SKD testimonial happening

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: SKD testimonial happening

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Definitely going to this one if Campo is playing, I really hope they can get Jay Jay and Le God to play as well
Pfffft.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm

If I can work it as a visit home weekend I'll defo be there. Balls to Emma, Davo was king, and hopefully they'll get as many of the old boys back as possible.

Jussi's was shit, but I think that's because he still played for us so they made it a normal pre-season. Hopefully this will be more exhibition stylee. It needs to be about more than the football, because these games are always shite.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Only heard Campo & Stelios mentioned at the moment.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:22 am

I would imagine Hierro and Youri dont recall their time here as fondly as we do, and therefore probably CBA coming back for some testamonial?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:38 am

General Mannerheim wrote:I would imagine Hierro and Youri dont recall their time here as fondly as we do, and therefore probably CBA coming back for some testamonial?
Regrettably correct I fear.

Hierro was here one year, struggled for fitness for the first part of it ... and then showed to be possibly the best player I've ever seen despite being 37.

Youri was fantastic, but he was always more about himself than the club. His exit was a shambles and I don't recall him ever uttering one thing about his time with us .... not even when he turned up down the road.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:05 am

Hierro recently appeared in a Real Madrid Legends XI with the likes of Zidane, I think the SKD testimonial might be a step down for him.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Would love to see N'Gotty, Jay Jay, and Nolan( not a chance though)
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

lionelator
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by lionelator » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 pm

I find football in this country so difficult to understand.
Firstly, people who are constantly stressed about financial problems queue up to pay thousands of pounds a year to watch people play football, in addition to watching it on TV.
Those thousands contribute to obscene amounts paid to players who, realistically, don't deserve even a fraction of that, but it's maintainable because so many people spend their wages on tickets, despite spending the rest of their time complaining about how they're skint!

Then you find someone like SKD, captain for a long time of a Premier League football team, making a public spectacle, along with his wife, about basically being made redundant, something most of us have had to face at some point in their lives, just without the benefit of a previous salary of tens of thousands of pounds a week.
Even lower, his wife starts basically threatening the future of charities in the area.

Finally he gets his way, and gets a testimonial, which, as I understand it, is an opportunity for someone paid very very well for kicking a ball around for years, to get one match where the adoring public pay more money, in a non competitive match, which goes into the footballer's pockets, tax free.

And people complain about bankers...
SKD, for me, has absolutely massacred his legacy. Which is an absolute shame. Not that he'll care, like JT, with the amount of money they earn, they won't care if people think they're pillocks.
The average football fan, paying all that money though, I don't think I'll ever understand that.
A Wandering minstrel...

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm sure monies raised will go to his charity.

But I know where you're coming from
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 pm

That money is going to charity. They all do. Just like all those shit-bag England players give their match fees to charity.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.