Marvin Sordell - Future at BWFC

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Marvin Sordell - Future at BWFC

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:38 am

I'd be delighted if he ever became worth hard cash. Best offer we have, despite his recent run, is "we'll split his wages with you" (allegedly)

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:46 am

Worthy4England wrote:I'd be delighted if he ever became worth hard cash. Best offer we have, despite his recent run, is "we'll split his wages with you" (allegedly)
Very true. If we managed to get half what we paid for him then it certainly would be easier to acquire The Juke
Pfffft.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I'd be delighted if he ever became worth hard cash. Best offer we have, despite his recent run, is "we'll split his wages with you" (allegedly)
Very true. If we managed to get half what we paid for him then it certainly would be easier to acquire The Juke
I doubt we'd get much more than a Cravies type fee, though with the salary he's likely on, I doubt we'll get owt.

Holden midfielder
Promising
Promising

Post by Holden midfielder » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:12 pm

On FM I terminated his loan, brought him back changed his role to poacher and have him running on to Jink's flick ons. He is banging in the goals like a "boss" . I'll call Dougie and tell him all about my tactical acumen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:02 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Marvellous Marvin scored again yesterday (& missed a dubiously awarded penalty).

The man's a goal machine.
If Douglas played him similarly to Juke/Mason or Juke/Beckford I hazard a guess he'd get a decent return. However, I get the impression because he's a London boy and doesn't really care for living up North that's impacted on his confidence and general demeanor
He should become a Tube driver

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Marvellous Marvin scored again yesterday (& missed a dubiously awarded penalty).

If Douglas played him similarly to Juke/Mason or Juke/Beckford I hazard a guess he'd get a decent return. However, I get the impression because he's a London boy and doesn't really care for living up North that's impacted on his confidence and general demeanor

He could watch what's happening on either platform with those peepers.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:

He could watch what's happening on either platform with those peepers.
Nah! He'd probably get homesick if he had to go to Morden or Heathrow. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Under the right circumstances, he'd probably be a fantastic asset. I'm not sure now, or in the foreseeable, we will have the right circumstances. Pity really. When we signed him, he was sh*t hot property.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Under the right circumstances, he'd probably be a fantastic asset. I'm not sure now, or in the foreseeable, we will have the right circumstances. Pity really. When we signed him, he was sh*t hot property.
He had promise. I'd hardly describe him as "shit hot property".

He was about to sign for a Championship club when we gazumped them. Interestingly the manager of that club who had worked with Sordell at Watford felt the fee was way too high.

Which it was.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Under the right circumstances, he'd probably be a fantastic asset. I'm not sure now, or in the foreseeable, we will have the right circumstances. Pity really. When we signed him, he was sh*t hot property.
He had promise. I'd hardly describe him as "shit hot property".

He was about to sign for a Championship club when we gazumped them. Interestingly the manager of that club who had worked with Sordell at Watford felt the fee was way too high.

Which it was.
He'd scored a few goals in the 2nd tier and had his rep boosted by the poor judgement of Stuart Pearce as u21 manager. Absolutely no way he was worth £3M+. Who was the other manager? Mackay? Bet he was relieved, or maybe he'll get a job and sign the bugger up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Who was the other manager? Mackay? Bet he was relieved, or maybe he'll get a job and sign the bugger up.
Maybe he will. But it won't be for £3m.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:09 pm

one of those gambles which don't pay off

not the first time we have let players go for nowt that have been signed for big money

wont be the last

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I disagree entirely (not with you Jaffka). I know 3 Watford fans. I sought their first hand advice. A bit like when we sold Ricketts, they were a bit miffed that the fee was so low. And described him as shit hot property. Which, given him being an u21 with a good scoring record, he was. £3m is buttons for that. Whichever way you want to spin it.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Maybe he just didn't like Coyle or Douglas style of management? Or he's just doesn't like Bolton?
Pfffft.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:45 pm

He was a Ricketts-style gamble at the time. He probably thought he just had to turn up and within 18 months he'd be turning out for Chelsea, back on home soil. Really didn't work out like that. Clealry theres some problem beyond the managers, as he's not done owt for either of them. And considering they are oh so different in their approaches....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 pm

He was signed as a second choice signing on deadline day and then not picked, at all from then on despite us needing scorer. It had all the hallmarks of the new manager taking a closer look and thinking "Ooops !!".

None of which was going to help him settle. Then he started, bored I guess and also thinking wtf, to mope about and spend as much energy on Twittter than in training. He "felt homesick" which is certainly his fault but also the club (back the Ream & Nandogate) should maybe have spent a bit more time & effort on protecting its investment.

In the end though he's proven to be one odd fecker.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Yeah, it did seem bit strange that he wasn't played at the time. I've often thought that they maybe uncovered some injury that the medical didn't pick up and they were trying to rehabilitate him. But it seems incredibly unlikely, given the paucity of the medical team at the time.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Yeah, it did seem bit strange that he wasn't played at the time. I've often thought that they maybe uncovered some injury that the medical didn't pick up and they were trying to rehabilitate him. But it seems incredibly unlikely, given the paucity of the medical team at the time.
Maybe he had to re-learn how to run ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm

On his hands probably.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Sometimes it just clicks when a player signs for a new team despite being surplus to requirements at their previous club. Juke for example was not rated at Boro yet some think he should get player of the season for us. Sordell may be one of those players although he hasn't exactly set the world alight at Charlton.

Sordell does not seem to be a 'Bolton' player so we may as well cut our losses now.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.