Wanderers Vs Man U

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Re: Wanderers Vs Man U

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Tombwfc wrote:The idea that we've got half a dozen full-backs who are all, to a man, utterly shit and miles worse than every other team in the divisions full-backs (except when they get injured, then their ability trebles), is clearly not true.
Armchair Wanderer wrote:What did everyone think of Pratley? The people around me were moaning about him when he came on but he seemed to do ok, albeit with the game already over.
I feel a bit sorry for him. In both home games, he's been brought on for Eagles at a period where we've looked quite good going forward, at which point we're playing three central midfielders + Petrov and it all goes to shit. By the end on Saturday it looked more like this....

---------------Jussi-----------------
-Boyata----Cahill----Knight----Robbo-
-----Davies-----------NRC-----------
------------Pratley-----------Petrov-
---------Ngog----------Tuncay------

Out of interest, what chances did we create? I might've blanked the rest from my mind, but I can only remember DeGea making one save from Klasnic.

that's all i remember and rooney clearing of the line

We can blame any player we want i blame Coyle honey moon period is over now time to show peeps what he is made of
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Tombwfc wrote: Out of interest, what chances did we create? I might've blanked the rest from my mind, but I can only remember DeGea making one save from Klasnic.
Davies had one cleared off the line, a decent header saved, Reo Coker hit the bar and Petrov basted a couple over. Have to count as chances surely?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

According to the BBC we had 13 shots on target compared to Utd's 9!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Utd scored with more than half of their shots? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Utd scored with more than half of their shots? :shock:
Aye and there is something of a trend here....

We seem to concede with every half mistake we make. Robbo doesn't press the ball a cross comes in, its a goal.

You see other sides concede loads of chances and make loads of mistakes and they still keep clean sheets. We seem to get punished for everything at the minute.

Jussi ain't at his best but I'm not having it that its purely down to him. Is it the way we're set up, that one mistake and we're done for? Is it the fact that a slight mistake that exposes Knight dooms us? Or are we just having a bad run of luck?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Utd scored with more than half of their shots? :shock:
And you have just the nail on the head. United have two world class forwards who took their chances well. They didn't have that many clear cut chances but the half chances they got they finished them.

We on the other hand have a ageing centre forward and a good finisher who will create very little due to his lack of pace. You may say that we created nothing for our strikers but our lack of pace when Davies and Klasnic play is worrying.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tombwfc wrote: Out of interest, what chances did we create? I might've blanked the rest from my mind, but I can only remember DeGea making one save from Klasnic.
Davies had one cleared off the line, a decent header saved, Reo Coker hit the bar and Petrov basted a couple over. Have to count as chances surely?
There was a period near the end when we were camped on the edge of their penalty area, I think Tuncay had a wild shot too.

Interestingly, as soon as Klasnic got the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the area he had two defenders make sure he couldn't turn. They obviously did their homework.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

John Doe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by John Doe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:51 pm

I was half hoping we didn't score a consolation. Couldn't have stomached a blast of 'I just can't get enough' if they had played it.
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it, and when he can.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm

:lol:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:58 pm

I suspect this might be the kind of season that if we spank some teams and get spanked by some others - it won't be a season of 1-1s and 0-0s...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:According to the BBC we had 13 shots on target compared to Utd's 9!
According to Opta we had 22 shots (six on target), they had 14 (eight on target).

We also attempted 29 crosses (nine completed) to their 18 (three completed, two assists). They attempted 37 clearances (23 successful) to our 14 (10 successful); 24 attempted headed clearances by them (15 successful) to our 5 (3).

So we obviously put them under pressure (we had 42.4% possession, far from shameful – by comparison Stoke had 27.3% against Liverpool) and they were very efficient at both ends of the pitch, where we weren't.

Sickening day, but we weren't outclassed. We'll do well to get 22 shots per game, especially against champions.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:According to the BBC we had 13 shots on target compared to Utd's 9!
According to Opta we had 22 shots (six on target), they had 14 (eight on target).

We also attempted 29 crosses (nine completed) to their 18 (three completed, two assists). They attempted 37 clearances (23 successful) to our 14 (10 successful); 24 attempted headed clearances by them (15 successful) to our 5 (3).

So we obviously put them under pressure (we had 42.4% possession, far from shameful – by comparison Stoke had 27.3% against Liverpool) and they were very efficient at both ends of the pitch, where we weren't.

Sickening day, but we weren't outclassed. We'll do well to get 22 shots per game, especially against champions.
you've got to be joking - we were a piss poor disjointed shambles

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Some of these stats are very misleading. Would a pee roll header from a corner count as a "shot on goal"? United's conversion rate might seem high but they fashioned clear openings apposed to our shots.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Did we? Didn't think it was that many.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:36 pm

KD has apologised to Tom Cleverley...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

He did 2 hours after the match, all the stirring in between was just nonsensical

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:47 pm

thebish wrote:KD has apologised to Tom Cleverley...
I had pasta bake for tea on Saturday - presuming we're just reporting news that was news two days ago

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:He did 2 hours after the match, all the stirring in between was just nonsensical
Talking of stirring. Some clever stage management by Whisky Nose?

Player has a suspected broken foot. Do you:

a) Send him for immediate medical treatment at a hospital or your own facilities 17 miles away, or

b) Tell him to put a suit on, give him some crutches and a ski boot and parade him around for the officials to see?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Fresh from Opta on the email...

Manchester United's chance conversion rate of 29.5% is by far the highest in the league (2nd is Man City on 19.0%) as is their shooting accuracy of 60.7% (2nd = Newcastle/Spurs on 50%), (we don't include blocked shots in these calculations). Curiously though, no side has ever won the Premier League after scoring more than 11 goals in their opening four games.

Like I say, they were efficient and we weren't. Say what you like qualitatively but I've seen far, far worse numbers than ours this weekend.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:He did 2 hours after the match, all the stirring in between was just nonsensical
Talking of stirring. Some clever stage management by Whisky Nose?

Player has a suspected broken foot. Do you:

a) Send him for immediate medical treatment at a hospital or your own facilities 17 miles away, or

b) Tell him to put a suit on, give him some crutches and a ski boot and parade him around for the officials to see?
B of course. It's Alex Fergusson, and the game was still going on and KD still on the pitch.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?