Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Biggest game of the season - Brighton @ Home

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

DOMED !!

C'mon guys. Pessimism. We need cynicism and negativity ... and we need it quick.

ffs.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Tickets arrived today, we're DDOOOMMMEEEDDDD
Pfffft.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm

We'll shit em. Reckon we're gonna get 6 wins on the bounce.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

It could well prove to be the biggest game of the season, but to put a pessimistic hat on I think the last 2 weeks of April might remain the deciders regarding any slim play-off hopes regardless of this result:

Leicester v Bolton Tue 16 Apr
Bolton v Middlesbrough Sat 20 Apr
Cardiff v Bolton Sat 27 Apr
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

seattle_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by seattle_wanderer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:12 pm

First game in a while for me, and I'm travelling 4000 miles just to see it (well perhaps for some other stuff too).
I reckon 2-1, with Stu Holden coming off the bench and scoring the match winner...

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 pm

With those kind of fixtures capping things off, I think our participation in the playoff hunt will be entirely dependent on how long we keep this winning run going.

Having said that I do believe that on a good day we're a match for anyone in this league, home or away.

Seamus' good leg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Seamus' good leg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 pm

seattle_wanderer wrote:First game in a while for me, and I'm travelling 4000 miles just to see it (well perhaps for some other stuff too).
I reckon 2-1, with Stu Holden coming off the bench and scoring the match winner...
Welcome back to the UK SW. How long since your last win?
..and more importantly, why no picture of your licence plate anymore?
See you @ the w/e.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 am

seattle_wanderer wrote:First game in a while for me, and I'm travelling 4000 miles just to see it (well perhaps for some other stuff too).
Always diplomatic to pretend to be interested in seeing family and friends when home for a Wanderers game. Your secret is safe with us.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
mrkint wrote:can you make the location of said meeting a boat?
In Taunton? Taunton is very much inland, dry and boatless. Domed.
It's got a canal. It's also home to the United Kingdom Hydrographic Office.
You're just picking on me now :cry:
Worse, its name is Anglo-Saxon for 'Town on the River Tone' - must be lots of boats.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 am

Live and learn! I thought coming from Seattle on the West coast would be a lot more than 4000 miles (in fact it is only a few hundred more). Miami on the East coast (about 2700 miles from Seattle) is about the same distance from Bolton as Seattle. Popping over the Pole sure saves distance.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:31 am

Dartisan wrote:It could well prove to be the biggest game of the season, but to put a pessimistic hat on I think the last 2 weeks of April might remain the deciders regarding any slim play-off hopes regardless of this result:

Hopefully, Cardiff are already promoted by that time, and play the U15's ... we'd still struggle mind.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Live and learn!

I thought coming from Seattle on the West coast would be a lot more than 4000 miles (in fact it is only a few hundred more). Miami on the East coast (about 2700 miles from Seattle) is about the same distance from Bolton as Seattle. Popping over the Pole sure saves distance.
It's a lot colder though.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:47 pm

The excited (and, conversely, the bored) may be pleased to know the BBC's Predictor thing still exists. See if you can rig the results to get not just Bolton relegated but Mighty Mick's Ipswich into the play-offs.

si2008
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: at my pc except on match days when i,m watching the whites

Post by si2008 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The excited (and, conversely, the bored) may be pleased to know the BBC's Predictor thing still exists. See if you can rig the results to get not just Bolton relegated but Mighty Mick's Ipswich into the play-offs.
I GOT US PROMOTED AS CHAMPIONS and Blackburn relegated :D

Jez
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jez » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Dartisan wrote:It could well prove to be the biggest game of the season, but to put a pessimistic hat on I think the last 2 weeks of April might remain the deciders regarding any slim play-off hopes regardless of this result:

Hopefully, Cardiff are already promoted by that time, and play the U15's ... we'd still struggle mind.
beat them at ours

leopold
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by leopold » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Don't see this as a must win. You'll be fine with a tie, and not even lost without a result. However, those stats for Bristol v. Brighton are correct zero shots, so could be there for the taking. Managing fatigue over the next two months will be the biggest trick for all teams. Bolton had a lot of good players come back from injury at the right time. It should at least be an exciting finish if nothing else.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 pm

We need the win to reduce the deficit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:We need the win to reduce the deficit
Indeed, it's over 100 million now.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Reckon we might be playing cardiff for 2nd place?

:D

Only joking.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

si2008 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The excited (and, conversely, the bored) may be pleased to know the BBC's Predictor thing still exists. See if you can rig the results to get not just Bolton relegated but Mighty Mick's Ipswich into the play-offs.
I GOT US PROMOTED AS CHAMPIONS and Blackburn relegated :D
I got a bit bored and had a little experiment: Ipswich win every game 9-0, Bolton lose every game 9-0, every other game is won 9-0 by the team who's lowest in the table. (I didn't say it had to make sense.)

In this bizarre fantasy world, Bolton fall into the drop zone the week after Easter - fickle, is football - and Ipswich's inexorable rise up the league sees them into the play-offs a week later. Because the teams below them are usually also losing, Cardiff stay top until the third-last weekend of the season - but just when all seems lost, they face hapless Bolton.

Brighton and Palace soon fall out of the play-offs but Leicester sit tight. Barnsley surprise themselves by tiptoeing into the top six with a game left but are kept out by a last-day loss at Huddersfield, replaced by Hull (who beat Cardiff).

By late April, Leeds somehow manage to freefall into the drop zone, presumably by only playing teams below them (and mighty Ipswich); Peterborough claw clear but then lose to Sheffield Wednesday, a result that also relegates Bolton with two games to spare. In history's tensest relegation battle, eight teams go into the last day with a chance of relegation. Birmingham, second-bottom at kick-off, beat Blackburn to relegate Rovers – but Peterborough's win at mid-table Palace means Birmingham go down anyway.

Despite a collapse remarkable even by their standards, Cardiff are champions by a point from Leicester, who manage to stay a point clear of Ipswich – but the Tractor Boys beat Hull in the Play-Off Final. Mick McCarthy is given the freedom of Suffolk but politely refuses – "There's nothing to see, no 'ills nor nowt" – while Bolton make history by becoming the first team to replace their manager with a postcode.