Bolton v Levante 8pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bolton v Levante 8pm

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:More than 6 a season.
That the best you can come up with? Impressive.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Thankyou very much.

Though I'll be honest, its not even my best.

I could throw in numbers like 7,8, 9 and 10. But that might be taking things a little fast.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Thankyou very much.

Though I'll be honest, its not even my best.

I could throw in numbers like 7,8, 9 and 10. But that might be taking things a little fast.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Pardon?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 pm

I guess Elmander's not the only one who fails at the first attempt.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:a fcuk wit? nice to see opinions are still valued on here. Elmander was utter dogshite for most of his time with us- and ai was one who gave him the benefit of the doubt for his first season and a half- Jerome might be equally poor but could hardly be any worse in terms of value for money.

i'm "anticipating" less than "hoping" but more prolific than Elmander would hardly be difficult.

"clueless twonk"- oh just feck off- i can't be arsed
They are valued but need a bit of substance. Latter part of the season, due to midfield injuries, Elmander played way out of the norm for him. He still put the effort in and did it well enough. Now he's gone, Eaves is injured and at this moment we've signed nobody in his place. Not much wonder I said I wished he were still here, is it? Elmander and Davies got eighteen goals plus assist between them last season, who's going to do it now?

Elmander was played in midfield only partly because we had injuries- mostly he played there because Coyle had to play our "star" somewhere while we had a far better centre forward in Sturridge who could - you know- control the ball, take on defenders and score goals. i'd also question the assertion that he did "well enough".
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:a fcuk wit? nice to see opinions are still valued on here. Elmander was utter dogshite for most of his time with us- and ai was one who gave him the benefit of the doubt for his first season and a half- Jerome might be equally poor but could hardly be any worse in terms of value for money.

i'm "anticipating" less than "hoping" but more prolific than Elmander would hardly be difficult.

"clueless twonk"- oh just feck off- i can't be arsed
They are valued but need a bit of substance. Latter part of the season, due to midfield injuries, Elmander played way out of the norm for him. He still put the effort in and did it well enough. Now he's gone, Eaves is injured and at this moment we've signed nobody in his place. Not much wonder I said I wished he were still here, is it? Elmander and Davies got eighteen goals plus assist between them last season, who's going to do it now?

Elmander was played in midfield only partly because we had injuries- mostly he played there because Coyle had to play our "star" somewhere while we had a far better centre forward in Sturridge who could - you know- control the ball, take on defenders and score goals. i'd also question the assertion that he did "well enough".
Wasn't Elmander in the top 4/5 in the Prem League top scoring charts at the point in time he was moved to a different position? Strange time to move a player.

That's not to say I don't think Sturridge is a better striker. He fairly clearly is. But then again, don't see us landing him for £8m anytime soon - do you?

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:50 pm

The way I seem to remember it, Elmander started the season guns blazing but entered a bit of a drought, right around the time Sturridge was lighting things up and injuries starting piling up. I wouldn't say it was one thing that moved Elmander to midfield, but a combination of all those factors. Either way, I don't think he would have replicated his early season form if Coyle left him in the striker position.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm

SonsOfThunder wrote:The way I seem to remember it, Elmander started the season guns blazing but entered a bit of a drought, right around the time Sturridge was lighting things up and injuries starting piling up. I wouldn't say it was one thing that moved Elmander to midfield, but a combination of all those factors. Either way, I don't think he would have replicated his early season form if Coyle left him in the striker position.
Not sure how you can claim that unproven. Pretty obvious why OC played him where he did. Options were petty thin on the ground at the time and Elmander said he'd play anywhere. Sturridge isn't a midfielder, neither is KD. Klasnic wasn't full-game fit. Elmander was the best option to give him a chance at getting forward and scoring and use his energy to advantage in midfield. I've no idea what wage negotiations, if any, took place, but it's pretty obvious, at least to me, wages were the reason he isn't still with us. A top earner on the bench earning nothing is hardly good management. All said, only what develops in the next couple of weeks will tell what was right or wrong.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?