Bolton v Wolves

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton v Wolves

Post by thebish » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:yup and okocha up front
cool! :D

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm

cophilie and MJH-12 - you're both recruited 8)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Fook me I think they must've passed some wacky baccy through the window before it slammed shut.

Let's put a team out with 18 attacking players in it who are noted for their ability to tackle.

How the fook some people think we're going to be able to attack when we can't win the ball to attack with, is beyond me.
by...magic? :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:20 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Fook me I think they must've passed some wacky baccy through the window before it slammed shut.

Let's put a team out with 18 attacking players in it who are noted for their ability to tackle.

How the fook some people think we're going to be able to attack when we can't win the ball to attack with, is beyond me.
by...magic? :conf:
Whew, I knew I'd missed something. :-) Ta.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Plus, according to you, we'll have a team of 18 players out there...18 v 11, i like those odds ! ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 pm

cophilie wrote:
ratbert wrote:Match preview and report request time, pleasethankyou.
I'll take the preview if you're still looking for one?
Fire it in. It's yours. PM it to both Ratty and me because he's been away a bit this week.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:25 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Plus, according to you, we'll have a team of 18 players out there...18 v 11, i like those odds ! ;)
Still only works if we can magic the ball off them. :-)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Have we signed Tommy Svindal Larsen yet? Tonton Zola Mokouko?
Awesome player. I wonder how no-one went for him during the window?
Pfffft.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Have we signed Tommy Svindal Larsen yet? Tonton Zola Mokouko?
We had a late bid turned down for Kennedy Bakircioglu!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm

Relax, they're all free agents in summer !

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Let's not forget Supat Rungratsamee. Best player I've ever signed.
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:54 pm

FM11 - Mirko Livaja (freebie), monster monster

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Does Daniel Friedheim Holm still do the rounds on Champ Manager? Not played it for ages, he was quality

ebby
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ebby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:
We had a late bid turned down for Kennedy Bakircioglu!
he was legendary on champ man about 10 years ago...did he ever get anywhere in real life?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Ajax and Racing Santander - pretty decent

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:58 pm

I miss the transfer window...

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I miss the transfer window...

Me too.

What have we got left, except football?

I hate football.

Rubbish. Bring back ridiculous speculation.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:02 pm

You said it buster.

Plus, nobody talks.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Not sure what you are getting at here Worthy. Are you arguing that we should have brought a central midfielder in or that what we have is not good enough?

Anyway - we played some great games in the first half of the season by winning the ball in midfield and the 2 upfront playing well. That team was essentially:

------------Jussi
Ricketts---Cahill---Knight---Robbo
CYL-----Muamba--Holden---Petrov
--------SKD---Elmander

The absence of CYL, Holden's injury and poor performances from Petrov/Taylor/SKD has meant changes to the team and underperforming on the pitch. I also think that we have been found out by better teams in midfield when playing 4/4/2 and need to look at perhaps slotting in M Davies in midfield to shore up the numbers and add an attacking flair from midfield.
This is why I like the look of a 4-5-1 as per the General's suggestion:

---------------Jussi
Ricketts---Cahill---Wheater---Robbo
--------Moo------Holden
CYL-----------------------Rodriguo
-------------M Davies
-------------Sturridge

This gives us the 5 in midfield with an attacking option. Obviously we can't expect Sturridge to walk straight into the team but I like the thinking of trying something new up front. For me it also addresses the main weakness of the team which is the left side of midfield. Rodders is probably a better option than Petrov or Taylor given their current form. We now have the option of rotating the front player and/or changing to a more attacking 4-4-2 given the opposition/how the game is going etc.

A few words on SKD. At the start of the season I thought we had seen the best of Kev, but his performances up to the end of November were on the whole very good, and at times, excellent. Starting every game and playing 90 minutes has to take its toll, especially over the Christmas period, even for a younger man. I can't think of another forward in the PL who plays every game without a rest (though I am sure someone will prove me wrong). The addition of another striker now gives us the option of rotation of the front line. Rotating SKD out will give him a chance to recoup his energy levels and enthusiasm so lacking in recent games. We place too heavy a demand on him and not starting him on occasion does not mean we can't use him as an impact sub in those games. If we stop running him into the ground we'll see the best of him again.

On topic - We have to beat wolves. We should beat Wolves. We have more options now so freshening up required from Coyle. This is a good squad, better than we've had for a while, and we'll see some great games out of them again this season. Let's start tomorrow.
Last edited by Wandering Willy on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:

Not sure what you are getting at here Worthy. Are you arguing that we should have brought a central midfielder in or that what we have is not good enough?

Anyway - we played some great games in the first half of the season by winning the ball in midfield and the 2 upfront playing well. That team was essentially:

------------Jussi
Ricketts---Cahill---Knight---Robbo
CYL-----Muamba--Holden---Petrov
--------SKD---Elmander

The absence of CYL, Holden's injury and poor performances from Petrov/Taylor/SKD has meant changes to the team and underperforming on the pitch. I also think that we have been found out by better teams in midfield when playing 4/4/2 and need to look at perhaps slotting in M Davies in midfield to shore up the numbers and add an attacking flair from midfield.
This is why I like the look of a 4-5-1 as per the General's suggestion:

---------------Jussi
Ricketts---Cahill---Wheater---Robbo
--------Moo------Holden
CYL-----------------------Rodriguo
-------------M Davies
-------------Sturridge

This gives us the 5 in midfield with an attacking option. Obviously we can't expect Sturridge to walk straight into the team but I like the thinking of trying something new up front. For me it also addresses the main weakness of the team which is the left side of midfield. Rodders is probably a better option than Petrov or Taylor given their current form. We now have the option of rotating the front player and/or changeing to a more attacking 4-4-2 given the opposition/how the game is going etc.

A few words on SKD. At the start of the season I thought we had seen the best of Kev, but his performances up to the end of November were on the whole very good, and at times, excellent. Starting every game and playing 90 minutes has to take its toll, especially over the Christmas period, even for a younger man. I can't think of another forward in the PL who plays every game without a rest (though I am sure someone will prove me wrong). The addition of another striker now gives us the option of rotation of the front line. Rotating SKD out will give him a chance to recoup his energy levels and enthusiasm so lacking in recent games. We place too heavy a demand on him and not starting him on occasion does not mean we can't use him as an impact sub in those games. If we stop running him into the ground we'll see the best of him again.

On topic - We have to beat wolves. We should beat Wolves. We have more options now so freshening up required from Coyle. This is a good squad, better than we've had for a while, and we'll see some great games out of them again this season. Let's start tomorrow.
Frightening..