Which in some cases "Barber as an example" caused problems.

I honestly think there is a strong correlation with Barber not being as involved with our keepers (and now having left) and them going shit.

Barber was a top top, coach and since his influence has waned we've seen Jussi look shaky and Bogdan from a promising start look like he's never seen a cross in his life before.
This sort of professional and forward-thinking approach seems a long time ago now...:
http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/m ... pe=article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 am

Good read. How times have changed. I wonder where we would be if BSA was still at the club?

Is Mike Forde still with Chelsea?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 am

That does seem a long time ago! We swapped cutting edge thinking with ping pong.

If nothing changes we'll be mid-table, probably lose some of the bigger players and be a year closer to losing parachute money. We're not looking like automatic promotion so 3rd or below gives the same outcome unless we go up. You'd think that if it looks like we're off-course for promotion we'd make a change, but who knows these days.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:48 am

A lot was said about owen signing championship players meaning we ended up a championship side.

I think the backroom staff may well be league two standard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm

And the scouting operation has gone through the roof," said Forde. "We've created a no-excuse environment which will allow our players to flourish. The squad has gone from 80% British to 80% foreign and we ensure whoever we bring here can settle. It's about the small things: opening bank accounts, finding schools or houses, showing them where they can eat out or where their local mosque or church is.

"But we also offer a unique experience. At one stage our squad boasted 25 championships, two World Cups and seven Champions Leagues. Fernando Hierro had played for Real Madrid for 14 years but his desire to plan for a career beyond playing - like Gary Speed - meant that he recognised us as a fantastic opportunity to learn from our coaching, sports-science and game-analysis techniques.

"Last year every member of our squad had played on average for six different teams, eight managers and in 250 games. We looked at where they had each been most successful and picked out anything we could from that environment we could replicate here. It's a very deductive process, but it might be the smallest thing. A player might have come from a bigger club where he was a fringe player and he might relish having a bigger role here.

"Our screening process is so extensive. We recruit possibly eight players every year on, say, an average wage of £1m. If you went into the private sector, the due diligence around recruiting someone on that amount would be incredible, but we're making the same investment here so we have to be as thorough. It's actually quite difficult to sign for this club because of the due diligence we undertake."

Those recruited benefit from a revamped training ground, complete with tranquil suites with Chinese medicine techniques to hand. The international players are accompanied by club masseurs, fitness staff or nutritionists when abroad with their countries. "We can't control the environment they're in when they're away but we can influence it. We want to keep them thinking: 'I am a Bolton player.' It's about making the players feel wanted and creating the conditions for success. You can never guarantee you'll win, but how can you take away the excuses for failure?"

Oh how times have changed

Fookin' Gartside!!!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Mike Forde wrote:We've created a no-excuse environment which will allow our players to flourish. The squad has gone from 80% British to 80% foreign and we ensure whoever we bring here can settle. It's about the small things: opening bank accounts, finding schools or houses, showing them where they can eat out or where their local mosque or church is.
Tim Ream in the Independent wrote:These feelings were particularly intense during his first two months playing for Bolton when he was living in a hotel inside the stadium. His wife had spent some time with him during that period, but was mainly back in the States as she began the process of moving the couple's belongings to Bolton. It was an experience that Ream never wants to go through again.

"It was the most boring time of my life," Ream says before chuckling. "I had no way of getting around. You basically don't know anything around where you are. So it's a lot of trial and error. Lots of error." The jovial Ream is still laughing, reminiscing through the awful food he forced himself to eat day in and day out.

"Eating at the same places, eating the same things for two months, it's a struggle," he says. "I don't think I have had a Nando's since. I had it probably four or five times a week during that time. I actually started, and this is horrible, I started resorting to McDonald's, which was awful."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Aye it's pretty damning stuff that. We've gone from looking after every detail to seemingly a completely relaxed approach.

Interesting that Mike Forde was heading out irrespective of Allardyce staying or going as Chelsea had headhunted him. Presumably Allardyce has replaced him within his setup.

It's ok though, we have the fat kit man, presumably helping out with squad conditioning as well.....

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Mike Forde wrote:We've created a no-excuse environment which will allow our players to flourish. The squad has gone from 80% British to 80% foreign and we ensure whoever we bring here can settle. It's about the small things: opening bank accounts, finding schools or houses, showing them where they can eat out or where their local mosque or church is.
Tim Ream in the Independent wrote:These feelings were particularly intense during his first two months playing for Bolton when he was living in a hotel inside the stadium. His wife had spent some time with him during that period, but was mainly back in the States as she began the process of moving the couple's belongings to Bolton. It was an experience that Ream never wants to go through again.

"It was the most boring time of my life," Ream says before chuckling. "I had no way of getting around. You basically don't know anything around where you are. So it's a lot of trial and error. Lots of error." The jovial Ream is still laughing, reminiscing through the awful food he forced himself to eat day in and day out.

"Eating at the same places, eating the same things for two months, it's a struggle," he says. "I don't think I have had a Nando's since. I had it probably four or five times a week during that time. I actually started, and this is horrible, I started resorting to McDonald's, which was awful."
Makes you wonder whether steinsson could have been helped more with his alleged difficulties? Especially considering he was a 3.5 million investment that we ended up releasing for nothing...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm

I was castrated when I mentioned this 3 months ago.

Or is that castigated ??

As you were!!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I was castrated when I mentioned this 3 months ago.
well - now you and BWFCi can be castrato-buddies! good for you!!

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Aye it's pretty damning stuff that. We've gone from looking after every detail to seemingly a completely relaxed approach.
Interesting that Mike Forde was heading out irrespective of Allardyce staying or going as Chelsea had headhunted him. Presumably Allardyce has replaced him within his setup.

It's ok though, we have the fat kit man, presumably helping out with squad conditioning as well.....
It's not even a relaxed approach. It's an indifferent who gives a feck approach. How the hell do you pay out 2.5 mil on someone then leave them dumped in a hotel eating burgers and going nuts. Thats blindingly short sighted.

What's the deal here. Coyle uses his amazing powers of persuasion gets a signing then leaves them high and dry. Makes you wonder what he tells them before they sign.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:55 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Tim Ream in the Independent wrote: "It was the most boring time of my life," Ream says before chuckling. "I had no way of getting around. You basically don't know anything around where you are. So it's a lot of trial and error. Lots of error." The jovial Ream is still laughing, reminiscing through the awful food he forced himself to eat day in and day out.

the puff

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 am

McGinlay said: “The fans don’t see what goes on behind closed doors.
“They don’t see what the manager has had cut off his budget, what he has had to do and what he has to work with".
“You can see what he is trying to do, he’s trying to put together a young and hungry team that wants to go out and do well for Bolton Wanderers".
“That is going to take time, it doesn’t happen overnight".
“Owen lives and breathes football and I’m sure this club will do well".
“It’s been a transitional period recently".
“He’s had to change the budget and wages have been cut".
“You have to cut your cloth accordingly when you come down from the Premier League".
“But I do think it has given the club the opportunity to get itself on the right footing for the future.”
Sorry John, what a load of bollox!

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:04 am

he's bin a megson outer in the past and has also bin a pro-coyle zealot for ages.

you'd think he were biased or brainwashed or summat

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 am

a1 wrote:he's bin a megson outer in the past and has also bin a pro-coyle zealot for ages.

you'd think he were biased or brainwashed or summat
At least I'm consistant :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 am

Mike Forde said rather than wrote:Our screening process is so extensive. We recruit possibly eight players every year on, say, an average wage of £1m. If you went into the private sector, the due diligence around recruiting someone on that amount would be incredible, but we're making the same investment here so we have to be as thorough. It's actually quite difficult to sign for this club because of the due diligence we undertake.
Yet more reason to salute Oscar Perez.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:52 am

Ianmooreslovechild wrote:
It's not even a relaxed approach. It's an indifferent who gives a feck approach. How the hell do you pay out 2.5 mil on someone then leave them dumped in a hotel eating burgers and going nuts. Thats blindingly short sighted.
conversely... what kind of professional sets off to a new country to play football as a professional in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world... and sits on his arse eating burgers and KFC??