Davies & Cahill in the England Squad

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
as wrote:Rooney will start.

Which sums up Englands problem really. He'll start despite being sh*t since Easter, and being sh*t for England for a few years now.
Care to name how many players scored more goals in World Cup qualifying games? Clue: There's only two in the world – and one plays for Fiji, scoring five in one game against Tuvalu.

Mind, you did say a few posts before that Davies wouldn't make the squad, so it's not been a great thread for you, as.

Anyway, well done to Kevin Davies. He might not make it to the pitch, he might not even make it to the bench, but Capello's selection is interestingly thoughtful and certainly explodes the half-cocked mealy-mouthed shoulder-chipped theories that Bolton players don't get considered.

Outwith the town boundaries, obviously the call-up will be moaned about by people who don't know football, but not by people who understand tactics (and therefore know that Capello's system needs a forward pivot) or people who study statistics (and therefore know that [ur=http://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/26360683152l]Kevin Davies created more goalscoring chances last season than any other Premier League striker[/url]).
I have to take issue with the middle (oops) paragraph, because if I don't, someone else will.

Carlton Cole has 8 caps for England (I nearly fell off my chair when I read that) and Emile Heskey has about 4 million. Well certainly more than 8 anyway. I completely disagree that either of those two has ever demonstated consistently they are superior players to Kevin Davies. And I mention those two because they are in his position.

All Davies' inclusion proves is that Capello is a little one dimensional in his thoughts. Emile Heskey retires? Hmmm... Call up Davies. I'm afraid it still doesn't disprove in any way the assertion that some clubs and players are looked upon more favourably than others.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 pm

as wrote:
as wrote:Rooney will start. Which sums up Englands problem really. He'll start despite being sh*t since Easter, and being sh*t for England for a few years now.
Care to name how many players scored more goals in World Cup qualifying games? Clue: There's only two in the world – and one plays for Fiji, scoring five in one game against Tuvalu.
Aye, because qualifying goals are what it's all about. And his total goals in international tournaments......?
Odd; in your first post you'd said "years" rather than "major international tournaments".

As for qualfying goals in some way not counting, you might wish to ponder whether this is really an argument you wish to pursue. When in hole, stop digging. Rooney is very far from perfect but to conveniently ignore his nine goals in 10 games is to risk looking something of an ass, as.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Anyway, Can't Control has 7 caps for England, not 8. My bad. I don't think this lessens the impact of such a stat though.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:42 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:All Davies' inclusion proves is that Capello is a little one dimensional in his thoughts. Emile Heskey retires? Hmmm... Call up Davies. I'm afraid it still doesn't disprove in any way the assertion that some clubs and players are looked upon more favourably than others.
Are all the goalposts round here on wheels? 'Cos I'm sure if I could be arsed to dig, I could find many a post on here complaining that Bolton players never get called up, blah blah blah. "It's not fair," as my nine-year-olds are prone to bleat. No, things never are completely fair. Deal with it. Capello frequently likes the option of a pivotal front man. He's trying Davies. What do you want, more ice-creams than your sister?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:but Capello's selection is interestingly thoughtful and certainly explodes the half-cocked mealy-mouthed shoulder-chipped theories that Bolton players don't get considered.
I claim my £5! :wink:

anyway - we've had KD, Cahill, Nolan and Ricketts all called up in recent times...

(PS - are your girls really 9 already???)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 pm

thebish wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:but Capello's selection is interestingly thoughtful and certainly explodes the half-cocked mealy-mouthed shoulder-chipped theories that Bolton players don't get considered.

anyway - we've had KD, Cahill, Nolan and Ricketts all called up in recent times...

Yep, they are. We're all getting older, including SKD, but sometimes good things happen in yer thirties... :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:52 pm

thebish wrote:

Yep, they are. We're all getting older, including SKD, but sometimes good things happen in yer thirties... :wink:
thirties?? left all that behind a long time ago! 8)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:All Davies' inclusion proves is that Capello is a little one dimensional in his thoughts. Emile Heskey retires? Hmmm... Call up Davies. I'm afraid it still doesn't disprove in any way the assertion that some clubs and players are looked upon more favourably than others.
Are all the goalposts round here on wheels? 'Cos I'm sure if I could be arsed to dig, I could find many a post on here complaining that Bolton players never get called up, blah blah blah. "It's not fair," as my nine-year-olds are prone to bleat. No, things never are completely fair. Deal with it. Capello frequently likes the option of a pivotal front man. He's trying Davies. What do you want, more ice-creams than your sister?
So, just to clarify, you're accepting that Bolton players of equal ability to their peers were less likely to be selected because of "unfairness""?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
So, just to clarify, you're accepting that Bolton players of equal ability to their peers were less likely to be selected because of "unfairness""?
Could be seen as unfair; depends on your viewpoint, because as grown-ups realise, there's rarely such thing as complete impartiality. I'm no big fan of Carlton Cole but I can see why a manager might consider a 26-year-old in front of a 33-year-old.

Meanwhile, much of the rest of the league seem to have their knickers in a bunch over our Kev's inclusion. It's like they think it's not fair. Seems it's all in the tear-filled eyes of the complainant.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 pm

I think you're getting a bit carried away. Its just football.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I think you're getting a bit carried away. Its just football.
I feel a Bill Shankly quote coming on but will resist the temptation

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:42 pm

'The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game
That one?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:49 pm

“When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.”

This one. :mrgreen:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:22 pm

as wrote:
as wrote:Rooney will start. Which sums up Englands problem really. He'll start despite being sh*t since Easter, and being sh*t for England for a few years now.
Aye, because qualifying goals are what it's all about. And his total goals in international tournaments......?
Odd; in your first post you'd said "years" rather than "major international tournaments".

As for qualfying goals in some way not counting, you might wish to ponder whether this is really an argument you wish to pursue. When in hole, stop digging. Rooney is very far from perfect but to conveniently ignore his nine goals in 10 games is to risk looking something of an ass, as.
You are correct, I sometimes wipe it from my memory when DMB's (especially one's I can't stand, which leaves Scholes then) score goals for En-ger-land and the pun on my username was uncalled for.

Although you arguing that Bolton player's do get called up (we've had 2 in a decade, in that time we've managed 4 top 8 finishes and 2 UEFA cup runs) is a funny one. Not remember a young Nolan banging them in during the BSA years? He didn't even make the U21's, let alone the 'real' squad.

And I don't dig holes, everyone is fully aware that I'm 99% wrong 99% of the time, I'm the spazzy darren of TW :pissed:
Troll and proud of it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Noaln did get called up, didn't he?

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm

thebish wrote:Noaln did get called up, didn't he?
Not that I recall.

Think he scored 8 in our first season in the PL too, including THAT blinder at Old Trafford.

Had he been a spuds player, Wolly would have launched a campaign to get him called up.

Bah humbug.
Troll and proud of it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:37 pm

I must have dreamt it!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:39 pm

He got a couple of England u21 caps.

Mind, thats from Wiki, and when you read it through, its utter bumbling shite. It has us playing Bayern in 2006-7, and a whole host of other rambling nonsense.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 pm

as wrote:
as wrote:

You are correct, I sometimes wipe it from my memory when DMB's (especially one's I can't stand, which leaves Scholes then) score goals for En-ger-land and the pun on my username was uncalled for.

Although you arguing that Bolton player's do get called up (we've had 2 in a decade, in that time we've managed 4 top 8 finishes and 2 UEFA cup runs) is a funny one. Not remember a young Nolan banging them in during the BSA years? He didn't even make the U21's, let alone the 'real' squad.

And I don't dig holes, everyone is fully aware that I'm 99% wrong 99% of the time, I'm the spazzy darren of TW :pissed:
Because we were overwhelmed with talented Englishmen in our team during this period?

As far as I can make it, 3 out of the 5 players we've had in the last decade that could've remotely had a chance of being called up have been at some point (and I presume the two others, Taylor and Nolan, made it into a few of the longer squads).

The fact that the likes of Nicky Hunt, Les Ferdinand and Matt Jansen didn't get international recognition for their performances here is no cause for conspiracy.

I do believe it's easier to play for England if you're at Spurs or a top four team, but if you're good enough you'll get there eventuall

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
as wrote:
as wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Care to name how many players scored more goals in World Cup qualifying games? Clue: There's only two in the world – and one plays for Fiji, scoring five in one game against Tuvalu.

Because we were overwhelmed with talented Englishmen in our team during this period?

As far as I can make it, 3 out of the 5 players we've had in the last decade that could've remotely had a chance of being called up have been at some point (and I presume the two others, Taylor and Nolan, made it into a few of the longer squads).

The fact that the likes of Nicky Hunt, Les Ferdinand and Matt Jansen didn't get international recognition for their performances here is no cause for conspiracy.

I do believe it's easier to play for England if you're at Spurs or a top four team, but if you're good enough you'll get there eventuall
I though Sir Les had a bunch of England caps - just not with us when he was oldish.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.