Max Clayton

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Max Clayton

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:35 am

A lot of the time he's been here. He's not had many starts (and don't remember that goal?) but he's had a lot of sub appearances and I'm yet to see anything to convince me there's a player in there. Sure it's hard coming off the bench and trying to impress but his decision-making has always seemed v poor. As I say, I hope he proves me wrong and he's still v young, but you can only go off what he's shown so far which has been pretty awful (though better tonight). Fingers crossed he just needs a bit of confidence from a goal or to build on tonight.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 am

Hall played well last night according to what I've read.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Very unlucky with the shot that ht the post-keeper and then went out to safety
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:31 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:From what I've seen (which admittedly is very little apart from a couple of youtube moments) he strikes me as a bit of a cocky go-lucky cockney.
Not sure you can hear Bow bells from Aylesbury :D

Glad he got a start and hope he kicks on.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:45 am

Max Clayton out for at least 4 months following an operation on his achilles tear. He has not had much luck since he joined us.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:53 am

malcd1 wrote:Max Clayton out for at least 4 months following an operation on his achilles tear. He has not had much luck since he joined us.
Mavis is his muse...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:07 am

Is Max Clayton actually any good? I'm yet to see any evidence if he is.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Is Max Clayton actually any good? I'm yet to see any evidence if he is.
not yet the real deal from the little I have seen - looks a bit lightweight

has pace, though - and that always makes you stand out at Bolton! maybe that is part of why people get excited?

his loss doesn't feel like a huge devastating blow - like holden or chungy were back in the day - but, then, let's face it - none of the current squad are the difference between success and failure!

his loss id a blow in that it give us fewer options - but none of the options were that great anyway!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:40 am

thebish wrote:
has pace, though - and that always makes you stand out at Bolton! maybe that is part of why people get excited?
Not to me it doesn't. We have a history of shit greyhounds from Roger Walker (look him up, kids) through to Bernard Mendy.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:03 pm

yeah - but Mendy was ace!! :-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Not to me it doesn't. We have a history of shit greyhounds from Roger Walker (look him up, kids) through to Bernard Mendy.
Stuart Storer!

Clayton shows promise, but hasn't had many good games. I think people get over excited about the youngsters because the senior lot are so shite. The only one who is really good is Clough and I'm not confident about him being more than a bit-part player due to injuries. Vela is overrated, not bad but the talk of premier interest baffles me. Walker is poor, a passenger most of the time. You want them to do well and come through but I don't see it with any of them.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Vela is a good player who needs a proper run in the centre of midfield. He got that during pre-season, played well, and even scored a belter at Oldham. The season started and he got dropped to the bench, then started one or two sporadically, before being shunted to right-back, despite us having signed two RB's in the summer.

Clayton has potential who also needs a good run of games. Since returning from injury, he's been in and out of the team. He played very well in his return against Brighton, and possibly would have got the winner at Preston had he not been fouled. I like him and I think there's a player in there, but it's so hard for someone to get in gear when injuries and personnel changes are against him.

Walker hasn't looked particularly impressive, and I don't think he will make it in this division. However, if we're going down, he might be decent in League One.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Jugs wrote:Vela is a good player who needs a proper run in the centre of midfield. He got that during pre-season, played well, and even scored a belter at Oldham. The season started and he got dropped to the bench, then started one or two sporadically, before being shunted to right-back, despite us having signed two RB's in the summer.

Clayton has potential who also needs a good run of games. Since returning from injury, he's been in and out of the team. He played very well in his return against Brighton, and possibly would have got the winner at Preston had he not been fouled. I like him and I think there's a player in there, but it's so hard for someone to get in gear when injuries and personnel changes are against him.

Walker hasn't looked particularly impressive, and I don't think he will make it in this division. However, if we're going down, he might be decent in League One.
Vela has to show he can play in midfield without going missing. So far I think the jury is very much out on whether he is even a mid table championship level player in his preferred position. As a versatile squad man he's useful but he hasn't grasped his chances as of yet to really show that he is better than other options.

I think Clayton looked really good in the little run right before he was injured last season. He was definitely developing. Injury has set him back though and this season, he's looked a way off the pace for me, apart from very fleeting moments in games.

Walker was thrown in too early for too long and I think that has set him back. Also has some niggling injuries apparently.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Clayton looked excellent for 3-4 games before he got injured last year. Not done much coming back this year, but it's a big ask for a kid with v little experience, coming back from a major injury, into a struggling side. Hopefully he'll get 6 weeks or so at the end of this year to get fit and more confident, full pre-season before top-scoring with 30+ as we romp to League 1 [/get sold for peanuts in a firesale in the summer, having avoided being sold for cashew nuts in the Jan window because of this injury].
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:Clayton looked excellent for 3-4 games before he got injured last year.
Well they must have been away games because I certainly didn't see them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Clayton looked excellent for 3-4 games before he got injured last year.
Well they must have been away games because I certainly didn't see them.
I thought he looked ok when we went on that little run before Christmas last year, in with Chungy. Not looked anything like, this season so far.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:16 pm

Jugs wrote:Vela is a good player who needs a proper run in the centre of midfield. He got that during pre-season, played well, and even scored a belter at Oldham. The season started and he got dropped to the bench, then started one or two sporadically, before being shunted to right-back, despite us having signed two RB's in the summer.

When we go down!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:20 pm

Hoboh wrote:

When we go down!

plebty of games left - keep the faith - it'll be reet!! :oyea:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:39 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

When we go down!

plebty of games left - keep the faith - it'll be reet!! :oyea:
Them 12 points (well according to Pulitzer prize winning journalists anyways) will take some recovery from :mrgreen:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Clayton hadn't got going yet. There will no doubt be a player in there but he'll be injury prone. Who does our medicals?