REAM...............? Why?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

the-Bowtun-Warrior
Reliable
Reliable

Re: REAM...............? Why?

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
the-Bowtun-Warrior wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I believe he didn't show up for the Bristol City game until 13:45.

What time was he meant to show up?

10:30am.
And he'd been specifically briefed to be there at that time? Or he just turned up then because thats what he does?
Bit of both - by the sounds of things.
He seemed to think that the same lax attitude would be afforded him by the guys who where afterall under Coyle. It turns out they had other ideas.

All what I've been told, anyway.
Shame IMO because for me, Knight had been our best player bar Eagles for the opening period of the season

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 pm

I can't believe they'd all have to be there for 10.30am on a match-day. To do what exactly?

Anyway, by all accounts, people just did whatever the feck they wanted to under Owen Coyle. Even Dougie made reference to it today. I can quite easily believe Knight was one of them.

I quite like Zat and I think Ream's abysmal, but ultimately the issues are a lot bigger than one player.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 pm

A new broom will bring new rules but it's important they are communicated and their importance, and any penalties for breaking them, are made plain. Then it's reasonable to react if not followed.

If he was late, simple enough ... bench him. If when admonished he reacted badly then it gets exciting.

That said, the new rules need explaining also and if they are foolish then the manager can expect some reaction. I'm unsure why 10.30am for a 3pm ko makes sense.

However, "they just did what they want under Coyle" yet again confirms my view that he was lax & the sort of thing which 'helped' us lose that 'bite' we need.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm

You bench him for one game when he's one of your better players. Jiminhio cut his nose to.spite his face keeping him out for the away games IMO.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:In no way could our defence last season be described as solid at any point, unless you were comparing them to turds or summat.
Well, yeah, the defence was never great but the Ream/Wheater partnership was, by far, better than anything else we tried since Cahill had gone. Those two, Ricketts and Steinsson were our best back four at the end of last season.

Sure, Ream hasn't performed too well this year but apart from a couple of mistakes last year, he was good. All those people who are calling him awful now should go and look back on their opinion at the time, because there was very little criticism of him. If I remember right, people said he was lightweight but that's it. He was picked in the vast majority of 'best 11' set ups.

He has potential. However, like most people this year, he hasn't shown what he can do. Barring Davies, Eagles and Knight, not one of our players has been at the standard they were at last year and Ream is just another of those underperformers.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:In no way could our defence last season be described as solid at any point, unless you were comparing them to turds or summat.
Well, yeah, the defence was never great but the Ream/Wheater partnership was, by far, better than anything else we tried since Cahill had gone. Those two, Ricketts and Steinsson were our best back four at the end of last season.

Sure, Ream hasn't performed too well this year but apart from a couple of mistakes last year, he was good. All those people who are calling him awful now should go and look back on their opinion at the time, because there was very little criticism of him. If I remember right, people said he was lightweight but that's it. He was picked in the vast majority of 'best 11' set ups.

He has potential. However, like most people this year, he hasn't shown what he can do. Barring Davies, Eagles and Knight, not one of our players has been at the standard they were at last year and Ream is just another of those underperformers.

Pretty much agree with that SF
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:

Pretty much agree with that SF
Yep,dont write him off.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 am

I don't see why 10.30am is that ridiculous. From my limited knowledge of sports science and diet, the best time to eat is 3 hours before the game. You'd get them sat eating lunch together (they even did that in the 60's!). Also a light early morning work-out (walk in the fresh air, pilates, that kind of thing) is not uncommon. You want them rested, but you can talk tactics, psychology, man-marking that kind of thing. It's not like they do 9-5 during the week!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:18 am

Tombwfc wrote:I can't believe they'd all have to be there for 10.30am on a match-day. To do what exactly?
More likely to ensure they don't do things rather than do them; like snacking for instance. They must have some form of pre-match briefing or whatever. Then again, OC may have had a ping-pong tournament to see who got picked for certain positions. Sordell's probably rubbish. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 am

Now I dunno if 10:30am is for away games as well but sometimes if your watching football or even rugby build up, it sometimes says the teams have just arrived and this is maybe 1-2 hours before kick off. 4 and half hours before kick off seems a bit over the top.

cecil.bob
Reliable
Reliable

Post by cecil.bob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:57 am

Relentless09 wrote:Now I dunno if 10:30am is for away games as well but sometimes if your watching football or even rugby build up, it sometimes says the teams have just arrived and this is maybe 1-2 hours before kick off. 4 and half hours before kick off seems a bit over the top.
To be honest, if they tell the players to get there at 7:30am, they ought show up and just let it go. What kind of wages are they on? How many hours do they work during the week?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:04 am

I don't disagree Cecil, once a rule is set you should abide by it.

Though 10.30am for a 3pm seems excessive to li'l ol' me that is the managements call. I do assume it must have been accompanied by some form of tirade though as he didn't show even on the bench for Phillip's 3 games. Late should have been bench for the one game, & a fine maybe.

"Who the fck are you ... you aren't a proper boss & know fk-all about management ..." etc., etc would get the freeze-out
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:00 am

The 10:30am start sounds reet to me. They're fed by the club before every match. I seem to remember Davo was on Football First a year or two ago bemoaning that he hated dinnertime kickoffs in the Premiership because the club had them in at 7am feeding them chicken and pasta for breakfast.

Are they not required to do drugs tests too pre-game? Even so the Doc will still want to see them all, just to make sure there's no sprains or strains occurred during the night.

Anyway, as much as anything, the manager needs to know who's ready and available to make his final team selection. If the full squad strolled in at 2:45 all whistling the theme from the a-team it wouldn't leave any time to make his final preparations.
Businesswoman of the year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:21 am

Right, has this all started because someone saw Knight coming into the ground at 1.45pm? That was my understanding.

Now, what if, he'd already been told he wasn't part of the match squad and that was the time, those not involved had to report?

Whatever, its a new manager now and a new start. And providing his attitude is right, I want Knight straight back in there (can't believe I'm saying this!) because he's been the best of a very bad bunch of centre halves we've put out this year.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:47 am

My understanding (limited at that) was that he part of the squad, but on the bench.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:10 am

If theres any substance to the rumour (and lord, thats a big if as per) it seems the problems at our club run deeper than just OC. I would have thought it plain from the Chairman's own statements that 1) Phillips et al were in with a shot at being the management team. 2) If they weren't they were remaining at the club in their current coaching capacity whoever the new manager is. At the very least he'll have to deal with them on an ongoing basis.

Thats a bit of charlie large big potatoes action that says he's bigger than management team, team, club. F*ck him, if thats the case.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:36 am

Lord Kangana wrote:If theres any substance to the rumour (and lord, thats a big if as per) it seems the problems at our club run deeper than just OC. I would have thought it plain from the Chairman's own statements that 1) Phillips et al were in with a shot at being the management team. 2) If they weren't they were remaining at the club in their current coaching capacity whoever the new manager is. At the very least he'll have to deal with them on an ongoing basis.

Thats a bit of charlie large big potatoes action that says he's bigger than management team, team, club. F*ck him, if thats the case.
I think points 1 and 2 are a bit debateable, seeing as IMO it was clear that long term JP was not in any consideration for the managerial position. And 2 I think its unclear whether Lee and Phillips WILL remain as first team coaches longer term, based on what Freedman has indicated. None of that anyhow, would make the slightest difference, Knight and everyone else still should have been professional to the hilt.

As you say IF its true its a fecking disgrace. However, for me, if it is then it should have been dealt with and we move on with a new manager, who will have to decide on attitudes and everything else.

I'm still struggling to believe that a) they were meant to be there at 10.30am and b) he just sauntered in at 1.45pm.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:36 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:The 10:30am start sounds reet to me. They're fed by the club before every match. I seem to remember Davo was on Football First a year or two ago bemoaning that he hated dinnertime kickoffs in the Premiership because the club had them in at 7am feeding them chicken and pasta for breakfast.

Are they not required to do drugs tests too pre-game? Even so the Doc will still want to see them all, just to make sure there's no sprains or strains occurred during the night.

Anyway, as much as anything, the manager needs to know who's ready and available to make his final team selection. If the full squad strolled in at 2:45 all whistling the theme from the a-team it wouldn't leave any time to make his final preparations.
Ah, those niggling wrist strains. Tell me about it.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I can remember quite a few times seeing players drive past on their way into the ground, or signing autographs as they go into the hotel. That could've only been 12-12.30 at the earliest.

It seems to me that it'd be a pretty terrible way to prepare for a game. Bored shitless sat in a stadium for four and a half hours.

Anyway, what time they were supposed to meet is a bit of a moot point, I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be just over an hour before kick-off.
Dougie Freedman said, certainly, rather than wrote:Certain players believe the club was made for them and that will certainly change

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Dougie Freedman said, certainly, rather than wrote:Certain players believe the club was made for them and that will certainly change
Interesting quote. I can only think of one person that fits.