Would you...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Would you...

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bwfcdan94 wrote:Why am I getting decked?

He has a big chin Dan, you see? The big-chinned bastard.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Looks like a c*nt sounds like a c*nt according to the web. I will retract my post immediately.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:37 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Looks like a c*nt sounds like a c*nt according to the web.
Harsh. Always a bit of a clown but broke some important ground as player('s representative), manager and chairman. Fascinating bloke, the like of which doesn't come along too often, sadly.

Anyway, as you were.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 am

Strange sort of guy but, as said, broke a lot of barriers and very inventive.

Kept Coventry in the top tier for 3 decades.

I remember him finding some safety excuse for defying the "every match on the final day must kick off at the same time" directive and so they knew 15 minutes from the end that a draw would suffice. ..... They drew !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:18 pm

Jimmy Hill never drew the distinction between having something to say and having to say something, the big-chinned cock. I can't erase from my mind his comments at half time in WC 98 between Romania and someone or other. All the Romanian players had, for some reason, decided to dye their hair blonde. Chinny Hill claimed that it was a means by which it was easier for them to spot one and other, like their bright red kits might not prove obvious enough. :roll:

Jimmy Hill: Absolute gobshite and over-opinionated prick from as far back as I can remember. A precursor to Alan Green.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Jimmy Hill never drew the distinction between having something to say and having to say something, the big-chinned cock. I can't erase from my mind his comments at half time in WC 98 between Romania and someone or other. All the Romanian players had, for some reason, decided to dye their hair blonde. Chinny Hill claimed that it was a means by which it was easier for them to spot one and other, like their bright red kits might not prove obvious enough. :roll:

Jimmy Hill: Absolute gobshite and over-opinionated prick from as far back as I can remember. A precursor to Alan Green.
And Jamie Redknapp. And Steve Claridge. And Niall Quinn. And Andy Townsend.

All pundits who feel they have say something anything, to fill airtime.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Jimmy Hill never drew the distinction between having something to say and having to say something, the big-chinned cock. I can't erase from my mind his comments at half time in WC 98 between Romania and someone or other. All the Romanian players had, for some reason, decided to dye their hair blonde. Chinny Hill claimed that it was a means by which it was easier for them to spot one and other, like their bright red kits might not prove obvious enough. :roll:

in one, very real sense, they do!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:07 pm

they do and the viewing figures encourage their egos, w**kers

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

in one, very real sense, they do!
True. But there are ways of doing it. I don't think it's an easy job. I have more sympathy when they are actually co-commentating live. But even then sometimes you can just tell who has something worthwhile saying and who doesn't.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:57 pm

Dan Maskell understood the absolute beauty of silence. We, the watching public, actually understand what's going on without some bellend like David Pleat talking all over it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Dan Maskell understood the absolute beauty of silence. We, the watching public, actually understand what's going on without some bellend like David Pleat talking all over it.
not on the radio though! :D

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

There's only one thing that'd make Andy Townsend any worse and that'd be to team him up with Clive Tyldesley. Oh.....hang on.....
Hope is what keeps us going.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Good job that doesn't happen on here!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Indeed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Dan Maskell understood the absolute beauty of silence. We, the watching public, actually understand what's going on without some bellend like David Pleat talking all over it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:58 pm

As I wrote a while back:

"Although he'™d readily admit to playing up to the image with his George Cross bow-ties and endless photo opportunities, Jimmy'™s more than just the class clown. Clowns don'™t lead unions into the abolition of wage restrictions. Jokers don'™t encourage attacking football by instigating three points for a win. Jesters don't foresee all-seater stadiums way before the rest of football. And buffoons don'™t get appointed Head of Sport by TV stations. (Well, maybe that one's debatable, but you get the point.)"

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: "Although he'™d readily admit to playing up to the image with his George Cross bow-ties and endless photo opportunities, Jimmy'™s more than just the class clown. Clowns don'™t lead unions into the abolition of wage restrictions. Jokers don'™t encourage attacking football by instigating three points for a win. Jesters don't foresee all-seater stadiums way before the rest of football. And buffoons don'™t get appointed Head of Sport by TV stations. (Well, maybe that one's debatable, but you get the point.)"
A veritable chinigma. Currently in a care home suffering from Alzheimer's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... entia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd forgotten about the time he was a stand-in linesman.