Gary Cahill, Bad News...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gary Cahill, Bad News...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:56 am

Choppers wrote:20 million though and you'd think the chairman would step in and say "Come on mate..."
Well possibly. But then you have to factor in currently we have 2 fit recognised centre halves.

Our right back who can cover there is currently playing right back as our regular right back is injured.

So even if Arsenal came along with a 20M bid we'd need to sign 2 centre halves in January and pretty quickly.

We're struggling to get a deal done as it is. I can't imagine Coyle being overly willing to sell Cahill in January and risk it.

Also can't imagine Wenger stumping up 20M. There have been 3 windows where he's been strongly linked to Cahill and he's made no move and gone for other centre halves.

Chelsea on the other hand......

But still I don't think anyone will be going other than the fringes.

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm

But you are forgetting, none of us know Gary either. If a 20 million offer came in, he or his agent might say "Come on, this is a chance of a lifetime".

That last thing the club would need is if a worse case scenario played out and we had a stalemate.

I personally don't think anyone of importance (Lee, Cahill, Elmander, Holden) will be leaving in January. However, I'll be flabberghasted if Cahill is still playing for us at the start of next season.
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Choppers wrote:But you are forgetting, none of us know Gary either. If a 20 million offer came in, he or his agent might say "Come on, this is a chance of a lifetime".

That last thing the club would need is if a worse case scenario played out and we had a stalemate.

I personally don't think anyone of importance (Lee, Cahill, Elmander, Holden) will be leaving in January. However, I'll be flabberghasted if Cahill is still playing for us at the start of next season.
I think thats right.

As for Cahill wanting to go its an unknown and of course there is the "release fee" trigger. But I imagine Coyle's spoken to him and said stick with us till the summer. I've also heard that Cahill is only interested in a move if he's going to play, having been on the bench a lot with Villa. So that plays a part. He wouldn't want to go to Chelsea for example if he's just there in case Terry has a set back etc.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:17 pm

I would not rule Cahill not being gone by month end but only if the right price is offered. Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal need help, and it could mean the difference between winning or not winning the league this season. The stakes are high and none of those teams are very secure. Fergie certainly does want to let it slip especially to Man City. There is no guarantee that we will get the same price come summer.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I've also heard that Cahill is only interested in a move if he's going to play, having been on the bench a lot with Villa. So that plays a part. He wouldn't want to go to Chelsea for example if he's just there in case Terry has a set back etc.

if that's true - that he wants to be first-choice - then a sideways move is his only option (unless arsenal actually do stump up..)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I've also heard that Cahill is only interested in a move if he's going to play, having been on the bench a lot with Villa. So that plays a part. He wouldn't want to go to Chelsea for example if he's just there in case Terry has a set back etc.

if that's true - that he wants to be first-choice - then a sideways move is his only option (unless arsenal actually do stump up..)
Its what I heard of this January window, that he wants to move somewhere he'll play.

Might not be so true in the summer where he'd have a pre-season to establish himself and stake a claim.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 pm

not many "big clubs" who have £15-20m to spend, have (more or less) guarenteed first XI places available .... which is good.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:not many "big clubs" who have £15-20m to spend, have (more or less) guarenteed first XI places available .... which is good.
Indeed, I can imagine the thinking goes that moving in January is disrupting enough.

If you're then stuck on the bench for half a season its easy for your career to slide backwards quickly and you might aswell have stayed where you were for 6 months and carried on playing!

Move in the summer although you haven't got a "guaranteed" place you have a pre-season to stake your claim.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm

At United he'd be at best fourth-choice, as Ferguson said this weekend that he wants to play Jonny Evans more. That's without considering Chris Smalling, as I suppose we should, although I'm not sure why.

At Chelsea I'd fancy him to replace Alex. They're still missing Dicky Carvalho. Ivanovic can play in the middle but is arguably first-choice right-back.

At Arsenal he'd immediately become as close to a first pick as Wenger gets in defence. But remember that Wenger doesn't get defenders, he's very rarely bought decent ones (rather than converting from midfielders, like Lauren and Sagna, or even wingers, like Ashley Cole).

Thing is the Chelsea link hasn't really surfaced since just before we played them. So expect it to pop up again in a week before they come up here.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 pm

thebish wrote:

Do you think Burnley will make an offer?
:shock:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:35 pm

I've always said any bid above £12/13mil we'd seriously consider. If we're talking above £15mil I think Eddie Davies would carry him there. A fair few on here think he's absolute dogshit and we'd be better off playing Sam Ricketts, so I'm not sure what we're expecting to get for him.

Where has the bit about Cahill wanting first team football come from? Sorry, much like Coyle-Liverpool, I can't ever envisage seeing the headline "Cahill rejects United - opts to stay at Bolton".

LeDonk
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeDonk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Think with him playing against York we'll see him here till the end of the Season...
"I canny destroy you today lads, I'm on some very serious business"

Coyling - Maintains volume to those who still won't listen.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:24 am

To be honest I can't see Arsenal paying 20mil for anyone never mind a centre half who may only become cover when everyone is fit again. Similar at United who already have at least three good players for that position, but City would pay that much if they want him and so may Chelsea but on balance I think that he is here until the summer. Particularly as now he is Cup tied, but that wouldn't bother Liverpool or Newcastle or Sunderland, etc ,etc. :)
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

FaninOz wrote:To be honest I can't see Arsenal paying 20mil for anyone never mind a centre half who may only become cover when everyone is fit again. Similar at United who already have at least three good players for that position, but City would pay that much if they want him and so may Chelsea but on balance I think that he is here until the summer. Particularly as now he is Cup tied, but that wouldn't bother Liverpool or Newcastle or Sunderland, etc ,etc. :)

I'm not so sure it will take £20million... but... Wenger will be under pressure as Vermaillen has crocked himself again - and squillaci is out till well into february.. leaving only 2 recognised CBs...
Arsene Wenger has signalled his intent to buy a defender during the January transfer window after Thomas Vermaelen suffered another injury setback.
The Belgium international has been out of action for almost five months with an achilles problem, but Wenger had hoped he could be close to a first-team return.
However, the 25-year-old incurred an added complication on his road to recovery at the weekend, and Wenger is now facing up to the fact that he could be without his star defender for the forseable future.

enger is preparing his side for their semi-final first leg tie against Ipswich on Wednesday with Laurent Koscielny and Johan Djourou as his only two recognised centre-halves.

Wenger is a keen admirer of Gary Cahill, but will have to fight off competition from Chelsea and Liverpool, who are also considering a move for the highly-rated Bolton defender.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:53 pm

If Cahill has a release clause of £17 million, which is what is generally accepted I believe.

Why would anyone pay more?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:38 am

officer_dibble wrote:If Cahill has a release clause of £17 million, which is what is generally accepted I believe.

All depends on how many interested parties there are. Nowt wrong with a good old auction!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:27 am

Stick him on eBay and let the good times roll...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:If Cahill has a release clause of £17 million, which is what is generally accepted I believe.

All depends on how many interested parties there are. Nowt wrong with a good old auction!
hmm - but surely they all offer £17mill and the negotiation is with Cahill himself over HIS financial package? he benefits from an auction - not us...

i thought the release clause meant that at £17million - they are free to negotiate with the player...

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 am

Looks Arsenal is supposedly the front runner in the chase for Cahill. Don't expect them to offer the cash many of us were speculating/dreaming about. Wonder if a player will be thrown in to sweeten the deal in order to try and make this happen.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am

thebish wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

hmm - but surely they all offer £17mill and the negotiation is with Cahill himself over HIS financial package? he benefits from an auction - not us...

i thought the release clause meant that at £17million - they are free to negotiate with the player...
It does.

Coyle's comments last week imply that there is no £17mil release clause.