A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:11 pm
Oxford are shite and haven't won for 14 games. Win this and with the three game home run I'm thinking we're a very strong bet for another tilt at Wembley.
Now we all know what that means !

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Challenge, but not the University one. Away to Oxford, Sat Apr 15th 3-0'clock.

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:25 pm

We also continued to select Marcos Alonso and offered him a new contract
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm
I think the suggestion being made is that people's judgement is being clouded by his importance to our team.
That's the one.

As for understanding the full set of events etc. I assume the judge took those into consideration. On the "comparison events," which I suspect people also don't know full stories, was anyone arrested, charged and who was sentenced to serve suspended time?
My judgment isn’t at all clouded by what he offers as a player. I’d have absolutely been supportive if they’d suspended him from playing for a while.

The conviction is what you think distinguishes it. But wasn’t Madine jailed and we signed him after that?

The club also supporter Tofting when he was sentenced to prison time (but allowed to delay it iirc) for a similar incident to Dempseys.
Different club owners, different times, different brand positioning.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:05 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm
I think the suggestion being made is that people's judgement is being clouded by his importance to our team.
That's the one.

As for understanding the full set of events etc. I assume the judge took those into consideration. On the "comparison events," which I suspect people also don't know full stories, was anyone arrested, charged and who was sentenced to serve suspended time?
My judgment isn’t at all clouded by what he offers as a player. I’d have absolutely been supportive if they’d suspended him from playing for a while.

The conviction is what you think distinguishes it. But wasn’t Madine jailed and we signed him after that?

The club also supporter Tofting when he was sentenced to prison time (but allowed to delay it iirc) for a similar incident to Dempseys.
Different club owners, different times, different brand positioning.
Yeah. But if the only reason is to protect your brand then there are implications to making that decision. Especially in football.

Sharon has previously talked about giving people chances and I’d say this falls in that category.

If this is just because he’s played well recently I’d be pretty disappointed. I think Sharon would make the same call regardless of who it was personally. But we will never know.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:40 pm

Well, she has no choice now! If time it happens, it's with somebody we're trying to move on, her hands are tied

Anyway, I can see another Draw on Saturday - A team fighting for every point like Cambridge and we're away from home
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:40 pm
Well, she has no choice now! If time it happens, it's with somebody we're trying to move on, her hands are tied

Anyway, I can see another Draw on Saturday - A team fighting for every point like Cambridge and we're away from home
I'm.going for a narrow win. Full strength, no messing about with over-rotation. Charles to bag a couple.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:06 pm

Oxford haven’t won in 14 so we all know they are going to beat us. It’s nailed on. Dempsey own goal.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:54 pm

I'm glad I can still read sentencing guidelines :D

I think everyone has a line and to a large extent that's personal and fine. If it was that rag bastard from down the road I'd want him sacked. For this he needs to take his punishment and on his last warning, but I'm personally fine with them not binning him off.

Couldn't tell you exactly where my line is but it's "he's close but just the right side".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:38 pm

2 more unnamed players out injured now…oh dear…

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:38 pm
?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
?
In his press conference Evatt said we have two further players out with injury but didn’t name them.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
?
In his press conference Evatt said we have two further players out with injury but didn’t name them.
Jerome and Victor is my guess.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:42 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:10 am
Thought about this long and hard and, much as it pains me, I think he should go. I very much doubt he will , but he should.
What good would that do? Same as if he was a regular employee. A bloke in his 20’s makes a mistake out of work and is dealt with. I’m not convinced there is any scenario where also losing his job helps anything.

I get that in many cases someone might lose their job but I don’t see it as beneficial.

Apols, I realise the conversation has moved on, but, for the record, I ought to declare that I work for the Ministry of Justice and would be sacked for this offence / sentence.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 pm
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
?
Did he say they were “out” with injury? Dan Barnes’ report says “Evatt has now revealed that a couple other unnamed players are dealing with injury problems”. Now, Dan isn’t always very careful with his words - note the US-style missing “of” in “couple other” - but if (if) we take him at his word, “dealing with” might just mean managing recovery, hurting a lot, whatever.

If on the other hand Evatt has been quoted saying they’re “out” with injury - well, oh bugger, and let’s hope they’re non-Dion forwards….

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:47 pm

They've become hard to beat under Manning. Wembley aside, we're not working the opposition keepers enough. Let's get at em, good tempo, get some shots in and you know, occasionally lob a free kick into the box instead of working it slowly back to Trafford.

0-1 loss
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:37 am

We've got an easier run in and an extra game, so could afford to not win and possibly drop a place, but it does seem the kind of game serious promotion candidates should be winning.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:41 am

I think we’ll win you fannies.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:25 am

The equilibrium will be restored, peace will settle over the valley and the valiant heroes will sally forth and fight the savage foe, and...

Oh, right, that's that sorted. Now then, 2-0 will do, 1-0 is too edgy, and we care not about reputations. Just win. COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:) ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:39 am

Oxford haven't won in 14 games, therefore its highly likely that they will win - as we are normally the gift to teams looking to end a poor run.

Evatt mentioning more injuries to key players (potentially getting his excuses in early ?). A rumour is that MJ may be used at CB if Mbete is one of the injuries or dropped following Monday's performance ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:48 am

Yeah talk that Mbete is out injured - probably makes sense given he was hobbling round after his late 'mistimed tackle' on Monday.

Evatt talking about 'outscoring' Oxford is a clue.

But it all worries me a bit because Oxford will absorb pressure and go for set pieces and we're mainly vulnerable there I feel. And if they score first - we're in trouble.

Toal and Santos sound miles off too based on Evatt saying both still are in considerable pain. I suspect Santos will be back in a week or so tbh but I think its just caught us at the wrong time.

I've made my peace with it we won't get a play off place and frankly we are so bare bones now that trying to compete in the play offs would just be a bit 'meh'.

Its a shame. We've had some bad luck but also I think left ourselves too short in January at the back in terms of numbers AND experience. We can't do that again. If Aimson was here still we could I think make the top 6 and that MIGHT let Santos get fit enough to give ourselves half a chance. But even then its a half chance.

We are well stocked up top but I think this league means we can't risk leaving ourselves light at the back again next season. Especially with a back three. And especially if we're counting Geth as one because the lads fantastic and never lets you down but lets be honest he's not a two man centre half and that means that really we're lighter than we would be.