Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 11:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:43 am
Ghost-admired Tyreece Simpson are also out of contract this summer but have not had their futures confirmed by the club.
Increasingly unlikely he will sign the new terms they offered him and that those terms were offered as a formality to they don't wave their fee.

I mean, it's football, anything can happen; but you'd imagine he has an idea where he's going. Cambridge will have gone in strong for him, so it'll all be interesting.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri May 06, 2022 11:56 am

The aforementioned Dom Ball released by QPR, would be a real coup if we could land him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 12:01 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:56 am
The aforementioned Dom Ball released by QPR, would be a real coup if we could land him.
Yup. Though he's about the Wiganest signing that was ever Wigan.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Also Charlie Austin, David Marshall, Dillon Barnes, Lee Wallace and Keiren Westwood. Contract chats with Uncle Albert Adomah, Yoann Barbet, Moses Odubajo, Charlie Owens and Olamide Shodipo. The latter is the rapid winger who hit double figures for Oxford last season but had this season's loan at Wednesday interrupted by injury and deregistration.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri May 06, 2022 2:47 pm

Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Also Charlie Austin, David Marshall, Dillon Barnes, Lee Wallace and Keiren Westwood. Contract chats with Uncle Albert Adomah, Yoann Barbet, Moses Odubajo, Charlie Owens and Olamide Shodipo. The latter is the rapid winger who hit double figures for Oxford last season but had this season's loan at Wednesday interrupted by injury and deregistration.
Would Mssrs Austin and Westwood not be good picks for us? Or am I years behind the times on them...?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 06, 2022 2:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:47 pm
Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Would Mssrs Austin and Westwood not be good picks for us? Or am I years behind the times on them...?
Westwood's 38 this year, so even for a goalkeeper he's no spring chicken

Austin turns 33 in summer too

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Antony Hartigan has formally turned down the Wombles contract offer and buggered off.

We have been keeping tabs on him for about 18 months. It seems he is Championship-bound, but you never know. Our interest in Jack Rudoni may or may not have solidified.

As ever with silly season, any player we have talked to or looked at in the past year will start to float to the surface as people struggle for content in the off season.

With the club not leaking like a sieve anymore it's a case of wait and see. The other clubs do leak, though, and it's interesting to know what players we look at to try and figure out the sorts of players we're looking for.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri May 06, 2022 3:08 pm

Oh, not that we didn't already know this, but the position in Cambridge is that Iredale is now a Bolton player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 3:45 pm

The people saying the Championship is a vast chasm that can only be assailed with massive investment should probably have a look at Luton town's final league position.

Screenshot 2022-05-07 153310.png
Screenshot 2022-05-07 153310.png (81.97 KiB) Viewed 525 times

If we have similar ambitions it's important to look at this summer's window in terms of that division in future seasons. This season for Luton should remove any doubt that Evatt's "Prem in 5 years", though massively difficult, isn't impossible. One of Luton's starting 11 in their final game this season joined them in League Two. He could be a Premier League player next season. What a story.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2022 4:33 pm

For the record, I'm not saying the Champo can only be assailed with massive investment. I'm just saying that most clubs in there operate on suicidal financial terms.
Ey_nDH5XEAAJhzy.jpg
Ey_nDH5XEAAJhzy.jpg (288.11 KiB) Viewed 513 times
If we go up, we (the club) have to avoid that. It's more important than avoiding relegation. But we (the fans) have to acknowledge that it's a division where many of our opponents will be spending like sailors on shore leave. Whisper it, but we might not be the biggest deal in town. So we'd just have to adjust our expectations.

Hats off to the Hatters, and all. Huddersfield, too, give hope. Thank the mercies, it is not yet a league wherein there is an inflexible correlation (and causation) between expenditure and finishing position. I just pray for patience when we get there, rather than Stop Fannying About And Knock It Long And Play For A Draw.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 5:15 pm

Sat May 07, 2022 4:33 pm
I just pray for patience when we get there, rather than Stop Fannying About And Knock It Long And Play For A Draw.
Bloody Leicester fans were after Rogers with that yesterday.

I mean it's absolutely going to happen at the first sign of a blip, because some people are just waiting for the first chance to moan; but hopefully he's earning enough credit that the majority will stick by him. He has turned around two slumps and that builds belief.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2022 5:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:15 pm
I mean it's absolutely going to happen at the first sign of a blip, because some people are just waiting for the first chance to moan; but hopefully he's earning enough credit that the majority will stick by him. He has turned around two slumps and that builds belief.
Belief in some, but others lose faith easier. Plenty rags lost last October-December, despite the promotion six months earlier. If we do go up and losses mount, folk forget fast. "He's run his course," "hit his ceiling" etc.

But in the end it's not so much the manager, much as I enjoy his football style. I would rather go down watch stultifying long-ball one-win-in-three-months shite than risk my club by overspending. I trust the process, and I hope he doesn't get ambitions beyond our scope; but if he does, better he goes than we do. The club is bigger than any of us.

Maybe I should start a Pessimist's Guide to 2023/24... :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 5:47 pm

In other news, Antony Evans just got Bristol Rovers promoted.

I still can't believe he was allowed to play at that level. Another case of managers seeing a player's flaws and not the fact that he's almost unplayable at times when given the right role.

If he doesn't rip up League One next season it won't be for lack of ability.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2022 6:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:47 pm

I still can't believe he was allowed to play at that level. Another case of managers seeing a player's flaws and not the fact that he's almost unplayable at times when given the right role.

Some story that. ICYMI, they were five goals behind Northampton, who did their bit by winning 3-1 at Barrow. Rovers won 7-0. Scunny's last game in the league. Wonder what their gaffer said.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Sat May 07, 2022 6:03 pm
Some story that. ICYMI, they were five goals behind Northampton, who did their bit by winning 3-1 at Barrow. Rovers won 7-0. Scunny's last game in the league. Wonder what their gaffer said.
"Give me Antony Evans and 10 pieces of wood and I'll get you out of League Two."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 pm

He's still a free agent in summer, as far as I can see.

And like Elias Kachunga, he has previously played for our twin-town team Paderborn (although they tried to turn him into a right-back).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat May 07, 2022 6:13 pm

Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 pm
He's still a free agent in summer, as far as I can see.

And like Elias Kachunga, he has previously played for our twin-town team Paderborn (although they tried to turn him into a right-back).
I have no idea if we think he'd fit our system, but he's an exceptional player. He's big and slow and has had injury players, but he's also strong as an ox, skilful and has Premier League match intelligence.

I'd absolutely love us to sign him, but I think it's unlikely. I know he'd ideally like to move back to the North West, but that's all I've got in terms of "Why would he end up here?"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 07, 2022 10:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61365153

I can tell you what scunny's gaffer said...
"The club need to show bravery. They can throw me under the bus if they want, like most clubs do - I got thrown under the bus [at Tranmere] last season and I got thrown under the bus at Bolton. You clean a club up and then you get thrown out.

"But it needs cleansing. It needs somebody like me to make sure there's a successful future."
Wasn't a fan for a long while, but thank goodness for Evatt 😁

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 08, 2022 6:37 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:40 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61365153

I can tell you what scunny's gaffer said...
"The club need to show bravery. They can throw me under the bus if they want, like most clubs do - I got thrown under the bus [at Tranmere] last season and I got thrown under the bus at Bolton. You clean a club up and then you get thrown out.

"But it needs cleansing. It needs somebody like me to make sure there's a successful future."
Wasn't a fan for a long while, but thank goodness for Evatt 😁
Someone could have a go at explaining exactly what cleansing Keith Hill did here? We had no players. He signed a load. They weren’t good enough in many cases - though I’d not really blame hill for that as he had to sign whoever he could. The team went down.

I’ve no idea what he thinks he cleansed but the man was odious from the start in my book.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun May 08, 2022 9:36 am

Such an explanation does not exist, sorry! The article was sent to me by my Tranmere mate, who holds a similar view to us.

Anyway, onwards and upwards eh!