The Debt.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Debt.

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Aaaaaaaand I'm out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 pm

You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:04 am

Eddie Davies is not a philanthropist. He puts his money into things because he wants more back. He's a clever bastard who's managed to convine people he's not got as much money as he has and that he's willing to part with it for no good reason.
Last edited by boltonboris on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:06 am

I'm not sure what it is that he's upto, but he along with Gartside are using this club as a tool for something else.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 am

boltonboris wrote:Eddie Davies is not a philanthropist. He ours his money into things because he wants more back. He's a clever bastard who's managed to secure people into thinking he's not got as much money as he has and that he's willing to part with it for no good reason.
+1

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 am

This is all getting very illogical and conspiracy theorist.

For me the most likely scenario is that Eddie put money in initially a relatively small amount to help the club out, because he was a fan who could afford to do so. Then over time he put more in as things were a success. Over time it got to the point where the club ran beyond its own means and Eddie was asked to make up the shortfall, which he did, presumably rather than see us go under and him lose everything he'd already sunk in.

However, as the money was put in, the team began to do worse until we were finally relegated etc. Now he has decided whether due to FFP or other reasons that he wants the club to stand on its own two feet and live "by its means" again. Presumably until he can sell it or indefinitely if he can't.

Personally I think admnistration is a nonsense any time soon, and the notion that there is some grand plan where Eddie gets more rich out of this is equally bizarre. I suspect if he had his time again he'd have stopped well before coughing up to sign Anelka.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 am

He's not a fan though is he really?

Did he stand on the terraces as a kid? Did he ever go to matches?

Not to say you have to go to the matches to be a 'proper fan'. But you certainly have the have experienced football support first hand in order to throw 10's and 100's of millions of pounds in.

I can't imagine I'd ever invest in something that I only see as preferable to something else rather than something I'm extremely passionate about, if I had his sort of money

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

boltonboris wrote:He's not a fan though is he really?

Did he stand on the terraces as a kid? Did he ever go to matches?

Not to say you have to go to the matches to be a 'proper fan'. But you certainly have the have experienced football support first hand in order to throw 10's and 100's of millions of pounds in.

I can't imagine I'd ever invest in something that I only see as preferable to something else rather than something I'm extremely passionate about, if I had his sort of money
I don't know but he was born in Bolton and grew up there as far as I know, so why not?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:39 am

I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

I would argue that from other things Davies does, that he is philanthropic. There's the Eddie Davies Library, the Academy, the V&A etc.

I can recall when Swinton RL got taken over by a builder, that was clearly not philanthropic and felt completely different.

Do I think there are some tax reasons involved - yes, of course - there's no point setting up trusts in Bermuda otherwise (other than for asset protection - which is why Fildraw if a Private Trust Co.)

Do I think he's put in more than he'll get out - yes.

Do I think I'd have ever seen the likes of Campo, Hierro etc, without him - not a piss in the wind's chance.

Does all this, for me, allow him the time to try and restructure etc. Yes, No question, unless someone has a better benefactor lined up.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 am

why not? Because I'm pretty sure he's been quoted as saying something along the lines of starting to watch football about 30 years ago. Bit late to start a genuine passion. Did he even reside in Bolton then?

I'm saying we're not his favourite team, but surely it'd be pretty common knowledge if it was as fairy-tale like as you want it to be.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:45 am

boltonboris wrote:why not? Because I'm pretty sure he's been quoted as saying something along the lines of starting to watch football about 30 years ago. Bit late to start a genuine passion. Did he even reside in Bolton then?

I'm saying we're not his favourite team, but surely it'd be pretty common knowledge if it was as fairy-tale like as you want it to be.
He has said his support goes back to Nat Lofthouse's playing days.

Clearly nobody is going to know for sure. But a bloke, born in Bolton, who has donated to other Bolton causes, who has kids still in Bolton, I'd say probably he was a Bolton fan. Not definitely like. But you know, we can only talk about probabilities....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:I think the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

I would argue that from other things Davies does, that he is philanthropic. There's the Eddie Davies Library, the Academy, the V&A etc.

I can recall when Swinton RL got taken over by a builder, that was clearly not philanthropic and felt completely different.

Do I think there are some tax reasons involved - yes, of course - there's no point setting up trusts in Bermuda otherwise (other than for asset protection - which is why Fildraw if a Private Trust Co.)

Do I think he's put in more than he'll get out - yes.

Do I think I'd have ever seen the likes of Campo, Hierro etc, without him - not a piss in the wind's chance.

Does all this, for me, allow him the time to try and restructure etc. Yes, No question, unless someone has a better benefactor lined up.
Oh and absolutely this.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Shale gas! I'm telling you! :mrgreen:

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:08 pm

against the backdop of comments on EDs support/ our debt, thought the article/ table in the daily fail shone quite a light on the cost of competing to stay in the PL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... harts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clearly Newcastle have a fantastic set up in terms of buy low/ sell high

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:This is all getting very illogical and conspiracy theorist.
To which you are also adding your own individual ilogicality and conspiracy theories to.

Posted for clarites sake.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:This is all getting very illogical and conspiracy theorist.
To which you are also adding your own individual ilogicality and conspiracy theories to.

Posted for clarites sake.
↑↑↑↑

Is that the Gran Reserva speaking LK ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Not yet, i've just spilled some on the carpet. Its now a race against time, before she returns, to hide the evidence! Bloody wine.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Not yet, i've just spilled some on the carpet. Its now a race against time, before she returns, to hide the evidence! Bloody wine.
Salt and vinegar, that cleans red wine stains.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah, I've already had the salt on. Just fairy liquided it. Best cleaner in the world.

gavlat2872
Promising
Promising

Post by gavlat2872 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:against the backdop of comments on EDs support/ our debt, thought the article/ table in the daily fail shone quite a light on the cost of competing to stay in the PL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... harts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clearly Newcastle have a fantastic set up in terms of buy low/ sell high
read the article, but found this link at the bottom of the page and made me chuckle........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/video- ... r-him.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;